+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Phone Upgrade - AHHH Can't Decide! in General; ...
    CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Phone Upgrade - AHHH Can't Decide!

I keep getting calls from Carphone Warehouse about my phone upgrade. They tried offering an Xperia U but turned it down as it lacked SD card expansion and didn't come across as all that robust with removable plastic. If you have seen my phone...well the aluminium case has more then a few dents!

So what do people recommend? I'm on a £15 a month contract with Orange that only offers 250MB a month. Wouldn't mind bumping that up a bit! There are so many handsets out there though.

And no iPhones please. Too expensive and fragile for my needs!

Thank Post
    I always refuse the phone upgrade and ask for a discount on my bill. I get 300 mins 300txts unlimited internet and massive discount when abroad for £10pm. Then get a phone online cheaper.

3. Thanks to edutech4schools from:

CAM (6th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Would certainly think orange should be able to at least do you something like an S3 on that contract now:

Samsung Galaxy S3 16GB Blue Deals - Compare the Best Deals & Offers - uSwitch.com

The Xperia U is a nice little phone but it's just that little.

Ben

5. Thanks to plexer from:

CAM (6th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would recommend the Nokia Lumia 820 or 920 running Windows Phone 8 Personally... I think it's a cracking phone!

James.

7. Thanks to EduTech from:

CAM (7th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am looking at a windows 8 phone next. I want to have a play with one first though.

9. Thanks to nephilim from:

CAM (7th April 2013)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Would Windows Phone 8 support Google Music?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    I would recommend the Nokia Lumia 820 or 920 running Windows Phone 8 Personally... I think it's a cracking phone!

James.
    Was just about to recommend this, the 820 has replaceable and robust impact plastic shells and a miniSD card, I think there are 3D models of the design so you can print your own. The 920 is great but does not have the microSD or the OLED screen but it does have a better camera and screen resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Would Windows Phone 8 support Google Music?
    I don't think Google has offered support for that directly but there is CloudMuzik Ported to Windows Phone 8, Brings Google Music | Windows 8 + Windows phone | Scoop.it that should offer support. You could also look at the Xbox music store which offers the same thing as far as I know and I think it was cheaper too.

I have a WP7 and like it as it does its job, there are less apps but that is changing and the apps that are available are usually better and in most cases cheaper than the Android equivalents.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 6th April 2013 at 02:24 PM.

12. Thanks to SYNACK from:

CAM (7th April 2013)

Thank Post
    If you fancy Windows phone and don't want something too fancy.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/noki...ehouse-1519055

14. Thanks to fiendishlyclever from:

CAM (7th April 2013)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Out and about now and the stores all but laughed at the guy offering an Xperia U! Been getting offers of Lumia 620 handsets for the 20 quid bracket. That good? 820 seems to be next bracket up.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ended up with the Lumia 620, quite a nice little phone if a tad slow in places. The 820 was just one step too high in price but this phone seems good enough since I won't be gaming on it. Any app recommendations welcome!

Now to stop fiddling with my live tiles...

17. Thanks to CAM from:

john (7th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Ended up with the Lumia 620, quite a nice little phone if a tad slow in places. The 820 was just one step too high in price but this phone seems good enough since I won't be gaming on it. Any app recommendations welcome!

Now to stop fiddling with my live tiles...
    Another convert to the nice land of Windows Phone Welcome to the comfy land of Microsoft

Good apps - Cookie Monster Sounds It's ace

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    How did you get your MSN contacts to appear? Only a few of mine have shown in People. And for some reason no wireless signal makes the phone wait when pressing the power button.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    How did you get your MSN contacts to appear? Only a few of mine have shown in People. And for some reason no wireless signal makes the phone wait when pressing the power button.
    Have you added all your accounts and made sure it has not autolinked them to their other contacts through facebook, exchange etc. Also has it run a full sync yet - check no errors in accounts screen. The other thing is are these only live messenger contacts, I know that service is winding down but I doubt that would have anything to do with it.

When I got mine it did not do a full sync as i used a really old liveid and i think I needed to logon and answer a few extra questions to stuff they want to know now.

Weird about the wifi, it does shutdown wifi when the screen sleeps and brings it back up when woken but this should not delay anything else. Hopefully they fix it in a firmware update, it is newer but has less ram, the others are a bit older and have had any bugs worked out.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I'm putting it down to early creaks being on a new network and the Skype-MSN transition going on. I haven't logged in for a while to an MSN client though. Win 8 on my PC doesn't need it, over half my MSN contacts are still missing though. Not a problem since I need to cull over half of them but there are a few missing that I want.

Very nice phone otherwise. Noticed that 3rd party apps seem to be the way to go instead of official apps.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I'm putting it down to early creaks being on a new network and the Skype-MSN transition going on. I haven't logged in for a while to an MSN client though. Win 8 on my PC doesn't need it, over half my MSN contacts are still missing though. Not a problem since I need to cull over half of them but there are a few missing that I want.

Very nice phone otherwise. Noticed that 3rd party apps seem to be the way to go instead of official apps.
    Log in to live.com or I think it is passport.net and see if it wants any more info. Also have a look at the myphone portal, may just be phone now that gives you the find your phone stuff and see if it is all working.

With third party if you mean stuff like fb and twitter then yes their apps are better than the integrated stuff but the integrated stuff is really handy at informing you of stuff at a glance and posting stuff in a hurry if desired.

Most of the built in stuff works great for me like email, music, video etc. But its up to personal preference.

As to apps have a look at the windows phone owners group on here as I think there is a discussion on it. The one I usse most is ConnectMe, an rdp client that supports damn near everything so you can conect to server all the way up to 2012 instead of just 2003 and below.

23. Thanks to SYNACK from:

CAM (7th April 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast