+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Introducing Disk Quotas to Staff in General; Hi Guys, I wonder if any of you can help me. I'm looking to implement disk quotas at my school, ...

Thank Post

Introducing Disk Quotas to Staff

Hi Guys,

I wonder if any of you can help me. I'm looking to implement disk quotas at my school, but I know it will be met with some resistance from some members of staff. When you carried this out on your network, how did you communicate this with the users? Do you have an 'introduction to disk quotas' type document that I can amend to show how users will be effected by the change and the reasons behind it?

Many thanks,

Thank Post
    As with all good projects there must first be a reason why you want to change, at my last place we had very flexible limits for students (up to 32GB) and potentially unlimited for the staff (well as much as the offline files cache on their notebook would take) simply because we had the capacity to backup that kind of data.

Having a reason makes justifying the change to the staff a whole lot easier

Thank Post
    you could also start phasing it in for new staff, so all new staff get a limit

Thank Post
    Hi James,

Thanks for your comments. I am fully aware of the benefits to it, but it's just how to go about communicating it. I implemented it at my last school, and it was excellent.

Some of my users have over 50gb in their folder, and despite several requests (even from the HT!) they only manage to trim a few hundred mb off! I want to force the issue, but a simple document that can be shared and reused will hopefully inform them of the benefits at user level.

Many thanks,
    Last edited by Gardinho; 23rd April 2013 at 10:15 AM.

Thank Post
    We give students 512 by default, if they need more they just ask. Teachers and Staff get 6GB

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dgardner View Post
    Some of my users have over 50gb in their folder, and despite several requests (even from the HT!) they only manage to trim a few hundred mb! I want to force the issue, but a simple document that can be shared and reused will hopefully inform them of the benefits at user level.
    You should do what I do... Just force it.

We had issues with users having a lot of files in their documents that weren't needed [many years old and untouched], were also in a common shared drive or that were simply huge files.

When the limit came in, it was less than the space they had actually used, so they were unable to save anything unless they deleted/moved a lot of stuff.

I also gave the option of creating backups of old, but still relevent, work to a disk if it was really needed [Which wasn't my decision, if the HT/DHT says it's needed, then it's needed] and resizing photos to a more reasonable size. [Plus compressing images in word documents... People need to learn how to do that.]

7. Thanks to X-13 from:

Gardinho (23rd April 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    flexible limits for students (up to 32GB)
    Holy shingles.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,604 Posts
    As with all 'controversial' issues, such as Print Management quotas, I get this sort thing introduced by the HT at a staff meeting as a fait accompli.

"It's happening. I'm in charge. Tough!"

Without the full suport of your HT/SLT this will be unsuccessful.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    As with all 'controversial' issues, such as Print Management quotas, I get this sort thing introduced by the HT at a staff meeting as a fait accompli.

"It's happening. I'm in charge. Tough!"
    Thanks... I'm now getting visions of a HT in a staff meeting announcing this, when someone behind them with a fishing rod lowers a pair of sunglasses in the style of the "deal with it" meme.

Thank Post
    I do have full support from SLT, but as with all of these type of changes, there are a percentage of people who think we are doing this to be awkward. Staff here often fail to look at the big picture, which is why I wanted to share some information with them to show them of the impacts it has.

I can quickly produce something, just being lazy! I'll just bring it in from September and give them a full half term to cipher through their data.

Thank Post
    Price up the cost of increasing the storage of your servers/backup solution and put that forward to SLT with a note saying "or we could introduce quota's..." you will soon get their backing.

We had issue's with staff saving camcorder footage on their user area's the compression was horrible so we tend to convert it to a more suitable file size, and encourage them to put shared resources onto the shared drive to stop duplication.

Do find it can be a double edged sword though, if you give them a strict quota they will start saving everything to removable media without a backup, and its you they come to when it gets put in the washing machine (the day before it is urgently required).

13. Thanks to LiamH from:

Gardinho (23rd April 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamH View Post
    encourage them to put shared resources onto the shared drive to stop duplication.
    Slightly off-topic, but did you have teachers responding to that with "I made it, why should I share it?"

I've had that with a few staff, where each class in a year group have similar resources for certain subjects, but they refuse to pool their resources to ensure they're using the best stuff available.

I.E: User A has the clearest/most relevant images, but User B has the more cohesive/easy to read layout.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Slightly off-topic, but did you have teachers responding to that with "I made it, why should I share it?"

I've had that with a few staff, where each class in a year group have similar resources for certain subjects, but they refuse to pool their resources to ensure they're using the best stuff available.

I.E: User A has the clearest/most relevant images, but User B has the more cohesive/easy to read layout.
    not really encountered that, most of the "lesson plans" tend to be bought in or passed from teacher to teacher.

In-fact we often get asked to copy whole chunks of shared resources onto memory sticks just before staff leave, normally we decline due to the mess of copy write issues. Even NQT's here on placement want to do it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Dump it on the shares anyway

We introduced quotas stealthily - found the users with the most space used, did a duplicate file check on their areas to get them down a bit, then stuck the quota just above that. That gave us 6GB for staff which appears to be plenty (and gives us enough provision) - there is sufficient storage for shared resources, videos etc elsewhere.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Dump it on the shares anyway
    I don't move people's files.

It's up to the user to ensure they have space available and that files are stored in the correct location.

Although, I have a SMT-backed policy of kill-on-sight if I find SparkleBox stuff. [If I get told a user has no space, I pop in to their files and make a few suggestions of what to delete/move.]

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast