+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Oblivion in General; I really enjoyed it, though the plan didn't make much sense. Doesn't everyone know by now that 12A = the ...

Thank Post
    I really enjoyed it, though the plan didn't make much sense.

Doesn't everyone know by now that 12A = the studios gave us a load of dosh so we've passed off responsibility on to the parents?

Thank Post
    the plan
    Plan? Plan?? No-one told me there was a Plan!

Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I went last night and was quite disappointed. FAR too many moody shots of Tom Cruise (looking quite old, I thought!)

The first bit was very very slow and then when things started to change, it was a bit "oh, things are completely not what I thought - OK then, I'll go with that" for my liking.

Not too much in the sex/nudity/swearing department I thought.

Some loose ends too which I can't mention of course.
    CGI was very good but overall not that thrilling a film. 'Cept the droids are really scary!
    I watched Oblivion last week and thought pretty much exactly the same. Slow slow slow, then all of a sudden trying to work out twists and reality and what was going on. Also couldn't help feeling sorry for the red-headed girl which I suspect I wasn't really supposed to, and couldn't help tutting and rolling my eyes at Tom Cruise trying to be the hero all the time, which again I suspect I wasn't really supposed to!

4. Thanks to kaphc from:

witch (18th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Well my 19 yr old daughter (non-geek) said she thought it was one of the best films she'd seen in a while - and she's watched them all!

Simon

When I say all - she won't watch any "old" films e.g pre-1993

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,524 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Undecided whether to watch this or Olympus Has Fallen next week when I go out with the missus for our 5-years-together. It is genuinely a case of one or t'other, I won't be able to catch the other one until it appears on Netflix. Anyone seen 'em both to comment?

Thank Post
    Haha, maybe I'm not part of an effective team then Could be that it's a film I would enjoy more watching second time round.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,183 Times in 653 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC View Post
    Think I'll give it a rattle and come back with my verdict (which I predict now will probably be "AWESOME! Go see it!")
    Well, not awesome, but quite enjoyable I thought. Impeccable visuals, as you can tell from the trailer, and decent action, but the plot and dialogue are not hugely compelling. It's a fairly good story, but I only felt mildly gripped.

Recommended if you have a spare evening, but falls short of a must-see IMO.

Al

Thank Post
    It's a fairly good story, but I only felt mildly gripped.
    I'm starting to wonder whether people have been to see the same film!

The one I went to see had about 99 twists in it (Slight exaggeration )

We are not making an Effective Team here

Si

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kaphc View Post
    couldn't help feeling sorry for the red-headed girl which I suspect I wasn't really supposed to
    She was a bit of a stalker though (the scene when the photo was taken and "It's always her"). But she was very pretty, particularly for someone who played the young Maggie Thatcher.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Undecided whether to watch this or Olympus Has Fallen next week when I go out with the missus for our 5-years-together. It is genuinely a case of one or t'other, I won't be able to catch the other one until it appears on Netflix. Anyone seen 'em both to comment?
    When are you going out? "Olympus" is our film for next Wednesday.

Have just realised: we saw the new Bryan Singer movie last week so that means our two most recent cinema visits have been to see Jack the Giant Slayer and Tom Thumb.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,757 Posts
    ..and then there's the new Star Trek, the new Iron Man and that one with Will Smith and his son - After Earth?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,454 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    ..and then there's the new Star Trek, the new Iron Man and that one with Will Smith and his son - After Earth?
    And a new Spider-man, "The Wolverine", Thor 2, Avengers 2, Cap'n 'Merica 2, X-men 4?, a Fantastic 4 reboot [REBOOT ALL THE FILMS!] and Kick-ass 2 in the next couple of years.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    When are you going out? "Olympus" is our film for next Wednesday.
    Monday evening, and those are the two films on at our local kinema. I was leaning towards Olympus, but this thread has me thinking that Oblivion might actually be quite good, not always a given with a Tom Cruise sci-fi (Minority Report was the last decent one, though WotW was entertaining in its own, unambitious way)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Monday evening
    Too early for me to comment, then. I'm expecting Olympus to be a brain-off "Die Hard in the White House" movie. Oblivion was a good, slightly cerebral SF thriller. Not sure why the latter gas had such sniffy reviews, Mme LeMarchand and I thought it was great Mind you, we rarely come out of the cinema not having enjoyed a film, mainly because we watch the trailer/s which generally give a good idea of what to expect (if not too much of what to expect). Not sure why this simple technique seems to have escaped most of the members on IMDb.

Thank Post
    So which did you see?

Having now seen both, I definitely preferred "Oblivion", though "Olympus" was fun. The Secretary of State in the latter was the boss in the former. Quite surprised that The White House doesn't change/revoke access codes when staff leave though!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    So which did you see?

Having now seen both, I definitely preferred "Oblivion", though "Olympus" was fun. The Secretary of State in the latter was the boss in the former. Quite surprised that The White House doesn't change/revoke access codes when staff leave though!
    Oblivion (I meant to come back and update but forgot, so cheers for the reminder)

It was thoroughly derivative, entirely predictably and all in all, enjoyable, satisfying and entertaining I guessed every twist about 5 minutes before it happened, which is the right window for keeping me entertained and making me feel smart. The visuals were beautiful and the soundtrack was gorgeous, and Tom Cruise was Tom Cruise in a film designed to accomodate that, so it worked perfectly.

We had fun playing "spot the Tom Cruise reference" as well - we certainly picked out Top Gun (sunglasses in the shack), Jerry Maguire (NY baseball cap) and Mission: Impossible (dangling from a wire, obv). The missus reckons that there were hints of Cocktail as well, when he was trying to talk Victoria out of the tower, and the comms tower was reminiscent of Minority Report. Anyone spot any others?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast