+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, And I wonder why so many people brick their devices! in General; there are also some fairly complicated thinks you sometimes have to do to flash them. the guide for my desire ...

Thank Post
    there are also some fairly complicated thinks you sometimes have to do to flash them. the guide for my desire s goes on about s-on s-off rooting and all sorts. The "factory" (read unsupported buggy battery draining crummy bluetooth) ics upgrade went on easily iirc i set it to one usb mode on phone ran an exe and waited. ive yet to come accross a compleeing reason to root it and tbh if i could easily take it back to gingerbread i would but it just looks way too complicated. As to forums like xda maybe they need to post instructions on a read only post then allow the author to move useful posts to that and keep chat on a separate post keeping the signal to noise at an acceptable level

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I wonder how long it will be before some of the more forums have entry tests to ensure anyone trying to join will understand the subject matter within to prevent contributors getting bogged down with hand holding?
    This could never happen, in reality, in my opinion. There HAS to be a level for anyone to start at, and although I consider myself to be fairly intelligent, and can follow instructions pretty well, there's always the thought of bricking a device in the background.

Once you start locking people out of forums, they'll never learn and the pool of people willing to help others gets smaller and smaller. On the Galaxy S forum, on XDA, I have helped out a few people with advice...I am NOT a developer, but what I have learnt over the years means that I can take some of the pressure off the developer, and help those who are just coming in to flashing.

People will ALWAYS find a way to brick their phones....It's up to the rest of us to help them out!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post
    I've considered going my Desire HD but never plucked up the courage to do it, want to get it running latest Android if I can but there is something saying don't do it.
    @MatthewL - To reassure you, I recently rooted my Desire HD and loaded JellyTime for Desire HD on it. Had no issues what so ever. I had never rooted a phone before so did lots of reading and research before hand, then decided to take the plunge.

I followed this thread for the root: How to Root the HTC Desire HD - xda-developers

The process was exactly as shown in the guide and video and worked and worked a treat. Took 10 minutes roughly to complete.

I downloaded and installed this ROM which is great: JellyBean - JELLYTIME for DHD/Inspire4g - 4.2.2 R7 Available - xda-developers

The only issue with the ROM at the moment is that bluetooth functionality is broken, but a fix should be out soon.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    My Desire was easy and my daughter is still using it as such. I Modded my Hannspad, easily too. Modding my current Sensation made it an XE.

Not looked at my new Samsung Tab2 yet.

I wonder how many actually 'Brick' their devices. All the times I messed up I could recover easily enough.

Thank Post
    My Desire was also easy. I did the root first and then a couple of months later did the s-off hack. In both cases I read everthing I could about the hack and watched videos a lot of times. Now running [ROM] SUPERNOVA Xtreme Official GB 06/Mar/12 | 2GB INTERNAL MEMORY|Optimized KERNEL - xda-developers which is a really good rom.
    Last edited by JJonas; 15th April 2013 at 11:22 AM.

Thank Post
    The thing I'm toying with doing now is overclocking my Desire HD, however I think that the risk is more significant then a standard root. There seem to be alot of posts/threads/ino on the internet about it but some info conflicts with others.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    @MatthewL - To reassure you, I recently rooted my Desire HD and loaded JellyTime for Desire HD on it. Had no issues what so ever. I had never rooted a phone before so did lots of reading and research before hand, then decided to take the plunge.

I followed this thread for the root: How to Root the HTC Desire HD - xda-developers

The process was exactly as shown in the guide and video and worked and worked a treat. Took 10 minutes roughly to complete.

I downloaded and installed this ROM which is great: JellyBean - JELLYTIME for DHD/Inspire4g - 4.2.2 R7 Available - xda-developers

The only issue with the ROM at the moment is that bluetooth functionality is broken, but a fix should be out soon.
    Thanks for that, will wait till bluetooth is fixed as I need that for handsfree but will take a read over and see what I think.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    A big part of the problem is that forums are an extremely bad place to put those instructions. Everything you need to know is not always contained within the first couple of posts of a thread. Instead, it is scattered across multiple websites and/or sub-forums with tens or sometimes hundreds of pages, each filled with useless trivial comments, massive signatures, hideous avatars, animated GIFs, Tapatalk spam and information that is no longer relevant. Is it any wonder people end up with bricked Android devices due to the high signal to noise ratio and the vast array of variables involved (carrier-specific firmware, manufacturer restrictions, devices with the same model name/number but different hardware etc.)? With cheap Chinese tablets and smartphones especially, how do you find the single comment that could mean the difference between bricking/not bricking your Android device or fixing/not fixing an annoying bug or feature? It's almost impossible unless you have hours/days/weeks to sift through the metaphorical haystack looking for the elusive needle!
    This!

Recently upgraded from a HTC Desire to a Sensation. My Desire was flashed with CM7 out of necessity - it got stuck in a bootloop on the stock OS and I tried all the solutions I could find and they didn't work. I found flashing the Desire a breeze after I'd found all the relevant pages, but admittedly did need to go to multiple different sources to get there (one explaining rEVOlution, another I think about S-Off, etc) BUT, I got a nice tax rebate through and thought I'd treat myself as, even though it was flashed, the Desire was running slow being multiple years old (and second-hand when I got it!)

Cue brand new Sensation, and the 'oh my god, the stock OS is terrible now I've experienced better!' that I'm positive other people here will have experienced. I tried to put up with it, but even after a few hours I couldn't stand it. So, I broke out the data cable and set to work flashing it. Got the custom recovery on fine, S-off'd it fine, installed the OS fine. But what's this? It boots up, but after ~10-15 seconds blacks out and restarts. I found several (~30) posts of people having the same problem, each with countless replies of 'me too' etc. After about two hours of searching, I finally found the solution - bootloader upgrade. The custom ROM's based on a newer version of Android than the Sensation comes with (or something like that, I don't recall clearly, it WAS almost 5am by this point!) But that information was tucked away in a corner of the internet and never mentioned on the 'main' Sensation thread. In fact, the 'main' sensation thread mentioned 'Only compatible with version w, x, y and z bootloader' of which mine was one of them. After the update to the bootloader, (which then made it a version that wasn't w, x, y or z) and a re-install of the OS, all worked perfectly and I've not had a problem since.

It's a daunting task sometimes, and if you brick it that's your own fault - but sometimes the informaton just isn't clear enough. I consider it I got lucky both times.

*edit. Also wanted to flash to unlock the phone, rather than pay for someone else to do it/fetch me the unlock code. But if I'd have not been so miffed with the stock OS (which honestly, is good, but in comparison is just less fluid and customisable) I'd have paid for an unlock code instead of flashing.
    Last edited by Garacesh; 16th April 2013 at 08:50 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12