+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, North Korea - Digitally edited images? in General; Is This North Korean Hovercraft-Landing Photo Faked? - In Focus - The Atlantic Interesting post here by The Atlantic's In ...

Thank Post

North Korea - Digitally edited images?

Is This North Korean Hovercraft-Landing Photo Faked? - In Focus - The Atlantic

Interesting post here by The Atlantic's In Focus raising the possibility that some images have been digitally edited to show more landing hovercraft?

Thank Post
    They are crazy, it's quite scary. Although, the later picture of them on the beach implies they are all there.

I also saw today that 3g single for tourists have been cancelled, why?!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    As always, NK is all mouth, and no action.

If it dares attack the US, which it won't, but if it did, it'd be over in 3 days. However, if China intervenes, it's ww3.

Thank Post
    id honestly be more surprised if the photos werent doctored tbh

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    As always, NK is all mouth, and no action.

If it dares attack the US, which it won't, but if it did, it'd be over in 3 days. However, if China intervenes, it's ww3.
    There are some pretty good and serious discussions on this on The Army Rumour Service. The general consensus is that China won't allow N Korea to get that far. Whilst China is North Korea's best buddy, this is only so that the Chinese can keep a grip on them. The main problem is that no one wants NK. You have an entire population that has been brainwashed over 60 years to such an extent that it will take a couple of generations to sort out when the time comes. S Korea doesn't want unification as they saw what happened to West Germany when the wall came down. It crippled them financially for 20 years, and that is something the south really doesn't want.
    China can also well do without several million refugees heading over it's southern borders. Best guess is that should the north try anything you could expect a regime change in Pyongyang pretty quickly.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    Because the Leader of our glorious Peoples Army has said so!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    I'm sorry, but I have to ask; what?!

I've read that sentence about a dozen times trying to make sense of it and now feel like I'm going insane

Thank Post
    I think he means "service" not "single" - up until pretty recently tourists could use their smartphone to roam onto the DPRK mobile network for 3G internet access. They've inexplicably stopped that now though.

10. Thanks to Sdrawkcab from:

LosOjos (27th March 2013)

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I'm sorry, but I have to ask; what?!

I've read that sentence about a dozen times trying to make sense of it and now feel like I'm going insane
    LMFAO! +1 to that

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    I think he means "service" not "single" - up until pretty recently tourists could use their smartphone to roam onto the DPRK mobile network for 3G internet access. They've inexplicably stopped that now though.
    That makes sense! I thought I had gone insane

No surprise that they've blocked 3G for tourists - the only way they could know you're a tourist is by identifying the network you are on, so theoretically I could go to North Korea with a pocket full of SIM cards, dish them out and give a load of North Koreans access to the Internet - unfiltered! They can't be having that!

Every time the subject of North Korea comes up, I go back to the first time I used Google Earth and was panning around amazed that I could look at any place on Earth, then I hovered over North Korea... eery.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It isn't really inexplicable is it though? They're putting themselves on a supposed war footing... So they want any foreigners to be as restricted as possible to prevent any possible breaches of security.

Thank Post
    I think he meant signal.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Every time the subject of North Korea comes up, I go back to the first time I used Google Earth and was panning around amazed that I could look at any place on Earth, then I hovered over North Korea... eery.
    Install this North Korean Economy Watch » North Korea Uncovered – (Google Earth) and enjoy looking at all the prison camps! In some places they've even used actual aerial photos in place of Google Earth as Google didn't take high-resolution images of most of NK. The thing I found most staggering about all this was the huge amount of propaganda all over the place. I mean, I was expecting a fair bit but it seems to be literally everywhere there! I don't think you could do a journey from one location to another without reading "Give Thanks To The Glorious Revolutionary Leaders!" in one form or another.

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    It isn't really inexplicable is it though? They're putting themselves on a supposed war footing... So they want any foreigners to be as restricted as possible to prevent any possible breaches of security.
    You are right, inexplicably probably wasn't the right word to use here. "Confusingly" is probably the right word. In internal DPRK propaganda , the country is always portrayed as being on war footing. Their media constantly talks about the threat of the American Imperialist, and they talk about the South Korean government like the war there is still ongoing. It's not a "new" thing for the DPRK to feature extensive aggressive rhetoric in their external propaganda too. 3G service for tourists was in place when they very nearly were at war after they shelled that SK island, so why would they switch it off now? More to the point, why would they invest so much in getting 3G coverage for the country only to prevent anyone from using it? (I suspect there is a simple answer to this one: It's North Korea)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The war is still going on with South Korea, the north only declared an armistice and not all out peace.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast