+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Dying Hard Drive in General; Offered to help a friend (1st mistake..) with their dying hard drive, it was blue screening their laptop on boot ...

Thank Post

Dying Hard Drive

Offered to help a friend (1st mistake..) with their dying hard drive, it was blue screening their laptop on boot up, removed drive and plugged into my laptop with a caddy and I can see there are many errors with the drive. I can see the files but when I try and copy them they slow down and then after a few the drive fails to respond and then removes itself from my machine. Stuck the drive back into the laptop and ran Spinrite on it and that repaired enough of the drive for it to now boot up to windows but every task takes about an hour to action. It is now plugged into a different machine and is copying, but it freezes and fails. I have tried to image the drive to another drive to boot from that and it fails with io errors.

Any other tips to try and get their only copy of 16gbs worth of photos off the drive? I have succeeded many times recovering data from dead drives so I don't want to let this one beat me.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Could try the old freezer trick but it's unlikely to stay cold for enough time to get 16GB off of it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Hang it back off your machine and run chdsk on it if you can. This solves quite a few issues I find. Then try and copy a few files at a time onto your machine or wherever. It will take forever but this way you will be able to narrow down which ones fail and leave them out.

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Leave it disconnected, untouched for a day.

I had my old WD die out on me, but literally, 4 hours prior to that, i managed to get my data off. Leave it still.

Thank Post
    Spinrite ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Could try the old freezer trick but it's unlikely to stay cold for enough time to get 16GB off of it.
    Yes, tried that before, dont want to risk it with this one at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Hang it back off your machine and run chdsk on it if you can. This solves quite a few issues I find. Then try and copy a few files at a time onto your machine or wherever. It will take forever but this way you will be able to narrow down which ones fail and leave them out.
    Tried that, it did complete and claim to have fixed some errors but the drive has smart problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    Leave it disconnected, untouched for a day.

I had my old WD die out on me, but literally, 4 hours prior to that, i managed to get my data off. Leave it still.
    Left it for 48 hours in an anti static bag in the same position as it would be in the laptop (upside down in this case)

Quote Originally Posted by free780 View Post
    Spinrite ?
    GRC|SpinRite 5.0 to 6.0

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    Any other tips to try and get their only copy of 16gbs worth of photos off the drive?
    You could take the mean option. Bin the drive and say "serves you right for not backing up!".

Failing that, if you do get the data off, be sure to explain just how close they were to loosing everything. So much so that they shower you in hugs, kisses and beer for your efforts.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    You could take the mean option. Bin the drive and say "serves you right for not backing up!".

Failing that, if you do get the data off, be sure to explain just how close they were to loosing everything. So much so that they shower you in hugs, kisses and beer for your efforts.
    The riot act has been given out and they have already repaid me by replacing my garden gate, but we are all going to the BTCC together this weekend for my birthday so I expect to be passing the beer tab in their direction

9. Thanks to Danp from:

Rawns (30th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Download RuntimeSoftware's GetDataBack. They do an NTFS and a FAT version. They offer a free trial and you only pay for the software if it successfully finds the data to allow you to retrieve it. I use it regularly for clients whose drives have failed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    Download RuntimeSoftware's GetDataBack. They do an NTFS and a FAT version. They offer a free trial and you only pay for the software if it successfully finds the data to allow you to retrieve it. I use it regularly for clients whose drives have failed.
    GDB will probably encounter the same issues as the disk check and copy attempts but is worth a try. I have had the same issue before and could not complete the initial disk scan.

Thank Post
    It is currently plugged into a very basic machine with indexing off and I am able to copy the files a few folders at a time to the machines local drive. Every few files it errors so I am telling it to skip those. If my friends ends up with 80% of the files they will be happy

Thank Post
    Tried a linux live disk? Just incase it can do something windows cant?

Thank Post
    I got data off a hdd like this by putting a powerful squirrel cage fan directly above the drive to really cool it! blow air on the circuit.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you tried to image the disk? That way you can pull the files out of the image. That's if the drive stays live long enough that is.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Have you tried to image the disk? That way you can pull the files out of the image. That's if the drive stays live long enough that is.
    Yes, it failed every time. Tried with Ghost and PING as well.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast