+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Campervans in General; We keep mulling over the idea of getting an old VW camper van, possibly a T2 bay window one, so ...
    Thank Post

Campervans

We keep mulling over the idea of getting an old VW camper van, possibly a T2 bay window one, so just wondering if anyone on here has one and there experiences with them, things to look out for etc etc. What they like to drive? May never come to anything, nice to have a dream though. Just looked on ebay and some nice ones.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Campervanning is great fun. Don't buy a VW though - completely overpriced because of the hipsters who buy them. I have a Toyota Granvia - it's a dream to drive.

Thank Post
    I have a VW camper...in short it's amazing (there's pics somewhere on edugeek of her)! But it does cost an absolute fortune to run and maintain. We used to have a static caravan in North Wales, but swapped it for the camper, best decision we made, we get to go all over the country in her, see lots of new places etc you just have to be content pootling along at 30 mph for hours on end :-)

Thank Post
    Heard that the pace of life has to be slower! What kind of things start to cost?

Thank Post
    Better question to ask would be "what doesn't cost"!

We've had her 3 years, and in that time we've spent thousands on welding, new seats for the front, whole new brake system, replacement roof on the pop top, new engine...we're just about to go for our next MOT which will no doubt be more welding. Plus we want the interior replacing to allow us to accommodate our imminent arrival which again will be several thousand pounds!

On the plus side, it's of such an age whereby we don't pay road tax :-)

Thank Post
    Ha, nice one, obviously even though it costs a lot you still think its worth it. At least I would be going in with eyes wide open and wallet by the sounds of it! Still it's only an idea at the moment.

Thank Post
    It most certainly is worth it :-) if you do take the plunge, get yourself to the VW shows, they're a great crowd and they're great weekends :-)

Thank Post
    Would you say a 1.6 is Ok but better to wait and look around for a 2.0?

Thank Post
    Ours is a 1.6, can't say I've ever felt it was underpowered

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,821 Posts
    I was just going to say that my son is a VW fanboi and runs a local VW Audi group ( DAS-VAG) there are many camper vans in the group and whilst they are lovely, they do cost an absolute fortune to keep on the road. A lot of the VW fans have moved to a VW T5 or similar - they keep the camper for shows but do their actual holidaying in the T5

Thank Post
    This will give you an idea of what they cost.

Volkswagen VW Split Screen Camper Van / Bus For Sale | OnlyAircooled.com

If I had the money I'd def buy one.

Thank Post
    I am just about to sell my T4 as we will soon be having baby number 3. I have tried to work out a way of fitting us all in but unfortunately the VW will have to go. She is a 2.4d and very cheap to run and maintain. Insurance is the same as our ford focus and petrol prices not that different from the car. I have had her for 4 years and only needed to replace the fan belt (Touch wood). The T4 do not look as iconic as the original but everyone still flashes and waves at us and they drive like a car and do not need loads of money to keep them on the road.

14. Thanks to edutech4schools from:

ButterflyMoon (30th April 2013)

Thank Post
    If you're going for a camper VW are the only way to go. The waves and smiles from small children and adults alike are worth every penny and every minute of your spare time (that you will undoubtedly spend) on her/him (yes they all should have names!). I have a T25 and i wouldn't trade her for the world, yes bits are expensive but mines 24 years old, what do you expect?! Where are you based in South Yorkshire? If you're sheffield then have a look on Facebook for the Sheffield Volkswagen Owners Club, they're great people and full of knowledge. Also you're actually buying at about the right time, the bottom has fallen out of the VW market in the last few years, a rusty old bay used to go for about 8k now you can pick up some mint vans for about the same price or less. My stepdad just sold his 1972 T2 (that's a bay) to a bloke from South Wales for £6400 (which i told him was too low but there ya go!) You have to think about what you want your van for, if speed and rust isn't an issue then go for a T2, if you want a bit more poke then try a T25 or even a T4. You can get some great looking T4's for the same money or less than you'd pay for a bay and you generally get a lot less hassle as they're obviously a lot newer. I would say the 1.6 is slightly underpowered it's alright when there's nothing in it but as soon as you load up with kids and camping gear you soon add a whole load of weight. Mine's a T25 High Top with a 1.9 Petrol engine and i Max out about 70 but at that point she's really struggling so i cruise at about 55-60(if i'm feeling brave and the wind's not too strong)

Thank Post
    P.s The SVWOC run a festival locally in kilnhurst called DubOdyssey it's in august but well worth checking out to get ideas for what you want your van to look like, and what type of van you'd like. There's a load of different options from the lounge style with just a rock n roll bed and a massive sound system, to the traditional "camping" interior with cookers water sinks the whole job. When parents sold the bay window they bought a T4 which was more practical for them to drive to spain in.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast