+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Lengthen school day says Gove! in General; Ah, just what wonderful idea is this man going to come up with next in his constant crusade to tinker ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Lengthen school day says Gove!

Ah, just what wonderful idea is this man going to come up with next in his constant crusade to tinker with education.

BBC News - Gove urges longer days and shorter holidays for pupils

Thank Post
    Great, even less time to rebuild, rewire and install new kit. Just what everyone needs. I don't really need to spend time with my family. At all. Ever!

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sorry but I'm all for it. Look at the Asian model of education - longer days and shorter holidays. No wonder our education system is lagging behind now. And compulsory languages from age 4. And proper IT. Not PowerPoint crap.

4. 3 Thanks to tech_guy:

AMLightfoot (22nd April 2013), DMcGuigan (22nd April 2013), Gibbo (22nd April 2013)

Thank Post
    13 weeks off is just silly.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If it had come from almost anyone else it'd probably be worth some serious debate. This is likely to be as well thought through as the rest of his policys (most likely lifted directly from the 1945 conservative manifesto). I wouldn't be surprised that his next big idea is work houses for the poor, good knows we need them - rampaging unemployment, kids truenting everywhere, benefits cheats and chavs everywhere you look - it's getting bad I tell you. You can hardly walk from Harrods to Claradiges with out bumping into these annoying little oiks...

Thank Post
    I'm all for it too, the kids need to be in full time education, not having all the subjects crammed in over the short day - short academic year. It would also enable the teachers to get stuck into their subject rather than just trying to get the kids through an exam. However, it does need some serious thought rather than rushed in as per usual.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Actually finding myself agreeing with Gove. *shudder*

Thank Post
    Totally agree with it, they need to be used to the working day.

As for time when things needs to be done, evenings, weekends, plan the downtime and inform users will be down, its what we do in the corporate world as we don't have the joys of so many holidays.

Thank Post
    I'm for it.

I can see lots of benefits from it but can also see teachers dead against the idea.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am with MatthewL. In the corporate world we get no such luxury and have 4 weeks, not 13. Teachers tend to go from school, too college, too uni, back to school and dont know what a full working day is like (planning etc is also done in the corporate world at home, hell I have spent 80 or so hours writing scripts for customers in my own time since I started my job).

Also in France and various scandinavian countries the school day is longer, but on the flip side, there is no homework.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post

As for time when things needs to be done, evenings, weekends, plan the downtime and inform users will be down, its what we do in the corporate world as we don't have the joys of so many holidays.
    Heh!! that's a bit cheeky I do that already in the "non-corporate" world!!

Thank Post
    Totally agree with it, they need to be used to the working day.
    A 9 year old needs to be used to the working day? 0_o & who decides what a working day is? the 8-5 some do? the 9-5 that is considered standard? 10 till 1? 9pm till 05.30? That's it, we start having night shifts so kids get used to some of them working that?

Ok, the holidays are maybe long but what about allowing kids to be kids, to see the sun? Do we really want them to hate education more than some all ready do? To grind them down to think drudge work is standard? & what about looking at the private sector? They seem to have even longer holidays & yet their results seem to be ok. 3 weeks for Easter?

14. 2 Thanks to TechMonkey:

gshaw (19th April 2013), SteveT (19th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Agreed, this is what we do already. Holidays are for "hey, why don't we demolish the physics block" scale projects, not standard-issue systems maintenance. It'll go a long way towards fixing those schools that only deploy patches in the holidays, then whine they get compromised.

The bonus is that LAs, RBCs etc will all have to start doing proper out-of-hours (i.e stupid o'clock maintenance windows) work on the infrastructure they provide, which will hopefully lead to broken things being fixed (as opposed to "still not fixed and we reported it yesterday") overnight.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure about the longer days. Young kids struggle to concentrate over long periods of time. Many are knackered after a normal school day, let alone a longer one.

However, the holidays are a hangover from ye olde times. I didn't enjoy 6 weeks off as a kid personally, I was bored by about week 3.

There's a key thing here though - if they want schools to have longer days and fewer holidays, then this will cost more. Staff will be in for more hours, both teaching and non-teaching.

Things like IT and building maintenance will end up having less time to get things done - meaning downtime during the school day, or people working weekends/nights - so more money.

In a time of austerity, are the government going to increase budgets to accommodate this?

17. 2 Thanks to localzuk:

gshaw (19th April 2013), superfletch (19th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,620 Posts
    With shorter holidays, I would like to know how parents are supposed to get time off work to go on holiday.... everyone would want to be on holiday at the same time. It would also increase the price of holidays at peak times as demand surges in these periods.

Perhaps Mr Gove should be lookjng at parliamentary hours too. If parliament started sitting earlier in the day and didn't get even more holidays (recesses) than the schools, perhaps we'd get better laws?! Or perhaps it doesn't work like that, eh?!

19. 10 Thanks to elsiegee40:

adam_green (22nd April 2013), ButterflyMoon (19th April 2013), Ephelyon (19th April 2013), E_G_R2 (19th April 2013), Kem (19th April 2013), nephilim (19th April 2013), p3dr0 (22nd April 2013), pcstru (19th April 2013), Roberto (19th April 2013), SimpleSi (19th April 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast