+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Campervans in General; p.p.s. if you're going to go and look at campers CHECK EVERYTHING lift up all the carpets, look at all ...
    Thank Post
    p.p.s. if you're going to go and look at campers CHECK EVERYTHING lift up all the carpets, look at all the seams and funny nooks and crannies as they can get Uber rusty and not in the most obvious places. If you know someone who knows VWs take them with you or ask on the SVWOC if anyone would be willing to go and have a look with you. I heard a story very recently where someone's bought a Bay window for 6 grand and then it looks like they're going to have to spend about 9 Grand getting it back to a decent standard, yes they're lovely vans but don't be suckered in to buying a really rusty one just because you've got your heart set on it or you will be paying out for it for forever and a day.

Sorry for 3 messages, as you can tell i'm slightly obsessed!!

Thank Post
    A friend of mine has just bought a brand new T500 that he has just sent away for a conversion to a camper. I look at what he's spent and shudder at what I could get for that ... a really nice motorhome with all the mod cons!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Like Pyroman, I used to own a VW T25. The chassis on these are normally good, it's basically a body bolted onto girders. The seams are the weak spots, though.

Some sound advice - assume the bottom two inches of any van is rotten, and if it's not is a bonus.

Look into every nook, then look into every cranny. Twice. Look on the pipework and tyres for any recent paint spraying. A bit of filler and paint can make a rust bucket look good for a short while.

I owned my camper for about 4 years, then the engine blew up. I changed the engine and tons of parts, cost me about £2,500. I sold it for more than I paid for it, but the guy who bought it had a good buy with all those new parts.

I have a Kangoo mini-van at the mo, and I have actually camped in it by reversing it into an awning. Really.
    Observe:
    http://www.edugeek.net/members/jinna...5-dscf1435.JPG
    http://www.edugeek.net/members/jinna...6-dscf1436.JPG

I'm toying with the idea of a new van, but it won't be a camper. You can get side windows fitted for £150 a side, and I'm going to make a basic kitchen unit with a gas cooker which can be slid in when needed. Maybe a Renault Traffic or Toyata Hiace.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 30th April 2013 at 09:47 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    Like Pyroman, I used to own a VW T25. The chassis on these are normally good, it's basically a body bolted onto girders. The seams are the weak spots, though.

Some sound advice - assume the bottom two inches of any van is rotten, and if it's not is a bonus.

Look into every nook, then look into every cranny. Twice. Look on the pipework and tyres for any recent paint spraying. A bit of filler and paint can make a rust bucket look good for a short while.
    I've had that one recently, the outside of the van looks alright, bit rusty, taken the interior out and it looks like the rear wheel arch needs doing and the side sill on the drivers side all the way down it! Had a quote the other day for £1000 without a spray afterwards. I think i need to see my usual VW man and see what he quotes!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroman View Post
    I've had that one recently, the outside of the van looks alright, bit rusty, taken the interior out and it looks like the rear wheel arch needs doing and the side sill on the drivers side all the way down it! Had a quote the other day for £1000 without a spray afterwards. I think i need to see my usual VW man and see what he quotes!
    Absolutely. Once the van is lined and kitted out, rust can work its magic invisibly until it's too late.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 30th April 2013 at 09:50 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroman View Post
    p.p.s. if you're going to go and look at campers CHECK EVERYTHING lift up all the carpets, look at all the seams and funny nooks and crannies as they can get Uber rusty and not in the most obvious places. If you know someone who knows VWs take them with you or ask on the SVWOC if anyone would be willing to go and have a look with you. I heard a story very recently where someone's bought a Bay window for 6 grand and then it looks like they're going to have to spend about 9 Grand getting it back to a decent standard, yes they're lovely vans but don't be suckered in to buying a really rusty one just because you've got your heart set on it or you will be paying out for it for forever and a day.

Sorry for 3 messages, as you can tell i'm slightly obsessed!!
    This is really good advice, when we bought ours we looked at 5 or 6 before we settled on our "Winnie". We took someone with us who was a general car and VW enthusiast who knew what to look for, so we came away with the right one for us.

rad
    Thank Post
    My father in law is a mechanic. We had a VW Super Viking 2.0Ltr 6Birth camper, started life like this:

After many panel parts replacing, new upholstery new gutters etc etc

The finished result was this:

A complete body refurb, new doors, new front panel, replacement interior, refurbed seats and cushions downstairs (original uptop), same roof and pop top. The original engine was left in it, the 2.ltr Automatic gearbox that we took all the way to Suffolk from Essex, and used a tank of fuel.

Anyway, as FiL didnt want to go from petrol station to petrol station he sold that one and bought what he really wanted and that was an Early bay shell:
    This is how it started its life with us:

as just a shell with wheels as such.

The shell went off to the paint shop to be resprayed

New wheels fitted and then the "conversion" started. First up was the 1.9 Diesel engine from a Golf Mk3

Then the interior was completed with new bed, new or refurbed seats (forget which) and new cupboard unit (no pics though) to this:

Used as a Wedding car for our wedding last year.

If you have any questions I will do my best.

8. Thanks to rad from:

ButterflyMoon (30th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Tremendous job, sir. I approve.

I like the idea of a modern engine in the classic. Did you use a side-mounted radiator?

rad
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    Tremendous job, sir. I approve.

I like the idea of a modern engine in the classic. Did you use a side-mounted radiator?
    Yes, specially made I believe, check out a few more pictures here - Early Bay Photos by RAD-83 | Photobucket

Thank Post
    I had a T25 Devon Eurovette for about 4 years.

Great fun, and we loved it. But it was starting to rust in the seams and every time I took it out I was wondering what would be the next thing to break!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    Yes, specially made I believe, check out a few more pictures here - Early Bay Photos by RAD-83 | Photobucket
    Whoooorrr! Fantastic but I dare not even ask how much that little cost with the engine replacement etc. Now that was a project and a half. Yes its a case of paying enough to get a decent one then allowing more still for ongoing costs etc. Loving this thread, lots of usefull info. Will keep an eye out for the Kilnhurst DubFest, even if we dont ever get one its just nice to window shop and dream!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you have a spare £55,000 this might be of interest.

Watch it to the end, you'll be quite impressed.

Thank Post
    I love the VW Camper - we had one when we were kids and went everywhere in it!
    Unfortunately the Mrs isn't struck on the idea

I am working on convincing her with this one:
    Campervans-lego_camper_van.jpg

Thank Post
    Am in the process of looking for another van. Something smallish but bigger than my current one. Would give my remaining back teeth for a Vdub but the pennies don't stretch that far. That said I love the whole getting away weekends and sleeping comfortably in my van and living in the awning. Great stuff. @rad am seriously jealous. Had 4 Beetles so yes am a VW fangirl

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    I love the VW Camper - we had one when we were kids and went everywhere in it!
    Unfortunately the Mrs isn't struck on the idea

I am working on convincing her with this one:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lego_camper_van.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	172.1 KB 
ID:	18046
    I was bought that as my leaving present from my last job :-)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast