+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Work Experience Tasks in General; Hi All, We've got a year 10 chap coming from another school next week for work experience and I was ...

Thank Post

Work Experience Tasks

Hi All,

We've got a year 10 chap coming from another school next week for work experience and I was wondering what tasks others have given to work experience people before? I'm hoping to offer him something that might be a little worthwhile, not just the menial tasks we don't want to do that week, i.e. I'm happy to go out of my way a little to make it worth while for him, not just try to benefit us.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Pete

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So a little more than making the brews then?

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dig out all your junk and get him to build his own PC from the best bits?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    So a little more than making the brews then?
    I'm sure that can be part of it too...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Dig out all your junk and get him to build his own PC from the best bits?
    Actually thought this would be a good first task for him, then get him to create his own AD profile and the gubbins that goes with it...Then theres the other 4 and 1/2 days...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've got much the same problem, we have a chap coming to us for a couple of weeks in July. Last year we had an internal student for a week. Most of the time I had him work shadowing our technicians. We support a number of primary schools so a couple of off-site visits is a must. I'll have him sat in the first response hot seat answering the phone and changing passwords, get a real sense of what our job is like Last time I had the work experience chap re-image a couple of machines and join them to the domain. We are currently transitioning to App-V so there might be some application sequencing work to be done...

EDIT: if all else fails there's always the threat of making network cables, I might have to order some extra RJ45 plugs just in case!
    Last edited by tmcd35; 13th May 2013 at 03:36 PM.

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pslater View Post
    Hi All,

We've got a year 10 chap coming from another school next week for work experience and I was wondering what tasks others have given to work experience people before? I'm hoping to offer him something that might be a little worthwhile, not just the menial tasks we don't want to do that week, i.e. I'm happy to go out of my way a little to make it worth while for him, not just try to benefit us.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Pete
    Speaking from previous experience, make it worth their while. There's nothing worse than having a WE person feel useless / used / bored. Make them do exciting tasks, get them curious into the world of IT. Maybe teach them a little about servers. Networking would be great. PC building is a good one too. If you develop your own little software or programs (e.g. programs on arduino) teach them a little about that.

Make them feel appreciated above all!

Thank Post
    Different industry, and many years ago, but daughter did a work experience placement with a fashion designer, and part of her week was some industrial espionage - looking in shops, seeing what was selling and what wasn't. Might be an opportunity for your WE student to do some planned web searching - and report back?

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketlane View Post
    Different industry, and many years ago, but daughter did a work experience placement with a fashion designer, and part of her week was some industrial espionage - looking in shops, seeing what was selling and what wasn't. Might be an opportunity for your WE student to do some planned web searching - and report back?
    God that would be a dire task. I think i'd walk out after the first 2 days.

Thank Post
    I did work experience in a school for IT, in fact it was the school i'm currently working in, I must have impressed because they offered me a job when i left school

From what i remember (it was a while ago) i was replacing UDMA cables with IDE cables (yes, THAT long ago) in a classroom suit then re-imaging the machines. I had a few tedious tasks like walking around marking down which machines were in which room's and connected to which network ports.

I enjoyed the break's and lunch times where I sat down and had a chat with the current technicians, I didn't even have to make the tea! but they answered any questions i had and taught me a lot.

If you have any tasks lined up like that i think it could be a handy, show them on one of the machine's, explain what you are doing and why, then let them try for themselves. Letting them play around with a server even if it's a virtual one would help them too, I find a lot of people who come in without training have a fear of servers because they could mess up.

Try to show them a wide range of what we do, its a very diverse job ranging from cable runs to day to day troubleshooting, plenty of opportunity to mix it up.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We had a student do WE a couple of years back, and she must've found it useful enough cos she came back every Wednesday afternoon for the next two years.

The big task we had at first was to set up a small room of computers - we cleared the lobby outside the front of our office, pointed at a pile of iffy machines and asked her to get 5 working computers scrounged out of it, including cabling, OS installation and all.

She's also helped me install rack mount servers & blanking plates, set up new laptops (including installing new sticks of RAM without any guidance from us, because we didn't know how either), tested software, website work... more or less everything that didn't involve the admin password.

Thank Post
    Updating the school IT equipment inventory. Get them going around checking make, model & serial of devices is accurate.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    Updating the school IT equipment inventory. Get them going around checking make, model & serial of devices is accurate.
    Asset registry is one step above photocopying. Twice I've given that job to (full-time) technicians and they've gone and found other jobs to escape the task.

/still bitter @spookyspoof

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @sonofsanta, you can add cleaning projector filters to that list too

Thank Post
    Back in the good old days of balled mice, you could assign them to clean the balls of every rodent on the site.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast