+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Printer Suggestions in General; We have decided to purchase a printer to share between our KS2 classrooms to lighten the load on the current ...
    Thank Post

Printer Suggestions

We have decided to purchase a printer to share between our KS2 classrooms to lighten the load on the current HP2200 inkjet we have in the ICT Suite (which recieves most of the printing from the KS1 and KS2 areas) and so I am open to suggestions for a fairy reliable colour printer with lowish overheads, could be inkjet or laser but would prefer it to be network capable. The current printer has been a faily bomb proof workhorse (touches nearest piece of wood!) but is just getting snowed under with the workload. Trust me to make the system more usable than it was!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,751 Times in 1,510 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Printer Suggestions

Have you considered a B&W printer and using colour only when necessary? If so I recommend Brothers & HP lasers. What ever you do don't get Lexmark inkjet.

Thank Post

Whilst I haven't used a K5400 directly I have used the older K550 and sibling L7000 series MFD's and you could do worse than to play with one to see if it's worth going that route.

If you do though I'd recommend always having a spare black and yellow printhead to hand and get the high cap' cartridges. You could consider a CIS for it but that's broken record time for me but in terms of speed and reliability the K5400 should be pretty good.

The only potential hiccup may be with the paper feed mechanism but unknown as to wether that's an issue as yet.

FN's suggestion of a B&W laser is a good one too though especially for rough work, etc...

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by contink
    If you do though I'd recommend always having a spare black and yellow printhead to hand and get the high cap' cartridges.
    It is funny you mention that, and it makes me wonder why you did. This is because we literally just had BOTH our K5400s YK printheads fail AT THE SAME TIME in the same room!

I found that to be just a little too convenient. a K5400dtn and a standard K5400 both began having the YK light begin blinking at the same moment on a Wednesday morning. Our other two K5400s are, knock on wood, still okay.

I have to call HP when school resumes Monday and sort this out with them, but I just am hoping I am not the only one who has had this happen to him.

Why the hell would two of the same print heads in two sep printers just fail on the same day. One printer was installed roughly 2 months before the other one, btw.

Thank Post

How many others find printers a nightmare? When I started here they were using HP970s for everything. The waste was staggering and nobody seemed to care. I got some Kyocera FS1010s and print servers. These printers have proved to be amazingly reliable and very cheap to run. The big problem is network printing in a school environment. The printer will start to churn out rubbish and the teacher just lets it keep going until it runs out of paper! One of the Kyoceras was shared between two adjacent ICT suites that was located in the server room. I got fed up with kids milling around waiting for their documents (even though there are strict instructions against this. How can we expect the kids to abide by the rules when the teachers ignore them?) So I've got a couple of HP Deskjet 1022Ns and so far they seem fine. They serve 16 computers and are pretty quick. I also got some 1020s which are pretty much the same engine but not networked. They use the same consumables which makes life much easier.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Enzomatrx
    Why the hell would two of the same print heads in two sep printers just fail on the same day. One printer was installed roughly 2 months before the other one, btw.
    I don't want to feed the conspiracy theorists too much but there's a few things to consider.

The printheads in the K550, 5400, etc... are all chipped and have an expiry date. I'm not entirely sure if the expiry date is purely for warranty or whether they will refuse to work after that date. Also there's a specific page count per printhead and all these printers keep track of the amount of prints they've done.

I could be completely wrong here but they could have done a similar print load or reached their expiry (worth checking)...

Beyond that there may be environmental factors at work. They are, after all, in the same room so they'll have been subjected to the same temperatures, humidity, etc... Somehow I doubt it though because I'm reading this that your printers announced they needed new heads.

My guess is that they hit their duty cycle... but let me know what HP tell you when you speak to them.

Thank Post

Much simpler explanation. Someone wanted to print on something unusual and broke both! :P

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy
    Much simpler explanation. Someone wanted to print on something unusual and broke both! :P
    Nah... that would break the paper feed, not the printhead

But I suppose another conspiracy theory is that someone has gone into the classroom, opened the lid, pressed and help the paper-feed button and then swapped out your printheads for their own dead ones.

Stranger things have happened... might be worth marking your printheads just to be sure in future.

Thank Post

We don't have anyone tech savvy enough at our place to even open the lids of the printers.
    Seriously. We've handed ink cartridges to people who just stare at us then try to place it on top of the printer.

I am thinking it's a humidity/heat situation, and something in the Y/K reacts. Basically, we had our AC blow at our building a month ago, and they still haven't fixed it.
    There are fans in the room going, but they are not always going (teachers turn them off, etc.).
    And when I entered in the afternoon it was full of students and was a god-damn steambath.

So I'm leaning toward "both failed at the same time on the same day because they both hit the boiling point at the same exact time".
    I just am hoping they can be salvaged in their current state; I really detest HP's punjabi help line with people who can't speak a word of English telling me their name is "David".

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer
    How many others find printers a nightmare? When I started here they were using HP970s for everything. The waste was staggering and nobody seemed to care. I got some Kyocera FS1010s and print servers. These printers have proved to be amazingly reliable and very cheap to run. The big problem is network printing in a school environment. The printer will start to churn out rubbish and the teacher just lets it keep going until it runs out of paper!
    I like the ones who start a print job, go "oh no i don't want it" and turn off the printer, then someone else starts a print job, sees it's not printing, so they proceed to hit "print" about 6 more times.
    Then the printer is turned back on, starts spewing ASCII garbage, and they just turn it off again, and we have to log in as administrators to delete the previous user's printer queue so at least the next person's stuff can begin processing, but usually the jibberish is just too much and we have to flush the whole queue and do a bunch of power cycles until eventually it's back to working order.

And they then proceed to repeat the entire process about 30 minutes later!

I know schools should have color printers and inkjets and all that; we print tons of stuff the kids use for projects, teachers use for demos, etc.
    But seriously, I am sick of the "everything needs to be in color" mentality. Print it on the fucking Lasers, which we never have a problem a simple power-cycle can't fix, and stop wasting your time and energy with slower inkjets because you wanted that flower to be pink.

Thank Post

My current profile status on the dreaded facebook is - I'm thinking I would like to smash every printer in sight into smithereens! Think that sums up schools and printers!

Thank Post

oh i hate printers, we're having our own problems with them spitting garbage out atm.

we have some hefty printers though, we have two HP 5500n's, they are superb printers and take a whole ton of work load (as they should for that price), we have 2 2550's aswell, but don't touch those, they are slow, loud, old and cant handle much.

we have one 2600 aswell, its the replacement for the 2550 and is based on the same technology as the 5500's, just scaled down. quiet and reasonably fast, good printer!

the principal has a 3500, which is a larger version of the 2600

so yeah, we're hp based here.

for bw printers which take a lot of stick... 4250n!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Enzomatrx
    I am thinking it's a humidity/heat situation, and something in the Y/K reacts. Basically, we had our AC blow at our building a month ago, and they still haven't fixed it.
    There are fans in the room going, but they are not always going (teachers turn them off, etc.).
    And when I entered in the afternoon it was full of students and was a god-damn steambath.
    Ah yeah... based on the fun I've had with a couple of K550's in two schools with some interestingly high temps I'd be tempted to agree... The pigment black just doesn't like summer at all.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread