+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, DSLR Help in General; Have you looked at Paint.net ? @ mattx im interested in learning Photoshop as well can I have a PM?...

Thank Post
    Have you looked at Paint.net?

@mattx im interested in learning Photoshop as well can I have a PM?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    Have you looked at Paint.net?
    Paint.NET is good, but a little basic - GIMP is rather more fully-featured, and actually very easy to use these days. I used it a few years ago and found it a bit clunky (in the end I wound up buying Adobe Photoshop Elements for home use), but I've just started using the latest version again for some photo retouching for end-of-term stuff and it's working really well.

For camera equipment, I find a monopod in addition to a tripod comes in really handy, as well as a shutter release cable. You can put the camera on the monopod, attach the remote release cable, and raise the camera well above head-height if you're standing behind a crowd of people. A standard grey reference card is handy, too, for colour balancing purposes.

3. Thanks to dhicks from:

RabbieBurns (24th March 2013)

Thank Post
    i loved my 40D now got the 50D

i take it you have already found the canon forums?

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

5. Thanks to woodham from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil-Millgate View Post
    To be fair, with the helicopter ride, stick it in auto and let it do the work. You just focus on composition of the shots. You will enjoy the flight a lot more and getting composition right is more important early on than learning about f stops and dof.
    Shooting through the perspex window was a bit of a challenge as well!

DSLR Help-527569_10151354363781003_1578129236_n.jpg DSLR Help-544211_10151354366311003_1190622590_n.jpgDSLR Help-531501_10151354369281003_844315392_n.jpg DSLR Help-479999_10151354367811003_897445301_n.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSLR Help-img_4814.jpg  

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MYK-IT View Post
    If you havenít got the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 mkii Lens already, get it! You wonít be disappointment. Fantastic lens for the money. About £99 new, or £50-60 second hand.
    Just had a look at the camera to see how a lense would fit on, and it seems the 50mm lens is already attached. I just thought it was part of the camera

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    IS this a better camera than the EOS 40D ?

Canon 18MP Camera

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post

Canon 18MP Camera
    not enough to upgrade from imo id go for a 650 does hd video

11. Thanks to sted from:

Thank Post

Canon 18MP Camera
    Its not always about megapixels. The EOS40 (and 50D) are great cameras and would recommend so much. The 5xx and 6xx series are not a match on build quality of the EOS50D with its magnesium body; not this plastic stuff. OK the newer ones have higher megapixel which helps with cropping photos afterwards, and HD video capability.

Then as you upgrade you have to take into account the crop frame factors across the models (1.6x, 1.3x and 1x Full Frame) as they may affect what lens you can use effectively.

But just take it one step at a time. I'm only 7 months into my first DSLR, EOS 50D with 24-105mm F4 L IS Lens and I've only reached amateur status!!

If, and when you are ready to upgrade, personally I would go with a EOS 7D (body only) unless you have some serious amount of cash under your pillow for a 5 series. And don't be afraid to buy second hand, as long as your do your research beforehand and source from reputable sources. This is when you support your local camera shop, they may not be the cheapest but their knowledge and support is priceless. I know my local camera shop really look after you, not like other electrical high street stores where they are only interested in flogging their product of the week, or their insurance coverplan.

As with most hobbies, prepare for your wallet to be well used!!

13. Thanks to MYK-IT from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MYK-IT View Post
    If, and when you are ready to upgrade, personally I would go with a EOS 7D (body only) unless you have some serious amount of cash under your pillow for a 5 series. And don't be afraid to buy second hand, as long as your do your research beforehand and source from reputable sources. This is when you support your local camera shop, they may not be the cheapest but their knowledge and support is priceless. I know my local camera shop really look after you, not like other electrical high street stores where they are only interested in flogging their product of the week, or their insurance coverplan.
    Just a couple of points. Rather than a jump from 7D to 5 Series, there is the 6D. It is a full frame camera, and is still sold as a current model by Canon. It is priced nicely in the middle between the 7D and the 5D Mk III.

However, a super high quality body is almost entirely pointless unless you have decent lenses. Even on a cheap 650D or similar you can get amazing shots so long as you have decent glass to take them through.

I've got a 500D which I managed to pick up for £150 last year at one of those cash converter type places, I have it coupled with an 'ok' lens and it has served me well. I really want to save up for one of these to go with it though - http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/...2p8_is_usm_c16
    Last edited by localzuk; 24th March 2013 at 05:18 PM.

15. Thanks to localzuk from:

Thank Post
    Yes, good point about the Lens.
    Some people can't cope with the concept that the camera body is the cheapest item to purchase!!!

The L series are fantastic, but you can still have all the gear, and have no idea! I know that, but you only improve by just experimenting and learning. Luckily you don't have to send negatives off the Max Speilman anymore, and wait for the photographs to get posted back before you find out if it was a bad shot or not.

17. Thanks to MYK-IT from:

Thank Post
    As others have said, I wouldn't bother upgrading a 40d - it's a great camera, and the best time to upgrade is when you find that the camera body is what's stopping you from getting the shots you want.

It'll probably take a while to get to that stage too... and it really does depend on what sort of photography you do as to what you should upgrade to.
    For example, if you like sports/wildlife photography than the 7d is a great upgrade, the crop sensor means that it gives you a bit more range over a full-frame body (that 1.6x factor!) and it's got great Auto-Focus and a very high burst rate (how many shots it can take in one "burst").
    If you're more keen on low-light or portrait photography, for example, then you'd probably be better off going full-frame with a 5d of some sort... the bigger sensor lets more light in, so, generally speaking, you'll get better low-light performance which is useful or just generally because more light = faster shutter speeds = lower ISO = better images.

I'm speaking very generally here and obviously there are exceptions...

Oh, yes... I forgot to say... good glass is very very important. You wouldn't want a Bugatti Veyron running on ling-long ditchfinders, would you?
    Last edited by pantscat; 25th March 2013 at 10:16 AM.

19. Thanks to pantscat from:

RabbieBurns (25th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ive ordered the collins textbook previously mentioned in this thread so will work through that and hopefully take some better shots soon

Thank Post
    Shooting through the perspex window was a bit of a challenge as well!
    A polarising filter is a good piece of kit to have in your bag. It will help cut down or even eliminate reflections from glass or water. They're also good for landscapes helping to saturate colour and cut through haze.

I can only echo comments on quality glass and number of pixels. My old D60 (not to be confused with the 60D [*1]) was a mere 6.3 MP but still takes stunning pictures quite capable of being blown up to A1 without fuss. I doubt anyone can tell them apart from prints shot on my 5D MkII.

[*1] But it *is* confusing - thanks very much Canon.

22. Thanks to pcstru from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    BTW, if you do decide to sign up for flickr (despite it's age, I still think it's the best photo sharing site...), then feel free to add me as a contact (Flickr: Josh_Wolf's Photostream) and I'll happily help you out with specific advise on your own shots or pointers on how I got my own shots if you see anything you'd like to try in my stream

24. Thanks to LosOjos from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast