+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Some fails this week! in General; Originally Posted by localzuk From what I can tell, the lack of common sense is a cyclical problem. Some stupid ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    From what I can tell, the lack of common sense is a cyclical problem. Some stupid people do something stupid, so those wanting to protect said stupid people put up signs and mollycoddle them. So in the future, more people stop thinking for themselves and expect everything to be hand fed to them, meaning that it is everyone else's fault when they burn their mouths whilst drinking coffee...

How do you break the cycle?
    I suppose the other side of your argument is what just happened to that building in Pakistan - I quite like having some protection from rogues and scallys - the problem is where to draw the line.

Thank Post
    If you don't know monkey nuts contain nuts, milk contains milk let them enter and win the Darwin awards http://darwinawards.com/

A mate came up with the idea of a test you have to pass before you are allowed to leave school no matter how many exam passes you get. Just a simple common sense test (wonder how many teachers would pass)
    You should also have a common sense shed outside of a court that all cases have to pass through before wasting court time and money.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    Hmmm. While they're re-doing the labelling for the monkey nuts, they might want to add 'Does not contain monkeys' just for completeness. You never know...
    Suitable for vegetarians?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    I suppose the other side of your argument is what just happened to that building in Pakistan - I quite like having some protection from rogues and scallys - the problem is where to draw the line.
    That's not really down to common sense though. Building safety isn't really simple to deal with and requires complex design constraints etc... Whereas knowing that coffee from a shop will be given to you in a hot state is.

Thank Post
    During a science lesson at my wifes school the kids were horrified to find out that steak & kidney pie contained 'real' kidneys.....

Years ago my young nieces were amazed when their grandfather showed them peas growing in a pod.....

Too many people don't know where their food comes from.

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    That's not really down to common sense though. Building safety isn't really simple to deal with and requires complex design constraints etc... Whereas knowing that coffee from a shop will be given to you in a hot state is.
    Oh, the old "coffee is hot" chestnut. Might be worth reading this. There's hot, which we all expect our hot drinks to be, and there's "causes 3rd degree burns within just a couple of seconds".

Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    During a science lesson at my wifes school the kids were horrified to find out that steak & kidney pie contained 'real' kidneys.....

Years ago my young nieces were amazed when their grandfather showed them peas growing in a pod.....

Too many people don't know where their food comes from.
    I've always thought that people should have more of an appreciation of how the food arrives at the supermarket. I had high hopes, once, that all these food "scandals" might encourage people to do that but now I realise that I could shout myself hoarse about this but some people don't want to know.
    Last edited by Roberto; 29th April 2013 at 08:47 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    Oh, the old "coffee is hot" chestnut. Might be worth reading this. There's hot, which we all expect our hot drinks to be, and there's "causes 3rd degree burns within just a couple of seconds".
    In order to produce coffee that tastes its best, you need to use hot water. Not 'warm' but hot. 93-96 degrees in fact. If you go to 100 degrees, you release more bitterness so you don't want it actually boiling.

So, the fact still stands - people are complaining that they get burnt when their coffee is hot.

I've always thought that people should have more of an appreciation of how the food arrives at the supermarket. I had high hopes, once, that all these food "scandals" might encourage people to do that but now I realise that I could shout myself hoarse about this but some people don't want to know.
    Ignorance is bliss. I used to do animal rights info stalls - just giving out leaflets showing people where their foods come from, and providing samples of vegan food for them to try. Nothing militant there. People got so very angry about being shown where their food comes from it was unbelievable.

I remember one protest outside a McDonald's that I helped at, people threw things at us and one guy in a mobility scooter tried to run one of us over... All because we were highlighting where their Chicken McNuggets came from.
    Last edited by localzuk; 29th April 2013 at 09:12 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,770 Times in 1,192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ignorance is bliss. I used to do animal rights info stalls - just giving out leaflets showing people where their foods come from, and providing samples of vegan food for them to try. Nothing militant there. People got so very angry about being shown where their food comes from it was unbelievable.

I remember one protest outside a McDonald's that I helped at, people threw things at us and one guy in a mobility scooter tried to run one of us over... All because we were highlighting where their Chicken McNuggets came from.
    I've never really understood this kind of reaction. When I decided to be vegetarian I was grilled by family and friends but they didn't really want to hear the reasons why.
    Worse still was when my wife told people she was becoming a vegan (no lectures or anything, just to inform people so they didn't offer her things like milk in her tea) it was met with outright hostility. Its nuts.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,757 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    I've never really understood this kind of reaction. When I decided to be vegetarian I was grilled by family and friends but they didn't really want to hear the reasons why.
    Worse still was when my wife told people she was becoming a vegan (no lectures or anything, just to inform people so they didn't offer her things like milk in her tea) it was met with outright hostility. Its nuts.
    Well, I suppose it is because it is going against the mainstream, and given the way we chew and digest food (canine teeth and no multiple stomachs or cellulose digestion), you could say that humans are made to be carnivores. So people find it odd. They don't like anything different.
    I did see something on fml - someone got upset with a girl who kept chickens and killed them for the pot - she was told that she should get her meat from the supermarket instead!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Well, I suppose it is because it is going against the mainstream, and given the way we chew and digest food (canine teeth and no multiple stomachs or cellulose digestion), you could say that humans are made to be carnivores. So people find it odd. They don't like anything different.
    I did see something on fml - someone got upset with a girl who kept chickens and killed them for the pot - she was told that she should get her meat from the supermarket instead!
    It's only through technology (cooking) that humans can safely digest meat. Our digestive tracts are much longer than that of a true carnivore. The meat would putrefy and make us ill. Neither are we true vegetarians; we're not ruminants and have to cook vegetables to break down the cellulose.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 29th April 2013 at 09:27 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,466 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Humans are a naturally evolved omnivore. We can digest raw meat (raw beef, lamb, pork), however when it comes to poultry it is a different ball game. As for vegetables, we get more nutrients from the raw variety of the foods, however we cook food to make it more warming and less strain on the body to process.

If food is cooked, it requires less digestive enzymes, and less calories to process the food.

My family find it odd that I like my pork, steak, lamb etc, flash fried for 15 seconds on each side, and my veg blanched. I personally prefer cold food to hot, but thats just me.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    See, even that argument is wrong. Gorillas have a very similar tooth layout to us, but they are herbivores. The canine teeth are used as a show of strength, and also used for eating tough plants. The fact we have a specific set of teeth is here nor there - we have the ability to eat a vegan diet and be healthy. We have that ability to choose to not go round eating animals.

That's what happens when we build up the idea of intelligence and morality.

Highlighting that we can survive on a vegan diet and do so happily should not enrage people. It is unjustifiable to get angry about it - the only reason I can think of is simple guilt.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,770 Times in 1,192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    you could say that humans are made to be carnivores.
    You certainly couldn't say that, carnivores eat exclusively meat. Humans are omnivores
    So people find it odd. They don't like anything different.
    I think its more that people don't like being made to think about where their food comes. If people were made to go a slaughterhouse there would be more vegetarians. If they went to a dairy farm then there would be more vegans.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 998 Posts
    Whereas knowing that coffee from a shop will be given to you in a hot state is.
    Assume you mean the likes of starbucks / costas etc versus a shop that just sells coffee granules as apposed to selling hot ready to drink

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    I think its more that people don't like being made to think about where their food comes. If people were made to go a slaughterhouse there would be more vegetarians. If they went to a dairy farm then there would be more vegans.
    In my opinion its more of its not taught where it comes from. I know one person who didnt know crisps were potatos!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast