+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Lead ICT Technician. What pay should you be looking at? in General; Hi, I'm currently a IT technician but have recently taken over the running of the entire network including 8 server, ...

Thank Post

Lead ICT Technician. What pay should you be looking at?

Hi,

I'm currently a IT technician but have recently taken over the running of the entire network including 8 server, vle and all the machines over 5 sites. There is also a possibility of a 6th site soon.

As I was doing all of this they said they will be offering me the position of lead ict technician and seemed to suggest band 8. We also have another lead technician (1 manager, 1 lead, 1 techy(me) and a temp techy at our place), I believe the other lead is on band 8 but not sure how/if it's possible to confirm this.

Today I've got in writing that I'm going to be staying on the same band but put to the top of the scale 17k. This means that there will also be no further increases either as once your at the top of the band your then stuck there.

To me I think that they are taking the mick but would like to know what others get in a similar job.

Thanks
    Last edited by dany2010; 16th April 2013 at 07:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's more of the network manager role, so you need to have in writing your tasks. If they are offering £17k for the role and want you to do NM stuff, then ask for higher banding but a slightly lower start point, this way you can go up the scale as you progress.

When I finished in 1 school as the NM, I finished on £21.5k, and this was for 2 servers, 1 vle, 2 IT suites, 100 student laptops, 50 staff machines, plus the AV equipment and managing 2 members of staff and 6 apprentices.

I did a contract role covering a NM at a university whilst he was off during a disciplinary and was making £350 a day doing so for 2 weeks, and was offered the role after he finished at a rate of £180 a day for a minimum of 6 months (worked out to be £46.8k for the year). This was covering 15 physical servers, (close to 80 VMs), 19 IT suites, 500 student laptops, 1300 members of staff, and close to 20k students.

It all depends on the amount of equipment, amount of staff, amount of students.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Does sound low but it also depends on the job spec for these roles - can you get them? They should exist. That'll give you a better idea of where you fall job-wise.
    In my LA you CANNOT be a network manager unless you manage at least one person and are responsible for a budget. So it doesn't matter how many servers you look after or networks you design, you'll be a senior tech unless you do.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the info.

Think I might have made a mistake. Thought I was already band 6 but I'm actually 4 at the mo so all is good.

Our lea is the same. Our manager is the ICT manager as network manager involved doing budgets but also is a extra band. He now doing budgets anyway but still only has ICT manager wages

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    When I finished in 1 school as the NM, I finished on £21.5k, and this was for 2 servers, 1 vle, 2 IT suites, 100 student laptops, 50 staff machines, plus the AV equipment and managing 2 members of staff and 6 apprentices.

I did a contract role covering a NM at a university whilst he was off during a disciplinary and was making £350 a day doing so for 2 weeks, and was offered the role after he finished at a rate of £180 a day for a minimum of 6 months (worked out to be £46.8k for the year). This was covering 15 physical servers, (close to 80 VMs), 19 IT suites, 500 student laptops, 1300 members of staff, and close to 20k students.

It all depends on the amount of equipment, amount of staff, amount of students.
    You can't really compare the two though, universities do tend to pay a lot more than schools. The entry level helpdesk guys here are not on much less than you were as an NM in a school.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know I cant give a direct comparison, however showing how much it differs and the wages involved shows how varying a NM can be paid.

Thank Post
    Depends on job spec I guess?

I'm directly responsible for 18 servers, CCTV, 650+ PCs and Laptops, the WLAN, the LAN, 1000+ users and anything else that has a 3-pin electric plug attached to it and I get £16K per year.

I must be mad.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JPShields View Post
    Depends on job spec I guess?

I'm directly responsible for 18 servers, CCTV, 650+ PCs and Laptops, the WLAN, the LAN, 1000+ users and anything else that has a 3-pin electric plug attached to it and I get £16K per year.

I must be mad.
    You must do anything for a bit of cash!

To the OP, make that 1 a 2 and you'd be in the ball park.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread