+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
General Chat Thread, New phone again! in General; ...
  1. #1
    TechSupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,883
    Thank Post
    297
    Thanked 120 Times in 101 Posts
    Rep Power
    41

    New phone again!

    Sorry but a new phone request again. Daughters phone runs out of contract next week and apparently I am the worst Dad in the world as I have done nothing about it yet! She would 'like' an iPhone 5, mins not an issue, prob get away with 1gig data but prob need plenty txt. Could I get that for what I pay for her current phone which is £20 + ins a month?

  2. #2

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    11,074
    Thank Post
    1,792
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Rep Power
    773
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSupp View Post
    Sorry but a new phone request again. Daughters phone runs out of contract next week and apparently I am the worst Dad in the world as I have done nothing about it yet! She would 'like' an iPhone 5, mins not an issue, prob get away with 1gig data but prob need plenty txt. Could I get that for what I pay for her current phone which is £20 + ins a month?
    Worst mum in the world lets kids' phones go out of contract and drop onto a lower tariff. If the kids want a new phone, it's a birthday or Christmas present or they pay for it themselves. My eldest lost her iPhone 4 and decided to use her Christmas earnings at Sainsbury's to buy an iPhone 5. My youngest has an iPhone 4 that's just gone out of contract and has decided tha he wanted driving lessons more than an iphone 5.

    It's been that way ever since they had a phone on going to secondary school. I bought the first ever phone and after that, they had to prioritise their presents and spending.

  3. #3

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,176
    Thank Post
    284
    Thanked 773 Times in 583 Posts
    Rep Power
    335
    £26 excluding insurance is the cheapest I've found.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    120
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    13
    Just had a quick look on carphonewharehouse - this is the best deal I could find.

  5. #5

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    11,074
    Thank Post
    1,792
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Rep Power
    773
    Daughter's iPhone 5 was £300 up front and £25 per month from Tesco mobile - 12 month contract

    1Gb data, 5000 texts and more calls than she ever uses
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 29th April 2013 at 09:21 PM.

  6. #6
    TechSupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,883
    Thank Post
    297
    Thanked 120 Times in 101 Posts
    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Worst mum in the world lets kids' phones go out of contract and drop onto a lower tariff. If the kids want a new phone, it's a birthday or Christmas present or they pay for it themselves. My eldest lost her iPhone 4 and decided to use her Christmas earnings at Sainsbury's to buy an iPhone 5. My youngest has an iPhone 4 that's just gone out of contract and has decided tha he wanted driving lessons more than an iphone 5.

    It's been that way ever since they had a phone on going to secondary school. I bought the first ever phone and after that, they had to prioritise their presents and spending.
    Yes did that with the iPod touch, refused to buy it and give her due, she saved up for the two she has had. It's a bit of a keeping up with her friends thing I think with the phone although she is never off her iPod, using the messaging feature (can't you tell I know what I am on about...not!).
    May give T mobile a ring and see what I can get out of them as that's who I am with, got a great deal as a second phone for my wife.

  7. #7
    TechSupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,883
    Thank Post
    297
    Thanked 120 Times in 101 Posts
    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by BTCC_Fan View Post
    Just had a quick look on carphonewharehouse - this is the best deal I could find.
    Hmmm, not what I wanted to see but gives me hope if I contact my provider, see if they will do a deal. We're good when I wanted to change mine but didn't want to pay the shop price.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Rugby
    Posts
    432
    Thank Post
    17
    Thanked 66 Times in 61 Posts
    Rep Power
    35

  9. #9
    TechSupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,883
    Thank Post
    297
    Thanked 120 Times in 101 Posts
    Rep Power
    41
    Not bad but that £230 up front would sting a bit! Swings and roundabouts really, more up front cheaper monthly and vice a versa I suppose. As I pay the bills, her 'like' may end up as a 'not get' and I'll just have to put up with being the worlds worst Dad, ( a title I seem to be bestowed often)

  10. #10
    CAM
    CAM is offline

    CAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Burgh Heath, Surrey
    Posts
    4,116
    Thank Post
    826
    Thanked 358 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries
    60
    Rep Power
    281
    If she is willing to stray from iPhone...(fat chance!)

    ThreeUK, Lumia 620 with unlimited data about £20/mo.

  11. #11

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,278
    Thank Post
    1,376
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    Rep Power
    703
    @CAM - where'd you see that?

  12. #12
    CAM
    CAM is offline

    CAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Burgh Heath, Surrey
    Posts
    4,116
    Thank Post
    826
    Thanked 358 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries
    60
    Rep Power
    281
    Sutton when changing contract, practically bit the sales assistant's hand off! Downside is signal strength is a bit ropey outside of town centres and it's WP8 so less apps.

  13. #13

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,278
    Thank Post
    1,376
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    Rep Power
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Sutton when changing contract, practically bit the sales assistant's hand off! Downside is signal strength is a bit ropey outside of town centres and it's WP8 so less apps.
    Can't find that anywhere

  14. #14
    rich_tech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    1,052
    Thank Post
    129
    Thanked 134 Times in 117 Posts
    Rep Power
    64
    If she isnt set 100% on an iphone, then Tesco are doing the Samsung S4 now for free on a low cost 2 year contract, iirc on what I was reading in bed last night

  15. #15
    psbresner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Swansea
    Posts
    43
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_tech View Post
    If she isnt set 100% on an iphone, then Tesco are doing the Samsung S4 now for free on a low cost 2 year contract, iirc on what I was reading in bed last night
    Is this still the case?

    Thanks

    Paul

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. New phone/contract needed
    By plexer in forum Hardware
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 24th February 2009, 12:05 PM
  2. New phone time
    By timbo343 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30th November 2008, 10:09 PM
  3. Time for new phone
    By dave.81 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 6th February 2008, 11:49 AM
  4. My sons new pcs again.....
    By edie209 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22nd December 2007, 11:19 AM
  5. New Phone Time
    By timbo343 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 14th September 2007, 07:25 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •