+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, A new ICT technician? For me? in General; Originally Posted by cheredenine We did think about apprentiships, but it wasn't a good match. If we were to do ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cheredenine View Post
    We did think about apprentiships, but it wasn't a good match. If we were to do t, it'd have to be done properly and i just haven't the time to train someone up from first principles.
    Could that be short term pain, long term gain though? I've wanted an extra Tech for I don't know how long and could never get one but we will soon be getting an apprentice. Initially it may be more work for me but hopefully I'll soon see the benefits especially as they will be full time, all year round the same as me and the existing Tech.

Thank Post
    Great news....

If it's 7.5 hours at the price of getting in a tech company maybe you can say you'll get almost double that by actually employing someone.

If not one day a week is much better then spreading it out.

When I worked 2 x 3.5 hours at a school all i was doing was finding out what had gone wrong and fixing them, always had to stay a little late which really wasn't ideal. I now do another school and its 1 full day. I get to fix the problems if there are any, and then look at moving the school forward. This is the bit that normally gets left, technology breaks we all know that but their use becomes stagnant with in the school. If you get a good tech, they'll also be able to help with improving the staffs confidence and using the technology in other ways rather then just buy and replace. (My opinion)

Also have a look at other local schools, I'm employed full time by one but as I am wanted by a couple the head "pimps" me out. It's a bargain rate for the other school. Saves my current school money in tough times and I get to not always be in one place. It may be you employ a cluster technician and then if an emergency happens at yours they can juggle some hours around to get it fixed.

Thank Post
    7.5 hours per week on what salary/hourly rate?

There are companies out there that can offer apprentice rates at a silly rate and the school also receive a 1500 rebate. The company pays the candidate and the school contributes to the training at approx 3-5k per year for two years. They work 37 hours a week full time all year. They have to be between 16-18.

It really is cheap as chips.

Thank Post
    We have just got a new 15hour a week tech. I know its a bit more that 7.5 but its still hard to manage.

He does 3 days a week. THe problem you get is you cant save jobs for them as users would be waiting days to get anything fixed.

At the moment we got him on a maintenance schedule that once a month he goes round all the machines, switches them on and checks mice/keyboards etc are working, does the projector filtes, and general stuff like that. You do need to make sure they arrive early enough to do bit and pieces before staff get it. Our temp techy started getting in at 9-9:30 which was useless.

It does tend to turn into a more maintenance job rather than actually helping you with fixes.

As people have said though, there are plans to increase his hours in the future depending if our idea gets the go ahead..
    Last edited by dany2010; 10th May 2013 at 03:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Even 2 afternoons a week could be good. You can save up all of the unimportant yet time consuming tickets for them to do. There are plenty of people willing to work part time, especially those with small children who put them in nursery for half a day at a time (we used to do that).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,597 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Even 2 afternoons a week could be good. You can save up all of the unimportant yet time consuming tickets for them to do. There are plenty of people willing to work part time, especially those with small children who put them in nursery for half a day at a time (we used to do that).
    Most working Mums prefer a slot in school hours though. Hours straddling lunch time so you get to eat could be good!

Thank Post
    When I worked in education IT I was working at my school part time after the teaching day had finished. I generally did two hours at the most each day.

I felt I got quite a bit done in the short time because most of computers were free and the staff had time to explain the problem and show it to me if needs be. Most of the time I was dealing with the small bits such as changing toners, plugging things in (yes really!), cleaning projectors, and other such tasks. Generally I just looked at our help desk database and did the tasks that I knew I could do given the time and my skills.

So my point is, I think it would be beneficial if the tech had hours outside of teaching time to maximise productivity otherwise they may spend half the time trying to do things but staff/computers not being free.

Thank Post
    I think to be fair to the person applying for the job, you need to look at two half days. To come in to school for an hour or two each day would cost quite a bit in petrol if they had to drive some distance. Good luck.

Thank Post
    So - people in a similar situation: what pattern of working do you have your technician work? One day a week, two days, etc?
    I would think either one day a week or split across two days. Beyond that and I think it would be a case of diminishing returns. You might find it a struggle to recruit someone suitable for those hours though.
    What sort of use do you put them too? I'm mindful that 7 hours a week isn't much to fit in significant amounts of training nor get stuck in to anything meaty, but i want to make best use of the time..
    Look at the tasks you're doing/need help with and factor in with their job description. I would imagine that things they can do will drop out of that. Do you have a helpdesk? You could use that to assign suitable things when the person is in.

Thank Post
    Apprentice is seriously worth considering.

Great value for the kind of jobs you are looking to fill.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the feedback everyone - sounds like one full day or two half days would work best, maybe on a rotation depending on candidate. I am mindful that even part-time jobs can be tricky to fit in to your schedule; my wife has found that when looking for part-time jobs and all the employers want someone for 1.5 hours a day!

Will look again at apprenticeships, but still mindful of the extra load in training them up as want to do it properly...

Thank Post
    I've been offered the same here to take some of the rubbish that comes in the door, i'm looking at doing 2 halfish days. The jobs that can wait will till they are in and those days they are in i'll get on with more of the management part of my job not changing toners.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12