+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 72
General Chat Thread, Some fails this week! in General; Originally Posted by localzuk From what I can tell, the lack of common sense is a cyclical problem. Some stupid ...
  1. #16

    SpuffMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,258
    Thank Post
    55
    Thanked 283 Times in 189 Posts
    Rep Power
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    From what I can tell, the lack of common sense is a cyclical problem. Some stupid people do something stupid, so those wanting to protect said stupid people put up signs and mollycoddle them. So in the future, more people stop thinking for themselves and expect everything to be hand fed to them, meaning that it is everyone else's fault when they burn their mouths whilst drinking coffee...

    How do you break the cycle?
    I suppose the other side of your argument is what just happened to that building in Pakistan - I quite like having some protection from rogues and scallys - the problem is where to draw the line.

  2. #17
    ozydave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    261
    Thank Post
    84
    Thanked 34 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    If you don't know monkey nuts contain nuts, milk contains milk let them enter and win the Darwin awards http://darwinawards.com/

    A mate came up with the idea of a test you have to pass before you are allowed to leave school no matter how many exam passes you get. Just a simple common sense test (wonder how many teachers would pass)
    You should also have a common sense shed outside of a court that all cases have to pass through before wasting court time and money.

  3. #18
    CAM
    CAM is offline

    CAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Burgh Heath, Surrey
    Posts
    4,294
    Thank Post
    869
    Thanked 404 Times in 306 Posts
    Blog Entries
    60
    Rep Power
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    Hmmm. While they're re-doing the labelling for the monkey nuts, they might want to add 'Does not contain monkeys' just for completeness. You never know...
    Suitable for vegetarians?

  4. #19

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,157
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    I suppose the other side of your argument is what just happened to that building in Pakistan - I quite like having some protection from rogues and scallys - the problem is where to draw the line.
    That's not really down to common sense though. Building safety isn't really simple to deal with and requires complex design constraints etc... Whereas knowing that coffee from a shop will be given to you in a hot state is.

  5. #20

    broc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,046
    Thank Post
    104
    Thanked 401 Times in 265 Posts
    Rep Power
    150
    During a science lesson at my wifes school the kids were horrified to find out that steak & kidney pie contained 'real' kidneys.....

    Years ago my young nieces were amazed when their grandfather showed them peas growing in a pod.....

    Too many people don't know where their food comes from.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Posts
    1,081
    Thank Post
    260
    Thanked 213 Times in 164 Posts
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    That's not really down to common sense though. Building safety isn't really simple to deal with and requires complex design constraints etc... Whereas knowing that coffee from a shop will be given to you in a hot state is.
    Oh, the old "coffee is hot" chestnut. Might be worth reading this. There's hot, which we all expect our hot drinks to be, and there's "causes 3rd degree burns within just a couple of seconds".

    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    During a science lesson at my wifes school the kids were horrified to find out that steak & kidney pie contained 'real' kidneys.....

    Years ago my young nieces were amazed when their grandfather showed them peas growing in a pod.....

    Too many people don't know where their food comes from.
    I've always thought that people should have more of an appreciation of how the food arrives at the supermarket. I had high hopes, once, that all these food "scandals" might encourage people to do that but now I realise that I could shout myself hoarse about this but some people don't want to know.
    Last edited by Roberto; 29th April 2013 at 08:47 AM.

  7. #22

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,157
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    Oh, the old "coffee is hot" chestnut. Might be worth reading this. There's hot, which we all expect our hot drinks to be, and there's "causes 3rd degree burns within just a couple of seconds".
    In order to produce coffee that tastes its best, you need to use hot water. Not 'warm' but hot. 93-96 degrees in fact. If you go to 100 degrees, you release more bitterness so you don't want it actually boiling.

    So, the fact still stands - people are complaining that they get burnt when their coffee is hot.

    I've always thought that people should have more of an appreciation of how the food arrives at the supermarket. I had high hopes, once, that all these food "scandals" might encourage people to do that but now I realise that I could shout myself hoarse about this but some people don't want to know.
    Ignorance is bliss. I used to do animal rights info stalls - just giving out leaflets showing people where their foods come from, and providing samples of vegan food for them to try. Nothing militant there. People got so very angry about being shown where their food comes from it was unbelievable.

    I remember one protest outside a McDonald's that I helped at, people threw things at us and one guy in a mobility scooter tried to run one of us over... All because we were highlighting where their Chicken McNuggets came from.
    Last edited by localzuk; 29th April 2013 at 09:12 AM.

  8. #23

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,017
    Thank Post
    1,362
    Thanked 1,770 Times in 1,192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    530
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Ignorance is bliss. I used to do animal rights info stalls - just giving out leaflets showing people where their foods come from, and providing samples of vegan food for them to try. Nothing militant there. People got so very angry about being shown where their food comes from it was unbelievable.

    I remember one protest outside a McDonald's that I helped at, people threw things at us and one guy in a mobility scooter tried to run one of us over... All because we were highlighting where their Chicken McNuggets came from.
    I've never really understood this kind of reaction. When I decided to be vegetarian I was grilled by family and friends but they didn't really want to hear the reasons why.
    Worse still was when my wife told people she was becoming a vegan (no lectures or anything, just to inform people so they didn't offer her things like milk in her tea) it was met with outright hostility. Its nuts.

  9. #24

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,234
    Thank Post
    1,457
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,757 Posts
    Rep Power
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    I've never really understood this kind of reaction. When I decided to be vegetarian I was grilled by family and friends but they didn't really want to hear the reasons why.
    Worse still was when my wife told people she was becoming a vegan (no lectures or anything, just to inform people so they didn't offer her things like milk in her tea) it was met with outright hostility. Its nuts.
    Well, I suppose it is because it is going against the mainstream, and given the way we chew and digest food (canine teeth and no multiple stomachs or cellulose digestion), you could say that humans are made to be carnivores. So people find it odd. They don't like anything different.
    I did see something on fml - someone got upset with a girl who kept chickens and killed them for the pot - she was told that she should get her meat from the supermarket instead!

  10. #25

    jinnantonnixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In the Calamatorium.
    Posts
    2,028
    Thank Post
    119
    Thanked 513 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Well, I suppose it is because it is going against the mainstream, and given the way we chew and digest food (canine teeth and no multiple stomachs or cellulose digestion), you could say that humans are made to be carnivores. So people find it odd. They don't like anything different.
    I did see something on fml - someone got upset with a girl who kept chickens and killed them for the pot - she was told that she should get her meat from the supermarket instead!
    It's only through technology (cooking) that humans can safely digest meat. Our digestive tracts are much longer than that of a true carnivore. The meat would putrefy and make us ill. Neither are we true vegetarians; we're not ruminants and have to cook vegetables to break down the cellulose.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 29th April 2013 at 09:27 AM.

  11. #26

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    12,271
    Thank Post
    1,670
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,466 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    451
    Humans are a naturally evolved omnivore. We can digest raw meat (raw beef, lamb, pork), however when it comes to poultry it is a different ball game. As for vegetables, we get more nutrients from the raw variety of the foods, however we cook food to make it more warming and less strain on the body to process.

    If food is cooked, it requires less digestive enzymes, and less calories to process the food.

    My family find it odd that I like my pork, steak, lamb etc, flash fried for 15 seconds on each side, and my veg blanched. I personally prefer cold food to hot, but thats just me.

  12. #27

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,157
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Well, I suppose it is because it is going against the mainstream, and given the way we chew and digest food (canine teeth and no multiple stomachs or cellulose digestion), you could say that humans are made to be carnivores. So people find it odd. They don't like anything different.
    I did see something on fml - someone got upset with a girl who kept chickens and killed them for the pot - she was told that she should get her meat from the supermarket instead!
    See, even that argument is wrong. Gorillas have a very similar tooth layout to us, but they are herbivores. The canine teeth are used as a show of strength, and also used for eating tough plants. The fact we have a specific set of teeth is here nor there - we have the ability to eat a vegan diet and be healthy. We have that ability to choose to not go round eating animals.

    That's what happens when we build up the idea of intelligence and morality.

    Highlighting that we can survive on a vegan diet and do so happily should not enrage people. It is unjustifiable to get angry about it - the only reason I can think of is simple guilt.

  13. #28

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,017
    Thank Post
    1,362
    Thanked 1,770 Times in 1,192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    530
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    you could say that humans are made to be carnivores.
    You certainly couldn't say that, carnivores eat exclusively meat. Humans are omnivores
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    So people find it odd. They don't like anything different.
    I think its more that people don't like being made to think about where their food comes. If people were made to go a slaughterhouse there would be more vegetarians. If they went to a dairy farm then there would be more vegans.

  14. #29

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,901
    Thank Post
    3,429
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 998 Posts
    Rep Power
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Whereas knowing that coffee from a shop will be given to you in a hot state is.
    Assume you mean the likes of starbucks / costas etc versus a shop that just sells coffee granules as apposed to selling hot ready to drink

  15. #30
    hardtailstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,963
    Thank Post
    597
    Thanked 281 Times in 240 Posts
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    I think its more that people don't like being made to think about where their food comes. If people were made to go a slaughterhouse there would be more vegetarians. If they went to a dairy farm then there would be more vegans.
    In my opinion its more of its not taught where it comes from. I know one person who didnt know crisps were potatos!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Video] Some of my colleagues had "Equality and Diversity" training this week...
    By mattx in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10th September 2010, 11:01 PM
  2. This weeks deals
    By Elky in forum Our Advertisers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16th October 2007, 10:30 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 8th March 2007, 01:40 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21st February 2007, 09:43 AM
  5. This week I will be mainly playing with ...
    By GrumbleDook in forum Mac
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 13th October 2006, 07:04 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •