+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Multiple ePetitions: Ian Duncan Smith To Live On £53 A Week in General; Link 1: We the people challenge Ian Duncan Smith to live on £53 a week for one year. - e-petitions ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries

Multiple ePetitions: Ian Duncan Smith To Live On £53 A Week

Link 1: We the people challenge Ian Duncan Smith to live on £53 a week for one year. - e-petitions [Currently 53 signatures]

Link 2: Ian Duncan Smith: Live on £53 for one week - e-petitions [Currently 28 signatures]

Link 3: Iain Duncan Smith: Iain Duncan Smith to live on £53 a week [Change.ORG: Currently 197,107 signatures]

I must admit I would like to see if Mr Duncan Smith could indeed live on £7.50 a day.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Already signed all 3...would be interesting to see if he can back up his claims, however when he came out of the military in the 80's. he did survive on the dole (and back then there was no additional stuff like council tax benefit etc)

Thank Post
    I'd say any sensible person could do this for a week or two - its the protracted worry and misery over the longer timescale that makes it really hard (speaking as someone who was on the dole for 4 years in the 1980s) - once your clothes, shoes and appliances go west, you're really up s**t alley.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,939 Posts
    Which option is Iain Duncan-Smith going to choose though?

Mr Bennett was being slightly economical with the truth; as are the BBC—who have not altered their story as of 10pm today. There is, I think that you will agree, a considerable difference between these three options:

1. having £53 per week to pay for everything—including rent and bills;
    2. having £53 per week to pay for everything except rent;
    3. having £53 per week left after paying rent and bills.

The petition calls for Iain Duncan-Smith to go for Option 1—that is, to pay for everything with £53 per week.

Whereas the man who inspired the whole thing—David Bennett—actually lives on Option 3, i.e. that he has £53 per week after paying rent and bills (and what, exactly, is covered in "bills", e.g. is travel included?).

These are two very different propositions. (Source)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If it is option 3 £53 is enough for food.

If slashing benefits gets the lazy ones up and out to work i think its great.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What an utterly ridiculous story....

Why should Ian Duncan Smith (or any other person who has a job) live on that little? They are working!!!! contributing tax and getting nothing back from the state, just like all the rest of us. The story was about some market trader who reckoned he working 80hrs a week out of choice and didn't even make the minimum wage.

I read today that nearly a third of all the tax taken now goes on Benefits. Now thats madness!!!

Those petitions totally miss the point that the benefits system should be designed so it always pays to work.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post

I read today that nearly a third of all the tax taken now goes on Benefits. Now thats madness!!!
    Most of the benefits bill is pensions. I blame the old people. The miserable scroungers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,939 Posts
    It's all a bit of a farce (which is probably why the tabloids love it)!

Mr Bennett can't be that hard up otherwise he wouldn't have Sky TV, drink beer, play poker or visit the bookies.

'Welfare victim' who dared Iain Duncan Smith to live on £53 is a gambler « The Telegraph

David Bennett, 51, told the BBC he was struggling to survive after his housing benefit was cut, but it has emerged that the divorced father of two is a regular gambler who used part of an inheritance from his grandmother to play poker.

Mr Bennett had given an emotional interview on BBC Radio 4's Today programme saying he was a market trader working up to 70 hours a week whose money all went on rent and bills, adding that he was forced to borrow to survive and that he was no scrounger.

However, it has been revealed that Mr Bennett has accounts on poker websites and used some of his inheritance to gamble in December, the Daily Mail reported.

On his Twitter account, Mr Bennett's profile says 'Poker player, self-employed ducker and diver', although he changed this yesterday to 'Market trader', and adds that his hobbies are 'football, poker and beer'.

In February, he tweeted to two gambling tipsters saying: "Rough day today lads, gonna have to find your magic potion again soon." The previous month, he tweeted he had won an accumulator bet at odds of 28/1.
    Mr Bennett said he was paid housing benefit and working tax credit, and earned around £200 a month from his stall, giving him a total monthly income of £633, according to the Daily Mail.

He pays £400 in rent per month and around £176 in utility bills, but also pays for a landline, mobile phone and Sky with broadband, and claims his bills leave him with £23 a month, meaning a £10 bet would account for almost half of his monthly disposable income.

Mr Bennett said the "terrible" weather conditions meant he had only been able to work on his stall for 21 days so far this year - around seven days a month - despite selling cold weather gear including hats, gloves, scarves and duvets.

"It's been bad year, I used my money to invest in myself and I've found myself in a double dip recession," he said.

"I don't want to make this political, but the politicians are just rich Tory boys who don't live in the real world. They are hitting the people who don't vote for them."

In contrast, Mr Duncan Smith lives in a £2 million Tudor house on an estate in Buckinghamshire dubbed 'mini-Chequers', with a swimming pool and tennis courts.

Mr Duncan Smith said he lived on benefits himself after he left the Army and had a more recent taste of life on welfare when he briefly stayed on one of Britain's toughest housing estates for a Channel 4 documentary.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Petitions are pointless these days. "Waaah you must live on this paltry sum to prove a point!" "Waaah sack this person now!" "Waaah my video game doesn't work you must fix it!" "Waaah build a death star!"

Everyone's first response these days is to build a petition campaign and attempt trial by waves of pointless signatures backed by knee jerk reactions to half the facts. It's pathetic and buries the genuine petitions under a torrent of garbage and petty vendettas.

Now if you don't mind, I'm off to make a petition to ban E-Mail clients from displaying backgrounds and comic sans by default...

10. Thanks to CAM from:

DrCheese (3rd April 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    But it's ok though as Dave says we are all in this together [ after giving the higher earners tax breaks ]
    Looking forward to seeing IDS [ or his butler ] in poundland......

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm afraid I can't say anything constructive in this thread as it would involve a hell of a lot of expletives, I'd get banned, and the Police would probably come kicking my door down :-)

If they can successfully navigate the kerb outside my house, that is....

:-)

13. 2 Thanks to tech_guy:

basicchannel (3rd April 2013), mattx (3rd April 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    I'm afraid I can't say anything constructive in this thread as it would involve a hell of a lot of expletives, I'd get banned, and the Police would probably come kicking my door down :-)

If they can successfully navigate the kerb outside my house, that is....

:-)
    Thing is IDS and George ' I can't even fold towels ' Osbourne look so smug all the time. Smug because they are so out of touch with everything.

15. Thanks to mattx from:

tech_guy (3rd April 2013)

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And rich.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    What an utterly ridiculous story....

Why should Ian Duncan Smith (or any other person who has a job) live on that little? They are working!!!! contributing tax and getting nothing back from the state, just like all the rest of us. The story was about some market trader who reckoned he working 80hrs a week out of choice and didn't even make the minimum wage.

Those petitions totally miss the point that the benefits system should be designed so it always pays to work.
    This is exactly how I feel, having witnessed people in my life live on benefits with no interest in working I dont have a problem with the benfit system being seriously sorted out.

Thank Post
    I thought this article was interesting

David Miliband and the debasement of British politics | Aditya Chakrabortty | Comment is free | The Guardian

The disconnect of most politicians from those of us who live (for the main) in the "real world" is startling and depressing. Politics was messy and quite interesting until it was professionalised about 20 years ago. Party conferences were about influencing the policy and winning the debate actually mattered - now, mostly, they are a sales pitch for an already decided product. Even the Lib-Dems who still pay lip services to an internal democracy reckon they can just ignore the views of their members - and the politicians all say they are surprised that people don't want to get involved - though really of course that is what they want - then they can run run the country to suit themselves without bothering what irritating ordinary people want...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast