Poll: What not-in-my-job-description stuff have you been asked to fix?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Is that in my Job Description? in General; I think that moving 4 330Kg big square bales was the strangest one, then having to return the trailer they ...

Thank Post

Re: Is that in my Job Description?

I think that moving 4 330Kg big square bales was the strangest one, then having to return the trailer they came on to the farm with the caretaker's pickup truck. Was rather fun though

Thank Post

"You have a swimming pool? Lucky you. If we had one at least I'd have somewhere to drown people by holding their heads under water...."
    How I so wanted to do that at times.

Not any more I left that school as it was far to stressfully to work at and it was at a really odd and unique place never been in another school like it. It was a special needs school with Nursery, primary, secondary and post 16 in one building so 3 to 19 year olds. Along with a swimming pool, sensory room, padded room e.c.t

They also had a physio therapist, Occupational therapist, Speech and Language therapist, behaviour management, NHS Nurse office and Outreach departments. Each are their own department and room, fully staffed but not funded by the school yet are integrated into the school.

Going to shows was real fun when you have to wear those badges saying if you’re a primary, secondary e.c.t school. Lots of confused looks.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 741 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey
    padded room
    Was that for you? LOL

Thank Post

padded room
    I know of one school which used to have their own Police officer on site. The Police got sick of rushing someone out there and then tying up the squad car for hours while problems were resolved, so they opted to station someone there permanently!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NickJones
    padded room
    I know of one school which used to have their own Police officer on site. The Police got sick of rushing someone out there and then tying up the squad car for hours while problems were resolved, so they opted to station someone there permanently!
    We've had that for about 4 years now. Not that it makes a difference because kids can pretty much get away with murder before a big deal is made of it.

Thank Post

The daftest thing I got to repair was a bird box. When I fixed it they then wanted me to fit cctv in it and mount it in the grounds so that the kids could see a birds nest.

I have got to the point now where if its got a plug on it I get it and get anything from toasters to electric drills.

Richard

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 741 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yikes, what's the world coming to when we have to have coppers stationed on site?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy
    Yikes, what's the world coming to when we have to have coppers stationed on site?
    I actually blame the government on this one. Kids these days lack discipline, and the more naughty ones KNOW they can get away with murder.

Contraversial Subject:

As adults we cannot touch them, and they're practically immune to any form of punishment by law!

When I was a wee nipper if I stepped out of line I'd get a clip round the ear and shouted at, put me back in line, and I basically never did it again. Do that to a kid these days and you'll be serving time in a jail!

I do understand that we have to keep an eye out for child abuse and things like that, but the sheer lack of punishment that children recieve for wrong-doing is most certainly what is causing kids these days to run riot.

Tried to beat some other kid up?

"Don't do that again, that's not very nice". A kid is NOT gonna learn from that are they? They'll shrug it off and carry on doing what they just did knowing that they're able to get away with it with barely any reprocussions.

Get a clip round the ear and made to carry heavy buckets of sand up and down a staircase for an hour (health and safety lol!) then they're not going to do that again, oh hell no.

Sad but true. Kids get away with murder because they can, and it's pretty much down to legal regulations that protect children so much that they're practically invincible by law.

If you get stabbed by a kid, what legal processes would the child go through? Would they serve a sentence as long as an adult would? Would they serve one at ALL?

How about if an adult stabbed someone? Is the law going to provide an equal sentence? Like I said, contraversial subject :P

Thank Post

The school's alarm system: Well we've been blamed for the bells between lessons being 2 mins fast as it was "synchronised" with receptionists PC i.e. somebody read the time and then programmed it in. It either gained time or they did it wrong.

The heating system: Nope.
    The CCTV system: Yup.
    The telephones. Yup - ancient system that barely works, management "server" is win 98, and voice mail doesnt run unless you log after reboot
    Make a personal purchase on Amazon for a staff member as it's 'too complicated'... : once had an "ICT technician" from an agency who was having a bit of trouble using ebay.
    Teacher's home wifi: and wired internet connection
    Teacher's own/kid's/granny's home pc. : yep. and printer. Often it's a corridor "i've got X prob with my [insert as applicable] what do you think it could be" job
    Photocopiers. Repographics usually deal with these but we have been known to sort out paper jams.
    Sewing Machines. : no. thankfully
    Other (please provide details for our entertainment).
    Now some fun ones:

Be responsible for 3rd party software ("why doesnt it run on xp it says it will run on windows 3.1")
    Be responsible for 3rd party webpage availability. ("The internet is down", "no it's not", "yes it is i can't access google/msn/yahoo/whatever their home page is")
    Be responsible for providing power to the school at all times, even in a power cut: (call recieved at home at 19:30ish: "I cant access ePortal", "There's a power cut at school", "I'm not at school", "But the server is", "but i need to do these reports by [date] what do you want me to do", "......theres a power cut........", "yes but these need to be done", "goodbye")

As well as the common Lighting rig, sound system, school wide content display system. If it has a plug, it's ICT and uses electrickery it's ours.

Thank Post

As has been said; anything which runs on electric is my responsibilty. Im even the school photographer!

DMX lighting
    Re-wiring sound systems etc - good job these 2 are my hobbies as the setup we've got is far from understandable by any mear mortal. God knows what they'll do when i leave!

Just been re-arranging the admin office ferniture

Been to collect a fridge from commet before

Nearly arranged a "jap-car" meet and DJ event at one of our school fairs - lol -

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12