+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Leaving Virgin Media in General; ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    What makes it worse I think is that if you reduce your package you get less freeview HD channels! You know, the FREE ones of which there are now more than 40. Well Virgin let you have 6 on their lowest package. Nice.
    So, what I think is best is that we ditch Virgin all together and go for a freeview HD PVR (circa £200 for a 1TB twin tuner version) and a decent phone/adsl package (please feel free to recommend).
    I'm not sure where you get the figure of 40 HD channels on Freeview from, there are actually only 4 HD channels on Freeview (BBC1,2 ITV and C4) with the potential to launch a fifth once some politics is sorted, so those are all you would get with such a PVR.

Freesat only offers six free HD channels (the usual suspects plus two little watched international news channels). If having lots of HD channels is important to you, you're looking at Virgin or Sky, realistically.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,165 Times in 990 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    I'm not sure where you get the figure of 40 HD channels on Freeview from, there are actually only 4 HD channels on Freeview (BBC1,2 ITV and C4) with the potential to launch a fifth once some politics is sorted, so those are all you would get with such a PVR.

Freesat only offers six free HD channels (the usual suspects plus two little watched international news channels). If having lots of HD channels is important to you, you're looking at Virgin or Sky, realistically.
    My apologies, I've just checked and the Freeview HD page here: Freeview Channels | Freeview has lumped ALL freeview channels on their page. Crafty.

Thank Post
    Personally I don't think that freesat gives you many channels (not as many as freeview if you exclude the asian channels etc).
    Alan

Thank Post
    I've been having a look around and the combination of a service such as Plusnet Unlimited - Phone line + unlimited broadband (up to 76 Mbps) for about £25 per month and a Freeview/Freesat HD recorder may be the way ahead for us I think. We simply don't use the 'paid for' TV services enough to justify paying for it anymore.
    Incidentally, what gives the best picture/signal quality; Freeview HD or Freesat HD?
    As a side note @Dos_Box, if you do go down this route, let me refer you? You get no benefit I don't think, but I get a £1 a month or something stupid like that, off of my bill. ;-) Just have to give my Plusnet username when you sign up.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,165 Times in 990 Posts
    Blog Entries
    *UPDATE*
    There is an ISP in the EduGeek office block that does home directional wireless internet connectivity, and for £22 per month (I get a £5 pm discount) +£150 install I can have a small directional wireless receiver fitted and get 20 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up. Whilst the install may sound expensive, it is offset by the fact that as we will no longer have to pay line rental it will pay for itself as when we ditch Virgin we don't want another land line (why when we have mobiles?).
    The next decision is FreesatHD or FreeviewHD? Needless to say we shall be buying a recorder, so any recommendations would be much appreciated.
    Hopefully this will all be done by August if I can get a good box recommended. If it has all of the various catchup TV's etc. onboard that will put the cherry on the cake

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am with sky, I have the family discount, and I have everything but sports (as I get sports on my laptop with my various free german subscriptions courtesy of my mum paying for german satellite tv). I pay £40. I get 20mb broadband, (real speed is around 14mb), and unlimited uk landline and mobile calls.

I have no reason to change unless my relative leaves sky, however I agree the full price for the complete package is crazy! A good box is the humax HDR-1000S. 500GB, ilpayer, itvplayer, 4od and 5 on demand. 2 year warranty

Thank Post
    I don't think you get Dave or yesterday on freesat, but you do with freeview I think its something to do with a exclusive satellite deal with sky

Thank Post
    Well, I have been with VM for around 5yrs it went up in January and I have been paying £29pm for Virgin 10m Cable Broadband and purely on the strength of this thread I decided it was time to wise up and to cancel and switch to BT Infinity.
    My only real complaint about VM apart from the creeping price increases has been that I couldn't acutally watch an HD movie in full online as within 10-15 mins of the end the stupid throttling would kick in as I would have gone over quota!

If I went onto the MS Partner site and downloaded an ISO I would have to wait several hours before I can download another.
    Apart from this I have always been happy with VM especially as I run several SIP lines across it!

However, having eventually worked out the IVR system at the end of the VM 0845 number and reached cancellations I was promptly transferred onto the customer retention dept where a nice lady immediately offered me a 60Mb "Unlimited, Unrestricted" broadband service including a free "SuperHub" .... For £17.50 pm ! (60Mb XL should be £27.50)

So thanks for the inspiration to pick the phone up, its just what I needed to do and had been putting it off for months but it just goes to show how these ISPs will happily rip you off if you become complacent and stop chasing the best deal!
    Last edited by m25man; 25th May 2013 at 07:28 PM.

9. Thanks to m25man from:

jinnantonnixx (26th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've noticed price creep, too. I think I'll try my luck as you did.

Are they only available on an 0845 number? I don't have a landline and these numbers cost a fortune from a mobile.

Just checked, and 0845 from my SIP provider is 4.7p/min, which isn't too bad.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 26th May 2013 at 11:29 AM.

Thank Post
    ARGH don't get me started on the Virgin Media bills - we rarely use the phone and have a 30MB line package and the bills are rarely below £50 a month!! I don't even have TiVo - it's horrible! I want to change our supplier but Virgin are the only cable provider in our area until BT get around to installing infinity. When they do, we're swapping out faster than you can say 'Out of the frying pan into the fire'. Still better the devil you know and all that - Virgin are taking the P-155.

Thank Post
    FWIW I went from Humax freeview to Sky+HD at the behest of my F1-addicted wife. I still prefer the Humax box to the Sky+ box as a piece of kit, regardless of channels available.

Thank Post
    The next decision is FreesatHD or FreeviewHD? Needless to say we shall be buying a recorder, so any recommendations would be much appreciated.
    I have the older Humax FOXSAT-HDR Freesat+ 500GB. I find it a little sluggish in use but the quality of the broadcast and recorded programmes are excellent. The custom firmware has some nice features but again it all slugs along like moving through treacle. I'd expect the new units would be better - but worth checking them out in a shop if you can.

Thank Post
    There are some differences in the channels available on Freesat & Freeview, so have a look at their websites and see if there are channels which you'd want that are only available on one of them. Freeview will usually work fine with your existing TV aerial, sometimes in rubbish reception areas you'll need to replace it. Freesat obviously requires a satellite dish installing, if you've ever had Sky and still have their dish on your house then you can use that, but if it's old it may only have a single LNB on it, you really need a dual or quad LNB.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12