+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, speed limits and penalties in General; Please see here for national speed limits. The places that the speed limits differ are where there are hazards or ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: speed limits and penalties

Please see here for national speed limits.

The places that the speed limits differ are where there are hazards or it is a known route that has a lot of incidents (accidents, traffic jams, etc)

A 40 limit on a section of dual carriageway is often because there are junctions on it that are classed as 'short approach', namely there is not enough space for vehicles to accelerate to a safe speed before joining the major road.

When roads are built and classified they are assigned the relevant national speed limit and it is moved down when they are assessed for hazards.

This is not done lightly by any planning authority ... mainly because the planners also drive big, fast cars and they want to get from A to B in 3 1/2 seconds (ok ... a bit silly, but you get the picture!)

Speed limits are not always there to prevent accidents but to limit the damage that occurs when there is a collision, whether it is between car, lorry, bike, bicycle, pedestrian, horse or any combination of these.

Thank Post

dudes.

lets some up this wee thread

drive to the correct speed limit and save speeding for the race track. this whole 10% thing is a nath guide line. its easy you are driving in a 30mph zone. drive to 30mph on your cars spedo, bollocks to this oooow the sat nav says diffrent. speed restrictions are set for a bloody good reason. end of!! (runs and hides a corner)

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bishopsgarthstockton
    dudes.

drive to the correct speed limit and save speeding for the race track. this whole 10% thing is a nath guide line. its easy you are driving in a 30mph zone. drive to 30mph on your cars spedo, bollocks to this oooow the sat nav says diffrent. speed restrictions are set for a bloody good reason. end of!! (runs and hides a corner)
    I agree (also runs and hides in a corner) :-)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy
    Quote Originally Posted by bishopsgarthstockton
    dudes.

I agree (also runs and hides in a corner) :-)
    What if I'm using my GPS as my speedo?

Thank Post

GPS is a very innacurate method of measuring speed anyway as it only takes a reading every metre or so, unless you are driving amazingly steady it's guestimating all the time.

As for speed limits, I'd say about 80% of the time my speedo is higher than the posted limit, but if I'm in a residential area I'll be under it a fair bit, going past a school? Then I'll be going slow and annoying pretty much everybody.

The trouble with most drivers is they can't judge the situation. I don't see any safety issue with me driving home and 120mph when there's only me on the motorway, if I have a blowout and die then my fault. If however it's 5pm and there's cars all over the place I'll be going the same speed as everyone else wether it be 60 or 80mph, doing that is a lot safer than the muppets who drive spot on 70 but never move out of the middle lane - forcing everyone into the fast lane and to bunch up very close.

As for faster cars, I've been driving nearly 10 years, I've only just managed to be able to afford a quick car. Even though this is the fastest car I've ever had I believe driving it is safer than some of my earlier ones. They had no ABS, struggled round corners and at motorway speeds but because I was still within the limits it seemed fine. Now my new car copes easily with all the things I did before.

What make me laugh is that the motorway speed is the same now as it was 30 years ago, but I really would be scared going 70 in a 1970s car, whereas I can hit a ton now and not even realise.

Time and place.

Should be 20mph past schools with strict cameras by all of them.
    Adjustable on the motorway like the M25 depending on traffic and raise to 100 at night or low usage times.

If you think speeding is the most dangerous thing a car can do, come to Bradford and see the state of the driving here, most people drive at 30 but that's the only road law they seem to take any notice of, and that is more dangerous than 35.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

This illustrates the point nicely I think:

http://www.zippyvideos.com/819773162...0mph/*webmimic

Thank Post

Blocked here. To be honest I think any numpty could tell you the difference between hitting something at 50 over 30 is gonn be nearly twice as devastating.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

We should have motorways with unlimited speeds to a point, perhaps make better use of ANPR and allow all newer cars to run at say 110 in L3 upwards if they are newer and meet various standards, anything less than say 7 years old must stick to the 70. Or just sod the lot and give us unlimted Motorways and Dual Carriagways. All I say is i wish they would up the speed on some A roads.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries

If we had the sort of drivers in this country that tool adequate safeguards to look after their car (weekly oil, trye, fluid checks to say the least) then that would be one thing ... but most drivers over here srive too close ... especially at speed on the motorways.

Upping the speed limit will just make things worse.

Then again, I am in favour of everyone resitting their test (written and practical) every five years.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by john
    allow all newer cars to run at say 110 in L3 upwards if they are newer and meet various standards, anything less than say 7 years old must stick to the 70.
    That would be carnage. Imagine one of your older cars comes up behind a lorry in L2 so pulls out into L3 at 60, then 65 and finally (after a little while as it is low powered) reaches 70. While it is doing this, you are thumping up behind it at 110, so some 50mph faster than it. Are your reactions - and those of the drivers behind you who couldn't see the slower car pull out - quick enough to avoid smacking in to the back of it?

In response to the earlier comments of "but a strict 30 enforcement means I have to watch the speedometer all the time", all I can say is try driving at 27 instead - you will get to your destination in basically the same time, won't have to watch your speedo, won't get caught speeding, won't get fined and won't kill anyone. Simple, no?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by NickJones
    In response to the earlier comments of "but a strict 30 enforcement means I have to watch the speedometer all the time", all I can say is try driving at 27 instead - you will get to your destination in basically the same time, won't have to watch your speedo, won't get caught speeding, won't get fined and won't kill anyone. Simple, no?
    Except I'd have the car behind me right up my arse and all the ones behind that bunched up which is dangerous in itself.

You're saying drive like a learner, but I'm sure you know as well as I do it can be quite awful seeing how people drive behind those.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful
    You're saying drive like a learner
    No, I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that driving at 28 while watching the road won't kill you, but driving at 30 while watching your speedo just might.

Where are you going in such a rush that those 2mph through town make all the difference, anyway? And surely if it is somewhere SO important, it is better to get there a minute later and alive than not get there at all.

I really don't think that cars will "bunch up" all that far behind you just because you're doing 28, and if the person behind you gets irate and starts beeping the horn, then by all means speed up to 30 or 35 (i.e. 30 + 10% + 2), start watching your speedo and then explain yourself to the dead kid's parents.

Thank Post

Fair enough I will.

But you know aswell as I do that until an accident happens, more people complain about 'learners', 'sunday drivers' and 'old grannies' than people who are the odd mph over the limit.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful
    Blocked here. To be honest I think any numpty could tell you the difference between hitting something at 50 over 30 is gonn be nearly twice as devastating.
    Was a joke & not serious

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by jwood
    Regarding people driving up your ar$e. Is it safer to be doing 35mph with someone 5 metres behind (giving about 1/3 a second stopping distance) or 25mph with someone 5 metres behind (about 1/2 a second stopping distance)?

You need to take responsibility for your own speed instead of looking to blame other road users for your lack of skill, common sense and self control.
    5 metres? Where do you live? Trust me if you drive round Bradford it makes Spain and Italy look like...something that's calm and safe.

I'm not saying speed, I've already stated that I adjust my driving to the conditions, road, time and all the otehr things.

I have never caused an accident. I have however being hit 4 times by people pulling out of side roads onto the main road I was driving on. Actually thinking about it if I'd been going faster they'd have missed me

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast