+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
General Chat Thread, Two Explosions Rock Boston Marathon in General; @ GREED you can come home now...

Thank Post
    @GREED you can come home now

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,710 Times in 2,001 Posts
    ...after the "uncovering" and subsequent dismissal of numerous fake accounts, it appears the 19-year-old's legitimate Twitter presence has discovered.

Glossing over the whole of J_tsar's Twitter activity, you'd be hard-pressed to tell him apart from most other 19-year-olds. There are references aplenty to TV shows, junk food, and weed. Jahar reveals himself to be a fan of Breaking Bad and rap. But beyond the pop cultural postings, there's also insight pointing to his faith. Jahar's first direct mention of Islam came in December of last year. "Brothers at the mosque either think I'm a convert or that I'm from Algeria or Syria, just the other day a guy asked me how I came to Islam," he wrote. From there, the mentions of his religious affiliation ramp up, but are still far outweighed by other, less serious posts. Nowhere in his Twitter timeline does Jahar share views that resemble radicalism. In fact, he seeks to defend Islam on occasion from those who associate the religion with terrorism. (Source)

^ Why does Dzhokhar defend Islam and then go and do the complete opposite which simply reinforces the stereotype?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,921 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Indeed. His dad says they were set up. But that makes little sense, due to the running gun fights, throwing explosives at police, being identified by one of the bomb victims etc...

Maybe it's a case of the older brother being the person who planned it all, but the younger brother looked up to him and followed him?

Hopefully, the medical teams at Beth Israel will get him patched up and he can end up on trial and answer for his crimes.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm home!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    I'm home!
    Well done! That was a bit too much if an adventure I think!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Definitely! An experience I won't forget. Unexpected stop over in Dublin at 4 this morning too.

Nice to land an hear they got him.

7. Thanks to GREED from:

elsiegee40 (20th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    I'm amazed the police radios aren't encrypted (assuming that's a regular scanner).
    There's an interesting article on The Verge today about unencrypted radios (like the ones used by the Boston Police).

Why are police scanners open to the public?

The more open the communication system, in other words, the smaller the chance of problems during an emergency.

Encryption only exacerbates potential communication problems, in other words. When many departments need to speak with one another at the same time, there needs to be an easy way to do it. Public police scanner frequencies provide that. And most police bureaus in the United States have chosen to keep these frequencies open rather than deal with the hassle of organizing every agency into one encrypted frequency.
    “In the end, our position is that [eliminating access to police scanner frequencies] harms public access,” Leslie says. “There’s a lot of public good done by letting the media and the public know what first responders are up to and it’s a shame that that could all go away.”

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    There's an interesting article on The Verge today about unencrypted radios (like the ones used by the Boston Police).

Why are police scanners open to the public?
    This has always struck me as a bit odd, and in the UK it would probably breach the DPA! Having said that it is quite interesting to listen to some of these transmissions!

Thank Post
    Someone took pictures of the shootout

OnHand — On Hand Pictures of Tsarneav Brothers

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    Someone took pictures of the shootout
    I wondered how the chair got that hole!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truebluesteve View Post
    This has always struck me as a bit odd, and in the UK it would probably breach the DPA! Having said that it is quite interesting to listen to some of these transmissions!
    It's not that long ago that emergency service radios in the uk became encrypted.

Ben

Thank Post
    The bombers next target was New York!

Mayor Bloomberg, NYC Police Commissioner: Boston bomber suspects planned attack in Times Square

New York City Mayor Bloomberg held a press conference with Police Commissioner Kelly on Thursday afternoon to report that the surviving suspected bomber, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, has admitted that he and his brother Tamerlan Tsarnaev "spontaneously" planned an attack in Times Square following the bombing of the Boston Marathon. Police Commissioner Kelly says that Dzhokhar has indicated to the FBI that the decision was made following a carjacking last Thursday night to drive to New York and detonate further explosives.

Police Commissioner Kelly said that the men had prepared six explosive devices which they had with them: one pressure cooker bomb and five pipe bombs. He further reports that surveillance cameras captured footage of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev in Times Square "with friends" in April of 2012, and that they believe he visited New York City once again in November of 2012.

Thank Post
    Also...

Sunil Tripathi, falsely linked on social media to Boston bombings, found dead

Sunil Tripathi, the Brown University student falsely identified by people posting on Reddit and Twitter as a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings, is dead.

The 22-year-old's body was recovered from the waters around India Point Park in Rhode Island. In a post on Facebook, Tripathi's family confirmed Tripathi's death...

Shortly after the bombings, people posting on Twitter and Reddit inaccurately speculated about Tripathi's possible involvement.

Tripathi had been missing prior to last week's Boston terror attack. He was last seen March 15.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345