+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, RM Service and Support in General; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crt404 View Post
    I spent days trying to get a package built for Office 2007 on RM CC3. Phoned up their support... "oh yes, you'll need to purchase our integration pack"... £360!!! for an installation pack!
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Despite what you were told there is no requirement to purchase an integration pack, this does have mean that you just pop a cd in and everything is done for you, but you can create your own package for an Office installation.
    And this right here is the problem with RM support. Their default answer is to get you to throw money at them to fix the problem.

A few years before I started at my current school, the IT teacher discovered that a bunch of our internal machines - including both Domain Controllers - had externally accessible IP addresses and no firewall. RM's answer was to sell the school a Cisco PIX for about £500. All they actually needed to do was configure NAT and firewall rules on the existing Cisco router that RM had supplied and (mis)configured.

I've also still got the quotes for when they asked me for nearly £2,000 for two days work to install new hard disks in our primary server. The hard disks were also almost double the list price of the same drives on Dabs, which was apparently "because they have to be tested by RM to make sure they are suitable".
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 14th May 2013 at 05:51 PM.

Thank Post
    I would suggest you actually speak to people that actually have a CC4 network rather than people who "have heard about it..." And maybe visit a school that has it to see what you think.

I came from my last job which had a a vanilla windows network (actually lots of them as the company had 200,000 employees!) and I have had no more issues with my current CC4 network than I did on that one - in fact relatively speaking, less. CC4 did have quite a few issues when it was launched (we were an early adopter) but these were sorted a long time ago and I can't remember the last time I had to make a support call. I happen to like the facilities the system offers, but hey that's me.

As for equipment - well like anyone who is spending money you should shop around and haggle. We happen to use RM Ones as our standard classroom PC because we have found them to be extremely reliable and not poor quality at all. They also fit our needs in terms of resilience and footprint. Having said that we have just bought a number of Lenovo C345s for our 6th Form study area, and RM didn't win the contract to supply our new wireless system - net-ctrl did!

In short, do a bit of research - avoiding the evangelists and the haters, and do a cost benefit analysis. You should then be able to see what the best way to go is.

Thank Post
    As a reasonably large site that uses CC4 and has done from the outset i can tell you the current product is pretty much problem free, much of the information posted is miss information you are not railroaded into some kind of RM religious sect whereby you have to purchase everything from them or support dictate what you can and can’t do. We use CC4 for what it is a station, application & user management tool, we package most of our own apps and purchase curriculum choice packs for the pigs like CS4 etc as it saves time which is the point, we deploy mostly non RM hardware some of which we even purchased from RM because believe it or not they can actually get very good pricing on HP kit amongst others. We have lots of non RM related member servers connected to the CC4 domain which we support ourselves, all the servers & SAN didn’t come from RM but they are quite happy to commission new CC4 servers on it.
    The only criticism I have with CC4 is the time it takes to support new operating systems both client and server, we are still waiting on win 8 builds and server 2012 support and with the shorter dev. cycle on MS products I think RM need to shorten the turn around on this.
    All this said if you have the skills and time to install, support and document a system based around SCCM or similar then it probably makes more sense to go this route and you will untimely save on likening and yearly support costs.
    Ohh and for those who think RM support is expensive we pay less per year for RM secondary support than we do for Frog support and dev and I know which one is more useful.
    I can’t believe I’m actually singing there praises…

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    Ohh and for those who think RM support is expensive we pay less per year for RM secondary support than we do for Frog support and dev and I know which one is more useful.
    I can’t believe I’m actually singing there praises…
    To add to this if your partner with a RM ATSS Company this brings down your support costs to around £1200 per year.... Which is nothing.

Thank Post
    i worked in an RM school. it involved rebuilds all the time, when updates were out some would require rebuilds to all stations.

new school is none RM, rebuilds are only needed if a rebuild is quicker that solving an issue or is needed ie new HDD. makes life so much easier!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by One_Minute_Hero View Post
    i worked in an RM school. it involved rebuilds all the time, when updates were out some would require rebuilds to all stations.

new school is none RM, rebuilds are only needed if a rebuild is quicker that solving an issue or is needed ie new HDD. makes life so much easier!
    Core updating is still a pain but largely work now so rebuilds few and far between.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by One_Minute_Hero View Post

I would say that pointed more towards other problems than anything. I rarely have to rebuild stations and never as a result of updates.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12