+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Is it just me!?!?! in General; Yup, you have missed the point I reckon... Its for charity. Plus, its fun. (EDIT: This is aimed at those ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,611 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yup, you have missed the point I reckon... Its for charity. Plus, its fun. (EDIT: This is aimed at those complaining about the cake bits...)

Encouraging children to be charitable is a good thing, even if it means you're out of pocket doing it.

It is a balance though, between doing it too much and too little.
    @AMLightfoot - I know what you mean. The old PTA here took 5 years to save up half the money for a mini-bus. They disbanded last year, and a new 'Friends of' group set up. In that year, they have raised enough money to buy a mini-bus completely. Plus they don't have monthly 5 hour meetings to discuss things. There are only a few of them so they call around, agree on something and do it. Some PTAs have lost sight of what they're there for I think!
    Last edited by localzuk; 15th March 2013 at 12:54 PM.

DT2
    Lakeville, Carleton County, New Brunswick
    Thank Post
    It's a very odd school.... But I guess we're still getting used to the different schooling system here.
    Amelia returned home with a literacy assessment yesterday, simple question sheet, multiple choice. She got 5/5 on the first section and was graded a C, yet for the second section she scored 4/5 and was graded a B. Go figure!
    They're mad as a box of frogs. Though I have found it to be very clicky, the children who's parents make huge donations of money and time are quite clearly better catered for....
    Little do they know I have the handle on their expected donation of laptops this year.......

Don't even get me started on cake sales.... my dad used to say; even dick turpin wore a mask!!! Robbery I tell you!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Yup, you have missed the point I reckon... Its for charity. Plus, its fun. (EDIT: This is aimed at those complaining about the cake bits...)

Encouraging children to be charitable is a good thing, even if it means you're out of pocket doing it.

It is a balance though, between doing it too much and too little.
    The problem is not giving to charity, of course it's good to teach children to be charitable, it is the frequency with which they hold these events and the nature of them that strong arms you in to contributing for fear of your little one getting bullied by the other kids.

Times are tough right now. I know I'm not at all in a unique position of my partner being made redundant and I too will find out next week if I have a job. There are many families just like ours out there right now. So when we get letters home every week telling us about the next round of fleecing "for charity" (9 times out of 10, it's for the school fund) it's tough. Right now, we can't afford to be dishing out an average of £20 a month, that's a couple of days food our family could have and may well need soon.

I'm all for charity, but not when it risks depriving my family of basic needs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    The problem is not giving to charity, of course it's good to teach children to be charitable, it is the frequency with which they hold these events and the nature of them that strong arms you in to contributing for fear of your little one getting bullied by the other kids.

Times are tough right now. I know I'm not at all in a unique position of my partner being made redundant and I too will find out next week if I have a job. There are many families just like ours out there right now. So when we get letters home every week telling us about the next round of fleecing "for charity" (9 times out of 10, it's for the school fund) it's tough. Right now, we can't afford to be dishing out an average of £20 a month, that's a couple of days food our family could have and may well need soon.

I'm all for charity, but not when it risks depriving my family of basic needs.
    When I was at school there were charity events almost every other week - non-uniform days were the worst. Not only do you have to PAY to come in 'normal clothes' but if you don't have much money and can't afford brand name clothes, you risk getting belittled by your peers for your unfashionable clothes. I hated non-uniform days more than any other charity event as I would usually not have fashionable clothes as my parents couldn't afford to buy me 'United colours of Benetton' jumpers and stuff from River Island. I got things from MarkOne and NewLook if I was lucky. Eventually I started 'forgetting' about non-uniform day (I rigorously endorse school uniforms) then I just out and out refused to participate - it was less hurtful for people to make fun of me for wearing my school uniform than it was to make fun of me for not having expensive outfits. At least in school uniform it was the same uniform I wore every other day so they couldn't mock me for it being unfashionable or cheap (yeah our outfitters were not cheap in the slightest) - the best they could do was to mock me for being a sad case in school uniform which was nothing new.

I think if schools focussed less on arranging faffy 'events' and more on educating, we might not be turning out such a cohort of dipsticks...

5. 2 Thanks to AMLightfoot:

DT2 (15th March 2013), LosOjos (15th March 2013)

DT2
    Lakeville, Carleton County, New Brunswick
    Thank Post
    I was never much the target of bullies, especially after the first to try took a wooden science stool to the cranium
    I suspect my little mites have developed the same intolerance for bullying.... Harry might only be small, but he's built like a brick outhouse and doesn't take no messing, especially where it involves his sisters.
    Here in the sticks, expensive or fashionable clothing is not so much of a concern, and I like that. I like that here everyone knows everyone and they all look out for each other. Yes they talk funny and wear camo to school, but it's better than the school they went to back in England.
    Still school "charity" is ok, when it's every now and then, but when it's every week and you're selling stuff I bought back to me at hiked prices, and then complain you have no money to replace the gym equipment..... come on, pull the other one!
    I'm not against charity, I'm not against helping out the school, but seriously spending $100 per child for all their supplies at the beginning of the year only to have them taken from them is a joke. I buy them for use by my children......
    that's like me stealing your wallet and selling it back to you at an unreasonable margin... you'd have me arrested.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12