+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, A new ICT technician? For me? in General; So our business manager has managed to squeeze in a bit of money for an ICT technician in her recent ...

Thank Post

A new ICT technician? For me?

So our business manager has managed to squeeze in a bit of money for an ICT technician in her recent budget, no mean feat considering the drop in cash coming from the LEA. She has asked me to consider a job description and a pattern of working as we can only afford 7 (or 7.5) hours a week.

So - people in a similar situation: what pattern of working do you have your technician work? One day a week, two days, etc? What sort of use do you put them too? I'm mindful that 7 hours a week isn't much to fit in significant amounts of training nor get stuck in to anything meaty, but i want to make best use of the time..

Thanks!

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    7.5 hours... No offence, that's..... STUPED! STUPED I SAY!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    Yes that's your opinion however it's of no help to the OP who has stated they realise it's not a lot of hours but with shrinking budgets in schools at least some extra help is better than nothing.

Ben

4. Thanks to plexer from:

mrb-solutions (10th May 2013)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Do you have any pinch time during the week? Ideally helping over your lunch break but that would mean only an hour a day and not worth their time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    NOT NEEDED! NOT NEEDED I SAY!

I work a 5 hour contract at one school doing 2.5 hours on two days in the week.

I sort out any IWB, laptop problems and and anything associated. I generally just fix problems and advise on improvements to be made. Any stuff that is more than that then support companies come in and do it under instructions from me.

The time im there is just usually spent fixing the issues that have arisen during the week.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,821 Posts
    When I worked 10 hours a week it was 2 hours every day but then I was the only tech so visibility was all. It depends what you want. If you want the tech to handle the day-to-day "my computer won't switch on"-type issues then I would split it into three days. If you want help with longer/bigger tasks, then maybe 2 days of 4 and 3.5 hours

Thank Post
    It will depend on the school. We currently do support for some of our feeder primaries and they tend to opt for 1/2 day a week at most. Most secondary schools I know of have full time techs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Yes that's your opinion however it's of no help to the OP who has stated they realise it's not a lot of hours but with shrinking budgets in schools at least some extra help is better than nothing.

Ben
    Well, i dunno. I think offering a appentership would be beneficial instead of a actual post. Plus, you may get someone who would be keen after 3 years to stay, and they might have the funds. Either way, 'tis my opinion as you stated

Quote Originally Posted by hardtailstar View Post
    NOT NEEDED! NOT NEEDED I SAY!
    You take that back! Back i say!

Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    It will depend on the school. We currently do support for some of our feeder primaries and they tend to opt for 1/2 day a week at most. Most secondary schools I know of have full time techs.
    Yeah they do, but i know quite a few secondary who only have 1 tech for the whole IT department (about 600 - 700 machines). Madness! Madness i say!

Thank Post
    would it be worth getting in a support company. (this is what i do) whereby you pay for x hours a week of time from them (the tech can then do other schools so its not such a small / part time job.

Thank Post
    7.5hours ... Make sure they don't go for a long toilet break.

Thank Post
    I will be the first to say - 7 hours a week is not ideal, but as Ben said, some help is better than none. Especially as its just been me here, in a school of 600 kids, doing all the IT. And covering large chunks of a sick data manager's job. And getting to do the tricky bits of the timetable

I'm thinking 2 or 3 days a week and the hours divided equally is probably going to be best. Ideally i'd have someone on site every day, but i don't think it reasonable to expect someone to work just an hour and a half at a time. Also some jobs are inevitably going to take a while to complete and aren't conducive to dropping tools part way through.

Job role i'm thinking is going to be mainly the 'can't print' and 'projector don't work' jobs, but i also want someone who will patrol the ICT rooms and proactively sort problems. we have trouble with ICT rooms being neglected as they're bookable resources and don't 'belong' to anyone.

We did think about apprentiships, but it wasn't a good match. If we were to do t, it'd have to be done properly and i just haven't the time to train someone up from first principles. The external support company is an interesting idea, but i suspect we'll want to keep it in-house. There has been a history here on relying on external bodies (the LEA) and its become clear that the services levels offered aren't amazing...

Thank Post
    I'd either go for one full day or two mornings and utilise them either as someone who can go to location X and get job Y done or as an interruption shield for me (all calls go to their phone, all walk-ins are handled by them).

That way you get an mostly uninterrupted day / two mornings to concentrate.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    That way you get an mostly uninterrupted day / two mornings to sleep.
    Changed so that the truth be told!

15. Thanks to Sunnyknight from:

matt40k (10th May 2013)

Thank Post
    I'd happily take a tech for 7 hours a week to cover whiteboard and printer issues!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Blog Entries
    7.5 hours a week, could do 2.5 hours a day for 3 days, or 1 day a week with the day alternating (Monday week 1, Tuesday week 2, Wed week 3 etc). Also allows them to experience different days of the week.

I had someone unpaid for an entire year, and when he came to being paid, he was given a full contract because they saw the value in him, so it may be worth that.

Add in, if your establishment has any training schemes (MS Cert provider or any GNVQs etc, might be worth seeing if he/she could be squeezed on there)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast