+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
General Chat Thread, Person of Interest - The Machine caught the boston bombers in General; So i was watching Person of Interest last night, and at the same time reading this article BBC News - ...
  1. #1

    RabbieBurns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,512
    Thank Post
    1,320
    Thanked 469 Times in 306 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    199

    Person of Interest - The Machine caught the boston bombers

    So i was watching Person of Interest last night, and at the same time reading this article BBC News - Boston Marathon bombings: How notorious bombers got caught and I couldnt help but draw comparisons.

    The fact they 'crowdsourced' everyones photos and videos and cctv to catch them, is only one step away from the 'fiction' of a computer program that does all that in real time!

  2. #2

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,044
    Thank Post
    853
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    767
    The main fiction being that the government is acting in the best interests of it's citizens rather than itself. PoI is a great show though.

  3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

    Pyroman (23rd April 2013)

  4. #3
    Gibson335's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    929
    Thank Post
    257
    Thanked 133 Times in 106 Posts
    Rep Power
    79
    Love the show, and whilst it's a stretch, it's not so outlandish.

  5. #4
    Pyroman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,200
    Thank Post
    433
    Thanked 140 Times in 105 Posts
    Rep Power
    72
    I smell another conspiracy here, another incident where a "training exercise" was happening at exactly the same time and place, the constant U-turns about people being arrested then not being arrested, a saudi suspect to person of interest to a saudi who?? It's very fishy

  6. #5

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,730
    Thank Post
    1,272
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroman View Post
    I smell another conspiracy here, another incident where a "training exercise" was happening at exactly the same time and place, the constant U-turns about people being arrested then not being arrested, a saudi suspect to person of interest to a saudi who?? It's very fishy
    Well, if you are interested in conspiracy theories, here's what they are saying: Boston Bombings Conspiracy Theories: Top 10 Facts You Need to Know | HEAVY

  7. #6
    Pyroman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,200
    Thank Post
    433
    Thanked 140 Times in 105 Posts
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Well, if you are interested in conspiracy theories, here's what they are saying: Boston Bombings Conspiracy Theories: Top 10 Facts You Need to Know | HEAVY
    Blocked at work, i'll have a look when i get in

  8. #7

    synaesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    5,869
    Thank Post
    574
    Thanked 998 Times in 770 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    461
    Yeah, it's proven to work well. For instance, the so called "crowdsourcing" where 4chan/reddit were involved got 2 innocent people in serious trouble - not only with the police but randoms who believed they were involved and tried all sorts of nasty things...

  9. #8
    CAM
    CAM is offline

    CAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Burgh Heath, Surrey
    Posts
    4,071
    Thank Post
    812
    Thanked 353 Times in 277 Posts
    Blog Entries
    60
    Rep Power
    280
    Boston is proof that the public cannot be relied upon. The guy on the roof, no link. The arab guy in the park on his knees, no link. Could intercept SkyDrive and Google+ uploads though...

  10. #9

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,617
    Thank Post
    514
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    831
    The idea of crowd sourcing is not to listen to the conspiracies of the nuts online, but to gather all the raw photos and videos.

    Some of the nutty stuff may have some use, but it is by no means sensible for a law enforcement agency to use it with any weight.

    The bombers here were mainly caught due to one of the victims identifying one of them, and the police then looking at videos and photos.

  11. #10
    CAM
    CAM is offline

    CAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Burgh Heath, Surrey
    Posts
    4,071
    Thank Post
    812
    Thanked 353 Times in 277 Posts
    Blog Entries
    60
    Rep Power
    280
    The problem comes from what the nutty ones do. Like chasing after guys who were falsely identified and passing the information on to even nuttier vigilantes.

  12. #11

    TechMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    3,286
    Thank Post
    225
    Thanked 405 Times in 302 Posts
    Rep Power
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroman View Post
    I smell another conspiracy here, another incident where a "training exercise" was happening at exactly the same time and place, the constant U-turns about people being arrested then not being arrested, a saudi suspect to person of interest to a saudi who?? It's very fishy
    The problem with that was the media more than anything. In there constant need to report something, anything, they were resorting to grabbing any little bit and stating almost as fact. They were trawling the Reddit threads and reporting any little lead someone posted as a interesting thought or possibility. The Saudi suspect was never involved and Boston PD had to spend time announcing that they had NO suspect in custody to counter the NY Times and FOX broadcasting blatant lies.

    Don't know if you watched Newsroom but that has a great section where they are working on the Gabrielle Gifford shooting. Other stations started reporting that she was confirmed dead, one of the management of the newsroom being followed demands they declare it too as they are losing viewers every minute they hold off. Suddenly they get a call to say she is alive and out of surgery. The other news stations had jumped the gun just to get the scoop.

  13. #12


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,577
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 852 Times in 731 Posts
    Rep Power
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    The problem with that was the media more than anything. In there constant need to report something, anything, they were resorting to grabbing any little bit and stating almost as fact. They were trawling the Reddit threads and reporting any little lead someone posted as a interesting thought or possibility. The Saudi suspect was never involved and Boston PD had to spend time announcing that they had NO suspect in custody to counter the NY Times and FOX broadcasting blatant lies.

    Don't know if you watched Newsroom but that has a great section where they are working on the Gabrielle Gifford shooting. Other stations started reporting that she was confirmed dead, one of the management of the newsroom being followed demands they declare it too as they are losing viewers every minute they hold off. Suddenly they get a call to say she is alive and out of surgery. The other news stations had jumped the gun just to get the scoop.
    maybe 24h news stations need a 10 minute delay so they have chance to check what goes out on air?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27th November 2012, 07:10 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 3rd November 2008, 08:46 AM
  3. Connect printer to a machine off the network
    By andrew_91090 in forum Windows
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 21st October 2008, 03:56 PM
  4. Interesting Moodle item on the Grauniad
    By sahmeepee in forum Virtual Learning Platforms
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11th January 2008, 10:36 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •