+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Steve Walsh 30 England 3 in General; Nice one Steve. Drunk again ? Certainly by some of the decisions you made in this game. Shocking does not ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Steve Walsh 30 England 3

Nice one Steve. Drunk again ? Certainly by some of the decisions you made in this game.
    Shocking does not come close.
    Don't mind getting beat fair and square this was a joke from start to finish.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/rugby/52001...-england-wales

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_W...gby_referee%29
    Last edited by mattx; 16th March 2013 at 09:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,878 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am appalled by some of his decisions...if a person is physically pinned down of course it is bloody impossible to roll away...but no...the welsh played to the ref and it paid off. At half time England looked so poor even without the decisions...but I think this sums it up nicely

3. Thanks to nephilim from:

rich_tech (17th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    I don't agree, but even if you reversed these decisions, Wales would still have won. England played like amateurs, however you look at it.
    And implying that Steve Walsh won the game for Wales is just sour grapes. Whatever you think of some of his behaviour, Wales wiped the floor with England.
    Last edited by witch; 16th March 2013 at 10:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No denying England were not on form (the tries were well deserved by Wales)...but the decisions were nothing short of shocking!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh come on you sore losers. Get a grip. You lost. Deal with it. Walsh was consistent with his decisions.

Teams pay people to study the ref. England didn't do that very well. Wales have had issues with Walsh before as well.

It was a damn good game of rugby. You cannot blame the ref for England only scoring 3 points. You have to blame poor England who were outplayed and outclassed.

Rant over. Get over it.

Gareth

7. 2 Thanks to garethedmondson:

ButterflyMoon (20th March 2013), witch (16th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Walsh's past looking after England games is easy to investigate however I agree that they did not play well.
    I had to laugh at two penalty shouts for England which had to be asked for by the english players. Walsh is not fit to ref any game. He is a joke and a disgrace to the sport.
    Already banned by the NZ Rugby board, he then turns up pi55ed to a conference and beause he can't ref games in NZ he becomes an Aussie !! The only reason he continues to ref games is because of a lack of proper Rugby Refs. Don't mind getting beat, but hate getting beat by a ref that should be no where near a rugby field.
    Last edited by mattx; 16th March 2013 at 10:49 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Having been at Twickenham to see probably the most boring match ever where England failed to turn up against Italy, I was totally unsurprised by today's result.

Wales got two good tries. They played like they wanted to win. They deserved to win.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Having been at Twickenham to see probably the most boring match ever where England failed to turn up against Italy, I was totally unsurprised by today's result.

Wales got two good tries. They played like they wanted to win. They deserved to win.
    This^^^

However, what people don't realise is both English and Welsh RFU's both appealed against having Walsh ref the game, however IRB turned the appeals down. Walsh is a universally disliked ref...even in Australia he is disliked at club and national level (he is not allowed to ref in Championship games (formerly tri-nations) because of his bust ups with South Africa and New Zealand.

Thank Post
    As a Geordie I support England.

As a Walters - I support Wales

win -win for me

Those welsh drives were great (as was the english defending)

If you listened to Brian Moore (a poacher turned gamekeeper ), he said it was all part of the game and that the Welsh pack won the day for their team.

Those tries wern't due to any refereeing - they were just good tries (especially the 2nd one with that last pass)

Ireland/Italy was good to watch as well

Nice afternoon of qualilty entertainment

Rugby Internationals are the best showcase for how professional sport should be played and refereed - if you don't like the decisions of the ref- put yourself in the sin bin for 10 mins
    Simon

Thank Post
    Steve Walsh did make some strange decisions (telling Tom Youngs if he moved again he would penalise him - WTF?) but ultimately Wales played very well and we were awful. They deserved to win and they deserved to win by the margin they did.

Thank Post
    The best team won. We were completely outplayed in every meaningful aspect of the game. There were some odd decisions given in favour of the home side, but that should not detract from the point that we were out-gunned for the majority of the game. Wales were patient and the additional experience was a telling factor. We should not overlook the fact that almost all the England subs were actually first choice last season, and this new young side will only improve. We have a few weaknesses which need to be addressed, and I don't believe Lancaster should continue to play two 'crash' centres. Overall, England did take a step forward this tournament, but Saturday was a reminder as to how much further we need to go.

Thank Post
    I'm English. My wife and the in-laws (huge rugby fans) are Welsh. Either way, my team won.

Thank Post
    I've been trying hard to resist having my say about the game on Saturday, but I can't resist anymore.

Blame the English rugby media. Everything I heard and read gave the impression that all England had to do was turn-up, pick up the 6N Trophy, complete a Grand Slam and go home again, job done.

What on earth made you all think you were going to come to the Millenium and walk away with a Grand Slam? Wales had one bad half against Ireland, then three AWAY wins. How easily everyone forgot, that but for a moment of tackling madness, Wales would have been in the World Cup final last time round.

As for refereeing decisions, the scrum is a dangerous part of the game. Players have suffered broken collar-bones, broken necks, paralysing injuries and some have even died. Brian Moore's lucky, it never happened to him. That's how he's able to sit in a commentary box, deriding referees who have a responsibility and a duty of care to the players to ensure the scrums are set properly and contested fairly.

As @garethedmondson said 'Get over it'.

Go and listen to Ian Robinson's 'Johnny Wilkinson drops for World Cup glory' radio clip for a couple of hours. You'll be fine.

THE NEWSDESK: Spot the brutal and intimidating Welshmen - and one happy pundit (From South Wales Argus)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    deriding referees who have a responsibility and a duty of care to the players to ensure the scrums are set properly and contested fairly.
    Whenever I've listened to Brian Moore or read his comments it is precisely this that he complains about. There are laws about binding on the shirt not the arm, pushing before the ball's in, putting the ball down the centre, ect. that are routinely ignored at the top level. Also, as he did actually play in the front row, not just in the scrum, I believe he at least speaks from experience.

As I said, England were awful and although there were some strange decisions at the scrum they did not affect the outcome.

Thank Post
    No one with any sort of balanced view on the game of rugby even had England as the favourites. The media love to build up to knock down - it's their own internal private sport.

I take Earthling's view on the scrum, but the referee was not consistent, some of his 'lying on the ball' decisions were ridiculous, but frankly those two areas are the two most likely to be subjective and therefore always open to dispute. In my opinion the rule changers have made a shambles of rules over the past few years, and so people will be hesitant before making yet more, but they need to revisit those two areas in particular. If even hardened scrummagers disagree then it leaves it too open. I'm not in favour of so many scrum-based penalties, and wasn't even when England's scrum were dominating others.

England fans need to remember that this is a young, relatively inexperienced team, and a Grand Slam was always going to be a step too far too early. Wales are the best team in the northern hemisphere when they are able to field their best side, and England need to focus on the positives, but react to the areas of weakness. We are lacking when we go forward, and that is mostly due to the lack of creativity in the centre and the fact that Ashton has, like Cohen did, bulked up too much and has lost his snap - along with his 'League' tackling, though he was never that good at it even then. There are some good forwards out there, a fine squad in general, but Twelvetrees has to play in place of one of the centres and we need to find a replacement for Ashton. It's going the right way and this mauling should not detract from that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast