+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Introducing Disk Quotas to Staff in General; Set the quota at something unreasonably low (3GB for example). Ask for all resources for a department to go onto ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Set the quota at something unreasonably low (3GB for example). Ask for all resources for a department to go onto that departments shared drive, and personal documents (eg student reports for teachers class, or individual lesson plans etc) can be kept on their share. Videos and music, unless they are properly licenced, they can go.

Soon as I mention staff being liable for the fine that can be levied, you would be surprised how fast they removed the music and videos from their machines and shares! This on my old school cleared up close to 60GB over night!

2. Thanks to nephilim from:

Gardinho (23rd April 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Set the quota at something unreasonably low (3GB for example).
    If 3GB is "unreasonably low", what is 100mb?

Have I become BOFH? [Seriously, our quota is 100mb. And only a few people have more than that due to the type/amount of fles they have.]

4. Thanks to X-13 from:

nephilim (23rd April 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Only reason I say 3GB is unreasonably low, is because most staff at that establishment had 3GB or more of music and videos. Once everything was cleared off, I lowered it further, but increased the share sizes.

Thank Post
    I would love to enforce a disk quota for staff. We have a 750Mb basic quota for students, which for most is ample. Others are being given more, and I suspect we will soon raise the baseline to 1Gb. But with 1250 students we're eating up around 1.2Tb. Staff, on the other hand, are almost at 3Tb!! There is a huge number of old files, tens of thousands of 'personal' image files and video files, and the clutter is ridiculous in shared areas. But IMO, this is not a decision for the NM to take. For years now I have been banging my head against a brick wall over this, constantly reminding SLT that we're using up more and more storage space, that this is reflected not only in the size of SAN required but also makes a big hit on backups - to no avail. There is no way I can force this issue, and I wouldn't wish to do so. For me, it has to come from the top.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Only reason I say 3GB is unreasonably low, is because most staff at that establishment had 3GB or more of music and videos. Once everything was cleared off, I lowered it further, but increased the share sizes.
    TBF, the quota is more flexible than I admit to staff.

Also, all this talk of quotas reminded me to have a look at out staff drive.

Lots of 4000x3000 images and word/powerpoint documents running at many thousands of KB due to uncompressed pictures...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Gibson...simple answer, force fail a backup due to volume of files.

Advise there are too many pictures/videos/music etc of a personal nature which have no issue being there, and if they signed an AUP, check to see if it breaks the terms, if no AUP is in place, make one.

Thank Post
    Gibson...simple answer, force fail a backup due to volume of files.

Advise there are too many pictures/videos/music etc of a personal nature which have no issue being there, and if they signed an AUP, check to see if it breaks the terms, if no AUP is in place, make one.
    If only life were really that simple. An AUP is in place, it expressly forbids them to store personal files on the network, yet when I remind SLT that this is not only still going on but increasing, I pretty much just get shrugs of resignation. Previously, when I have, perhaps, slightly exaggerated the issue, I've just been told to provide more disk space and whatever is needed to ensure backups...better that than confront staff it would seem!

650+Gb gobbled up since October!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    In that instance, if the AUP is there and it is being broken, send an email to all staff informing them of the breaches, and you will take steps to remove said files from the network, with no chance of them being backed up. Inform the HT of this first though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,092 Times in 1,472 Posts
    In that instance, if the AUP is there and it is being broken, send an email to all staff informing them of the breaches, and you will take steps to remove said files from the network, with no chance of them being backed up. Inform the HT of this first though.
    But he can't if he has already informed SLT and they have made it clear that they are OK with it

Thank Post
    Again, if only life were that easy.

I do not have the authority to unilaterally remove files, and I have been given no such authority by my SLT. I send out reminders and warnings by the dozen, but they are ignored because they know nothing will really be done about it.

If you have such powers or are supported that well by SLT then more power to your elbow - sadly, our teaching staff are pretty much untouchable. This is the same, by the way, when it comes to potentially (probably) illegal music files!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibson335 View Post
    Again, if only life were that easy.

I do not have the authority to unilaterally remove files, and I have been given no such authority by my SLT. I send out reminders and warnings by the dozen, but they are ignored because they know nothing will really be done about it.

If you have such powers or are supported that well by SLT then more power to your elbow - sadly, our teaching staff are pretty much untouchable. This is the same, by the way, when it comes to potentially (probably) illegal music files!!
    ...How technical are your teachers/SMT?

You could drop a lot of FUD in your explaination, or just script it and blame an auto-update on the server. [Make sure you say you can't remove it before they ask.]

Disclaimer: The previous statement was intended in jest. Any loss of job security encountered due to following it is not my problem. [Seriously, don't actually do this unless you don't care about being fired.]

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    ...How technical are your teachers/SMT?

You could drop a lot of FUD in your explaination, or just script it and blame an auto-update on the server. [Make sure you say you can't remove it before they ask.]

Disclaimer: The previous statement was intended in jest. Any loss of job security encountered due to following it is not my problem. [Seriously, don't actually do this unless you don't care about being fired.]
    Believe me, I'd like to ;-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibson335 View Post
    Believe me, I'd like to ;-)
    You also have the ability to obfuscate your true intent by using a lot of tech-speak, not that I would suggest it. Or playing to the finance side of things by pricing up what more storage is actually going to cost. [If you need new kit.]

Providing you have permission in writing [or email] then there should be no/little fallout.

Much as I thought staff would hate the quotas set up here, which they did, they actually got over it pretty fast... Too fast, now that I think about it.

Le EDIT: The more I post here, the more BOFH I seem to be...
    Last edited by X-13; 23rd April 2013 at 12:57 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We introduced one here with no consultation. HOWEVER, the year before they had been constrained by a 250Gb volume for everything, so when they got 2TB some went a bit wild, while others just got on and discovered they could now actually work.

Once a few people had crossed the 25Gb mark, I took a look. Most were careless with copies of copies of copies of folders. Some were justifiable (music and videos and photos). We set an alarm at 25GB and respond based on our best judgement. Nobody complains. Apart from the person who has a 100Gb limit who manages to need a new laptop every couple of months - dear god, one day we'll remember to plug it in to the switched network before syncing her files.

Thank Post
    @dgardner I know what this can be like. Luckily we have always had limits on staff and students home folders but the biggest one we had to deal with recently was email mailboxes. A few years ago staff had unlimited size email accounts with some users having over 10GB of emails and refusing to archive or delete old emails. We have 250 staff accounts let alone the students so the way we sold it to the management here was the time it would take to do a full restore in a disaster recovery instance. We have moved on a bit now and have a SAN etc so backup's and restores are faster anyway but there is no way we could give space's allocations like some of the people have mentioned in the thread. Staff get 300MB in their home drive, 300MB mailbox, 1GB archive mailbox and unlimited(ish) access in staff shared folders. All I can say is thanks goodness for Server 2012 deduplication.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12