+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Please Sign - Close AskFM Down (If you agree) in General; I'm sorry if I have put this in the wrong place. One of the pastoral managers at our school has ...

Thank Post

Please Sign - Close AskFM Down (If you agree)

I'm sorry if I have put this in the wrong place.

One of the pastoral managers at our school has created a campaign on Change.org to get Ask.fm to be closed down, it may not make any difference but I was wondering if people would be able to sign it as this site has been the choice of many bullies for attacking other for no reason.

Below is a link and I would be very grateful if people could sign it.

Askfm: Close down the site

Thanks

A
    Last edited by Ad93; 9th April 2013 at 11:42 AM.

Thank Post
    I'd be tempted to if there were a little more in the way of detail. First glance is seems like a basic q and a website, which in itself isn't bullying. Do they have poor moderation policies?

Thank Post
    Should we have a petition to shut down facebook, twitter and youtube too? They're used for bullying as well, after all.

Edit: Maybe using a picture of yourself (I'm assuming that's you) where you're giving the finger to the camera is not the best idea for a petition website. Just a thought.
    Last edited by Sdrawkcab; 9th April 2013 at 11:22 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    I'd be tempted to if there were a little more in the way of detail. First glance is seems like a basic q and a website, which in itself isn't bullying. Do they have poor moderation policies?
    Yes sorry forgot to put that. It does appear that the site is just a simple Q & A but there isn't a limit as to what is deemed to be offensive question or an offensive answer.

I'm not on the site, but from what I am told there isn't a report feature which allows the reporting of offensive comments. Also if you manage to contact them regarding a question or answer there appears to be no follow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    Should we have a petition to shut down facebook, twitter and youtube too? They're used for bullying as well, after all.

Edit: Maybe using a picture of yourself (I'm assuming that's you) where you're giving the finger to the camera is not the best idea for a petition website. Just a thought.
    I know Facebook & Twitter are used in the same principle but not the same offensive nature as Ask.FM, it would appear that there is no one in charge of moderation or anyone who looks into comments which can be deemed to be offensive. (Again I don't use the site so can only go off word of mouth) There doesn't appear to be a proper report facility to get inappropriate comments removed.

I can only apologise about the picture but that isn't me. The form must have been created through a linked Facebook account and that is the creators picture. My picture won't appear because I just signed the petition and not created. Again sorry for any offence caused.

A
    Last edited by Ad93; 9th April 2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Extra detail

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,697 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes sorry forgot to put that. It does appear that the site is just a simple Q & A but there isn't a limit as to what is deemed to be offensive question or an offensive answer.
    But we don't live in China where everything is censored....

Anyway why would they close down if you get people to sign the petition?

Thank Post
    There are only three signatures on the petitiion, would it not be better to start your own petition with better information?
    Last edited by JJonas; 9th April 2013 at 12:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    But we don't live in China where everything is censored....

Anyway why would they close down if you get people to sign the petition?
    Just a hope really.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ad93 View Post
    I'm sorry if I have put this in the wrong place.

One of the pastoral managers at our school has created a campaign on Change.org to get Ask.fm to be closed down, it may not make any difference but I was wondering if people would be able to sign it as this site has been the choice of many bullies for attacking other for no reason.

Below is a link and I would be very grateful if people could sign it.

Askfm: Close down the site

Thanks

A

Am i the only one who thinks that a "pastoral manager" might want to change the photo on the petition? I know that @Sdrawkcab made reference to it earlier, but that is clearly an unsuitable picture.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    Am i the only one who thinks that a "pastoral manager" might want to change the photo on the petition? I know that @Sdrawkcab made reference to it earlier, but that is clearly an unsuitable picture.
    No I do agree with you about the picture either change it or get it hidden would be advisable.

Thank Post
    or sign one of the other petitiions asking for the same thing

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    or sign one of the other petitiions asking for the same thing
    Yes the pastoral manger has just noticed this. I didn't pay that much attention last night as to whether their would be others set up.

Possibly just ignore this petition completely as I don't think it will get enough signatures.

Thank Post
    The guys who run Ask.FM are really unlikely to shut it down because I'd imagine it's making decent money. I know it's not a nice way to look at it, but you could even argue that they would view the bullying as a good thing because it directs more traffic to the site.

Besides which, if this site does get shut down the kids using it will just move onto something else. When I was at school Livejournal was the site of choice for this sort of thing, once that was blocked on the network everyone just moved onto other blogging sites. You can't stop this sort of behaviour by censoring people. Wouldn't it be more effective to send a letter home to parents saying "we are aware that some students are using ask.fm to carry out bullying, you might want to make sure yours isn't" or words to that effect? Why expect a website to do the duty that the bullying kids parents should be doing?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The site is registered in Latvia... So, a petition isn't going to be much use unless its Latvian.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    The guys who run Ask.FM are really unlikely to shut it down because I'd imagine it's making decent money. I know it's not a nice way to look at it, but you could even argue that they would view the bullying as a good thing because it directs more traffic to the site.

Besides which, if this site does get shut down the kids using it will just move onto something else. When I was at school Livejournal was the site of choice for this sort of thing, once that was blocked on the network everyone just moved onto other blogging sites. You can't stop this sort of behaviour by censoring people. Wouldn't it be more effective to send a letter home to parents saying "we are aware that some students are using ask.fm to carry out bullying, you might want to make sure yours isn't" or words to that effect? Why expect a website to do the duty that the bullying kids parents should be doing?
    I just thought I would spread the message. It has caused problems now and then and I said I would pass the petition on so I just fulfilling what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The site is registered in Latvia... So, a petition isn't going to be much use unless its Latvian.
    Fair point

A

Thank Post
    I have to agree with the wish to close down this site. It has caused lots of problems here.

Yes, we also get facebook and twitter issues, but this site just seems to attract cyberbullying. If we added the issues with facebook and twitter together and doubled it, we still wouldn't reach the number of problems we've had with this site.

Meldrew

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast