+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Leaving Virgin Media in General; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries

Leaving Virgin Media

I don't know how it happened, but the price of our subscription has crept up and up over the past year, even after I tried to keep costs down by slashing some 'features' last year. I am on the XL package with a Tivo box, but our latest bill came in at £72! And that was with an £8 loyalty discount each month, and we had only made £10 of calls! The iternet is supposed to be 60Mbps, but tbh, we only get between 20-40Mbps, which can be had from any half decent provider these days.
    This is getting to be stupid money and unless I can get them to reduce our package I now think it's time to move on. What makes it worse I think is that if you reduce your package you get less freeview HD channels! You know, the FREE ones of which there are now more than 40. Well Virgin let you have 6 on their lowest package. Nice.
    So, what I think is best is that we ditch Virgin all together and go for a freeview HD PVR (circa £200 for a 1TB twin tuner version) and a decent phone/adsl package (please feel free to recommend).
    If anyone here has downgraded their Virgin package or struck a deal please let me know how you got on because I've just had about enough of it now.
    What get's me though is that the price seems to be creeping ever upwards regardless of how much we used the phone and I've been with them for almost 10 years now but have never seen the price rise like this. In the space of 18 months I've gone from paying £45-£50 per month to the current level. Not happy at all really.

Thank Post
    I very much doubt that Virgin Media are charging those prices for new customers. Unfortunately, I can't check what prices they are charging because their website seems to be down (and that's on a Virgin Media connection!)

Anyway... The best thing to do is definitely call them up, tell them you've had enough and say you are leaving. They will put you through to Customer Retentions and offer you some lowered prices. The thing to do is NOT TO ACCEPT ANYTHING THEY OFFER! Be adamant that you want to cancel because you are sick and tired of being disrespected as a loyal customer in favour of new customers who get much better deals and that you will be signing up to Sky instead. They will eventually give in and tell you they will cancel your subscription in 30 days. It is during this time that you will receive a phone call from the "special" customer retentions team that offer the really good details. My brother managed to get 120Mbps Broadband and Unlimited Home Phone for £20/Month, but if you haggle harder, you'll get even better deals. Keep threatening them that you are about to go to Sky.

The important thing to remember is don't worry about them cutting you off. You have 30 days notice and even if they don't call you, call them back on the 22nd day and say you've changed your mind and that you want to cancel your disconnection. After a week or so, call them back and say you want to cancel again and repeat until they give you a decent offer, but in all honesty, they will probably call to offer you a deal within the first few days after you give notice.

3. Thanks to Zoom7000 from:

Dos_Box (28th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yep, I did exactly as above and got a call from the special team a few days before disconnection and bartered a much better deal.
    Also worth noting that if you are a VM customer they can throw some decent mobile deals at you as well if you are willing to barter.

5. Thanks to sparkeh from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Slightly off on a tangent...

I'm stuck with Virgin Media here (would like to change as their peek time throttling policies on an unlimited 60mpbs connection is a joke!). I had ADSL back when it was first launched - 256kbps connection, engineer had to visit to fit the filter - Anyway, shortly after switching to NTL as it was then I was rearranging the layout of the living room and thought I'd get rid of some messy wires. Thought I was pulling out a telephone extension socket; cut the main BT cable coming into the property at a point were it's now impossible to fit a new junction box without running new cable from the nearby poll, whoops! Don't fancy explaining that one to BT or paying out for a new cable run.

Back on topic: Yep, VM are quiet good at over charging and then offering discounts when you threaten to leave. Service is stilly sh*ty no matter how much you pay for it!

Thank Post
    I dont think that they have ever been the cheap option in the time I have had services with them be it NTL or VM as they now are.

I can remember getting it installed now almost 10 years ago in my first house when I was living alone and you had to buy their TV and phone services to get the cable broadband which ended up costing me a whopping £91 a month at the time for the first 6 months of that contract, at present I only have their 100meg broadband (I was on 50 before the "Free" upgrade at christmas) and I am paying £41 a month for that privilege at the moment.

I wont get TV with them after the whole "sky argument" debacle, which saw me and my wife unable to watch any of the programming that we enjoyed when they had an argument that time as all sky channels got pulled.

Thank Post
    We are with BT infinity2
    We have just got rid of the Sky box for a similar reason.
    We were going to buy the YouView box from Argos, but noticed that BT did an 'unlimited' deal of free box and unlimited of there subscriber channels )(movies,sports, etc) for £12.50 pm.
    Min 12 month contract. But if you cancel after that, the box has cost you a lot less then buying it from Argos etc.
    Alan

9. Thanks to salan from:

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    We left VM after 2 and a half year battle trying to get our ping and dl speed correct (was all on their side). Was on a 20mb conn and only getting 700kb/s :/

In the end, we got 6 months refunded and left VM in the middle of the contract.

With BT for about 2 years now, and what a difference! even if it is on ADSL lol

Thank Post
    I pay £55 a month to Sky for HD tv (no sports or movies), telephone line and 18mb broadband, suits me.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by salan View Post
    We are with BT infinity2
    We have just got rid of the Sky box for a similar reason.
    We were going to buy the YouView box from Argos, but noticed that BT did an 'unlimited' deal of free box and unlimited of there subscriber channels )(movies,sports, etc) for £12.50 pm.
    Min 12 month contract. But if you cancel after that, the box has cost you a lot less then buying it from Argos etc.
    Alan
    That sounds interesting. I can't find a link for that package though. I can find the broadband offers, but can't find the ones that combine with media packages. Any help?

Thank Post
    We have BB infinity2, free uk calls (all day) and unlimited tv
    Here is the link to the tv bit, but basically add the packages together.
    YouView packages | Get great TV packages from BT | BT YouView

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    I pay £55 a month to Sky for HD tv (no sports or movies), telephone line and 18mb broadband, suits me.
    I don't have sports or movies either, however it seems that with Virgin 'price-creep' has set in with the bill simply getting higher and higher for no obvious reason. TBH Dan, you seem to be paying rather a lot for your services too!

Thank Post
    Bin them! Sky ADSL is excellent, in fairness I can see the exchange from my living room window so I get a 19-21Mbps sync speed, but if you can get Infinity/Sky Fiber do so! It's not that expensive, there's no usage limits (if you pay for that) and in my experience the customer service is brilliant. If you aren't in a FTTC area though, you may be best sticking with VM for internet as ADSL can be quite poor at a distance from the exchange.

See if Freesat will offer what you are after, iirc you get more HD content through Freesat. Defo bin VM TV though it sucks. If you are going to pay for anything, go for Sky. The picture quality is better, the customer service (in my experience) is FAR superior and you get way more for your money than you do with Virgin.

Thank Post
    I spose it depends on what you want to watch - my VM package is £45/month and includes 60Meg BB, TV M+ (ie Freeview plus a few other bits and pieces) and unlimited phone calls - I do have to pay extras if calling mobile numbers - so try to avoid that - I do get a solid 60M though...which is nice...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I don't have sports or movies either, however it seems that with Virgin 'price-creep' has set in with the bill simply getting higher and higher for no obvious reason. TBH Dan, you seem to be paying rather a lot for your services too!
    You think? It's about £14 cheaper per month than when I was with BT for phone line, Plusnet for internetz and Sky for tv. HD pack on Sky is an extra £10 and I have all other channels, Docs, Music, Kids packages etc,

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've been having a look around and the combination of a service such as Plusnet Unlimited - Phone line + unlimited broadband (up to 76 Mbps) for about £25 per month and a Freeview/Freesat HD recorder may be the way ahead for us I think. We simply don't use the 'paid for' TV services enough to justify paying for it anymore.
    Incidentally, what gives the best picture/signal quality; Freeview HD or Freesat HD?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast