+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Any good Android navigation apps in General; Originally Posted by LosOjos Did you all know Google Maps has the ability to download maps and make them available ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Did you all know Google Maps has the ability to download maps and make them available offline?

Just press the menu button and there's a "Make Available Offline" option. Zoom out until the blue box covers the area you want to download, and wait. I use this quite often to download entire cities I'm visiting so I'm not reliant on having a signal to be able to use Sat Nav.
    Had never realised you could do this...So mucho respect for that tip!

Thanks @LosOjos

Thank Post
    Did you all know Google Maps has the ability to download maps and make them available offline?

Just press the menu button and there's a "Make Available Offline" option. Zoom out until the blue box covers the area you want to download, and wait. I use this quite often to download entire cities I'm visiting so I'm not reliant on having a signal to be able to use Sat Nav.
    Yes and for the most part G Maps is fantastic and has lots of stuff hidden away. Only issue is when I go to France in the camper I am not always sure where I want to end up so need 100% downloaded always offline map. That said I have always managed to find a McD's with wireless or turn on data connection to get missing Gmap data.

I have decided to give CoPilot a go along with some of the free ones so will post back my findings.

Thank Post
    but even with that or decent connection its poor at directions esp roundabouts it often for me diddnt say things like exit 3 it just said exit when you got near it picked a strange route and was generally poor

Thank Post

I do the same with the app Maverick. You get the choice of any kind of map on there, not just Google. Really good for OS maps.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    There was a big chunk of the A1 that has no route for it in google navigation as I found out on the way to Newcastle on sunday

The road is there as it still showed me driving on it.

I looked on the pc yesterday and it was still showing this nice diversion but doesn't appear to be now. Weird.

Ben

Thank Post

Google maps does, navigation is still live

Thank Post
    Another vote for NavFree. I use it on my iPhone and have found it every bit as good as Tom Tom.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Google maps does, navigation is still live
    I used cached Google maps with navigation on a recent holiday abroad, and it worked just fine. I had taken the precaution to turn all data off for the duration, mind you.

My main gripe with Google navigation is that you don't get the option to have certain routing selections by default, mainly for the "No Toll" option, which when you live close to the M6 toll road is a must - I sometimes wonder if they aren't in cahoots with the operators given how insistent they are on routing along that damned thing.

Thank Post
    Another vote for navfree. I've used the South Africa and Portugal maps and got there. It has some odd ideas about the best route but that's for areas where I know better. If you haven't a clue, you're non the wiser.

Good tip about downloading the google map.

Thank Post
    I would recommend Sygic. Co-pilot is good but the maps are washed out to me.

Brett

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12