+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Network cabel installation at home in General; My desktop PC is connected to my router in the front room via N-Range wireless, but I'm tempted to get ...

Thank Post

Network cabel installation at home

My desktop PC is connected to my router in the front room via N-Range wireless, but I'm tempted to get a network cable down. The question is, I'm not sure how best to lay it so it's hidden and out of the way. I live in the middle of a three story flat so don't have floorboards to feed the cable under. The wife has also stressed that she does not want to see the cable tacked along the top of the skirting board, or those "ugly" plastic cable holders, so I'm running out of ideas of how best to get the cable down.

I've tried Ethernet power adapters before but found them next to useless even though the wiring is only 5 years old. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Floor-plan:

Network cabel installation at home-layout.jpg

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    You may be better off trying another wireless adapter first and if possible, move your router as high up as possible. Changing the channel it broadcasts on can also make all the difference too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Do you have skirting boards? You could see if you have enough space behind them to hide the wire. I've done it with speaker cable but never anything as thick as Cat5...

Also consider your reasons for wanting a wired connection. If your wireless connection is reliable then the only benefit to a wired connection would be increased bandwidth, which in turn is only useful if you access files on your main PC from other devices on the network. Don't make more work for yourself just for the sake of having a physical connection
    Last edited by LosOjos; 18th March 2013 at 03:00 PM.

4. Thanks to LosOjos from:

Rawns (18th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    In saying that, if ever you decorate in future I would recommend installing Ethernet cabling. Smart TVs are all the rage and work better than with a wireless connection.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 1,414 Posts
    If you have white skirting you could top it with some trunking from the d-line range?

Ben

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    @Rawns

Not a hard job to be quite honest.

As Los said, skirting boards are the way, it just depends on the thickness. I've faced this situation, and here's what i did.

Ripped off the skirting boards, checked the thickness of the board against the cat5, slowly, cut out a trench within the board. This can be done with a chisel or if you don't have one, a straight screwdriver (would not recommend). Cat5 needs to be either LIGHTLY tacked or taped onto the board and with a steady hand + ear put back against the wall. DO NOT push the board too fast, you need to hear for a slight tkkk sound (meaning the cat5 is touching the wall). If you've done it right, it should sit perfectly and you will not be able to tell the difference. If i'm quite honest, this will take you in excess of 2 days, with a lot of patience required.

Alternative method done by a family member + me helping him. Behind the plaster, but that's if you can't find a solution any other way.

Got loads of other ideas, but this is the simplest. Holla if you'd like more advice.

Sunny

Edit: You could also cut out a trench within the wall, CAREFULLY, DO NOT HIT ANY ELECTRIC CABLES! and line it up along there. Skirting board right over and jobs a gooden. That'll take about a day if you're quick and accurate.

It's an easy job, stop stressing
    Last edited by Sunnyknight; 18th March 2013 at 03:14 PM.

8. Thanks to Sunnyknight from:

Rawns (18th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Oddly that's exactly the same room layout as the flat I used to live in.
    I did as everyone else has suggested and ran Cat5 behind the skiring boards following the layout attached. I did do it at the same time as removing the skirtings to fit hardwood flooring though, so it wasn't a big job given that I was removing skirtings anyway.
    Network cabel installation at home-layout.jpg

Matt

10. Thanks to saundersmatt from:

Rawns (18th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Do you have skirting boards? You could see if you have enough space behind them to hide the wire. I've done it with speaker cable but never anything as thick as Cat5...

Also consider your reasons for wanting a wired connection. If your wireless connection is reliable then the only benefit to a wired connection would be increased bandwidth, which in turn is only useful if you access files on your main PC from other devices on the network. Don't make more work for yourself just for the sake of having a physical connection
    Exactly that. The wireless connection is fine and I have no problems with it. Average connection is 180-200Mbps? Thing is, next to the router is my media center and NAS. The reason behind a wired connection is transfer speeds between PC and NAS. I play a lot of PC games online too and can't help but think that a wired connection will help just that little bit more.

Thank Post
    Not a hard job just rip off all your skirting board - haha lol

Ben

13. 2 Thanks to plexer:

Rawns (18th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Annoyingly, the front room was only decorated 6 months ago. I like the idea of tucking the skirting board in the skirting board but can't help but think it's a bit OTT for installing a single Cat5 cable (however if it was being removed, I would totally do that at the same time).

Wonder if pinning it around the outside wall would work? Thats how the Sky dish went up. (Dish round the back where the PC is, cable around the outside wall and in by the router...

Maybe I'll just stick with the Wi-Fi connection. I'm hoping we wont being the flat too much longer so will work it into the plan of DIY in our next place.

Thank Post
    If you got some exterior grade black cat5 then you could do it that way.

Ben

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    @Rawns

Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    I like the idea of tucking the skirting board in the skirting board
    What? lol

Outside wall would look, not very nice (just being honest). Taking off skirting boards isn't hard, i don't understand why you think it's OTT. It's a simple days job. It's the trenching that takes the time and planning. Either way, it's the neatest, which is what i believe you're looking for.

Sunny

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    What? lol
    Thinking and typing two different things I think: I like the idea of tucking the cable in the skirting board!

Outside wall would look, not very nice (just being honest). Taking off skirting boards isn't hard, i don't understand why you think it's OTT. It's a simple days job. It's the trenching that takes the time and planning. Either way, it's the neatest, which is what i believe you're looking for.

Sunny
    True, our block of flats is similar to this:

Network cabel installation at home-barratt-homes-west-midlands_1235_19355106_1_0_7041164_300320x320.jpg

Being in the middle flat, the front room has the yellow cladding on it, and the brick wall is on the bedroom front. When we had Sky installed, we had a choice of black or white cable. The white blends in nicely on the beige cladding and stands out a mile on the dark bricks, and vice versa with the black cable. Maybe best to avoid a second cable on the front of the house.

When I say OTT, I mean in the context of my wi-fi existing connection being acceptable, can I really be arsed to move all the furniture in the front room, remove the skirting boards, chisel canals out for the cable to go in, lay the cable, put the skirting back on the walls, move the furniture back, and then repeat the process all over again in the bedroom and then the spare room for what will be an small gain with transferring files from my NAS to PC. I agree it does sound the neatest option and something I will do when we move into a bigger place, but I think for the moment I'll just remain happy with the wireless connection I have.

Thank Post
    I ran a run (hmm) of CAT5e externally, this over a few years denatured and failed. *IF* you do go external, use the right cable and/or trunking.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    Taking off skirting boards isn't hard, i don't understand why you think it's OTT. It's a simple days job. It's the trenching that takes the time and planning. Either way, it's the neatest, which is what i believe you're looking for.

Sunny
    Depends on the age of the house and how the skirting board has been fixed tbh.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast