+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Debts and The Deceased.... in General; A bit morbid I know but I need some advice, some members (inlaws) of my family who are now in ...
    Thank Post

Debts and The Deceased....

A bit morbid I know but I need some advice,

some members (inlaws) of my family who are now in there 60's have been getting loan after loan after loan, shoppaccheck, banks, private loans etc etc.

Im wondering where I'd stand that if the croaked and left all this debt behind (well over 5 grand) would I be the one liable to pay it all back ?

TIA.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,879 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It used to be the debt died with the person, however legislation changed (watched this on a channel 4 investigation program). It now gets recovered from the deceased persons estate and belongings, and then onto next of kin up to 100'000. Anything beyond is written off.

Thank Post
    right, Well they have no estate, they dont even own the car that they have (mobility) and there belongings are not worth alot.

So does this mean that it'd probs get passed to me ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    More than likely unless you emancipate yourself from them...

*edit*

Just saw it is your in laws, it would pass to their children, not you. If it is just your wife, she can apply for emancipation and then the debt passes on to the spouse, and upon the spouses death, the debt is written off.
    Last edited by nephilim; 8th April 2013 at 01:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    It used to be the debt died with the person, however legislation changed (watched this on a channel 4 investigation program). It now gets recovered from the deceased persons estate and belongings, and then onto next of kin up to 100'000. Anything beyond is written off.
    Is this true? That's outrageous! How can a debt be transferred to a completely separate individual?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Blame the finance sector for this. It prevents people running up ludicrous debts and then the finance companies being out of pocket.

It was passed silently with no objections because not many knew it was happening.

7. Thanks to nephilim from:

cpjitservices (8th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Wonderful... looks like its down to me then...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    When my Dad died last year his, and his estate couldn't cover the debts, they were written off. I was told at the time that the debt's couldn't be passed on as only his signature was on the credit agreement. I'm sure each credit provider will take a different view, but they all have funds to write off debt like this. First port of call is always to contact the credit provide directly and send them a death certificate. Then wait and see.

10. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Do you have a link to any official info on this?
    All I can find is lots of info on how only signatories to debts are liable, if there are none then its paid from the estate, if there is not enough money then normal insolvency rules are followed. Debts cannot be passed onto to non-signatories.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Will see if I can find it. It was on dispatches (I remembered the program) around January time.

Thank Post
    I dont think thats right -
    This is from CAB website ;
    Citizens Advice - Dealing with the financial affairs of someone who has died

"Debts
    The person who has died may have left debts, for example, an overdraft on their account or a credit agreement that has not been paid off. When someone dies you should always try to tell all their creditors.

In general, if there is not enough money in the estate of the person who has died to pay their debts their creditors cannot recover the amount still owed from anyone else, including that person's surviving relatives. You should check whether that person had any kind of insurance policy that would pay off any of their debts on their death, for example, a payment protection insurance policy taken out at the same time as a loan.

In some cases the debt may have been a joint one, for example, an overdraft on a joint account or an amount owed on a credit agreement taken out in joint names. If this is the case, the debt can still be recovered from the surviving person. In addition, if you lived with someone who has died you may still be liable for debts that relate to the property, such as council tax or water bills."

14. Thanks to fiza from:

Thank Post
    @fiza is spot on with the link.
    It only gets confusing as next of kin you will most likely become responsible to obtain probate or administer the estate of those that have run up the debts.

This is where ill advised or unprepared you could easily fall unwittingly the victim of a persistent debt collection agency.
    Don't come up for it.

Tell all creditors that they will have to wait for probate and they will get what ever there is left when finalised.

If you know these (in-Laws) have run up debts they cannot afford to repay and the interest/repayments are likely to get out of hand they need to seek advice now not wait to die and pass the responsibility of dealing with it to somebody else.
    Just hope they haven't fraudulently made your wife a guarantor or joint name on the agreement. Wouldn't be the first time...

16. Thanks to m25man from:

Thank Post
    I don't think they'd dare lol, Thanks for the advice everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    @fiza is spot on with the link.
    It only gets confusing as next of kin you will most likely become responsible to obtain probate or administer the estate of those that have run up the debts.

This is where ill advised or unprepared you could easily fall unwittingly the victim of a persistent debt collection agency.
    Don't come up for it.

Tell all creditors that they will have to wait for probate and they will get what ever there is left when finalised.

If you know these (in-Laws) have run up debts they cannot afford to repay and the interest/repayments are likely to get out of hand they need to seek advice now not wait to die and pass the responsibility of dealing with it to somebody else.
    Just hope they haven't fraudulently made your wife a guarantor or joint name on the agreement. Wouldn't be the first time...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    I too can find nothing other than the fact that debts will come out of any estate before anyone inherits anything.

I am sure that they cannot recover debt from anyone who was not involved in the debt in any way - every website I have looked at says this

19. Thanks to witch from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I too am unable to find the info, will have to see if I can find it on dispatches website.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast