+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, What was the first 'modern' smartphone? in General; Originally Posted by Dos_Box Sony lock you into a technology that on-one else uses? Who'd thought it?! Apple?! lol...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Sony lock you into a technology that on-one else uses? Who'd thought it?!
    Apple?! lol

Thank Post
    I was thinking along the lines of the O2 XDA as well

Thank Post
    would of been a phone released in the Japanese Market we never seen over here.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Something from the Nokia N Series? Nokia Nseries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia 2005

Thank Post
    the HTC TyTN? HTC TyTN - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had the TyTN 2

Thank Post
    It makes it a hell of a lot easier to use though This is why I am pointing out (one more) the 'modern' aspect of smartphones. If someone said they were going to issue you with a smartphone and you got one without a touch screen you'd be a bit miffed.
    It does baffle me as to why it took RIM so long to release one!
    My first question would be 'Does it have a keyboard'. I do an awful lot of writing on my Blackberry, and the thought of typing like a 4-year old and relying on predictive text to correct my fingerslips, as opposed to being able to churn out lots of WPM, brings me out in a cold sweat. Don't see what the fuss is about touchscreens. I do accept I'm probably not a typical phone user.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was going to include GPS as a feature but it was still a novelty in many phones until a few years ago. Anyway, over to you guys. Lets see what you can come up with and don't hesitate to suggest new criteria (please note it must be a universal criteria and not a feature that favours a single manufacturer/product).
    Okay, in an attempt to save a little face (I forgot totally about the XDA, and tbh hadn't really heard of HTC until they started releasing Android phones)

Aren't a number of these sensors like GPS, motion and accelerometer a key feature "modern" smartphones. Some of my most used apps include Sat Nav and a cycle computer. I think there's an argument that a modern smartphone is more than a mobile with a built in PDA, or a PDA with a built in phone; which is what most of the earlier devices really where. I'd also continue the argument to suggest that perhaps 3G and a modern web browser is an important part of the spec.

(yes, Apple fanboy finding any excuse to discredit true pioneers )

Thank Post
    The Nokia N95 was the first phone I really WANTED. Came out in 2007, supported web browsing with flash support. Bluetooth, wifi, GPS, 5MPx Rear camera a CIF front camera, wireless podcasts downloading, accelerometer. It also offered wifi hotspot.

This at the same time the iphone had no app store or even MMS with Rubbish bluetooth 1.0, a weedy speaker and a rubbish 2Mpx camera.

EDIT: I bought the iphone a year later.
    Last edited by chazzy2501; 15th March 2013 at 09:36 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    The Nokia N95 was the first phone I really WANTED. Came out in 2007, supported web browsing with flash support. Bluetooth, wifi, GPS, 5MPx Rear camera a CIF front camera, wireless podcasts downloading, accelerometer. It also offered wifi hotspot.

This at the same time the iphone had no app store or even MMS with Rubbish bluetooth 1.0, a weedy speaker and a rubbish 2Mpx camera.
    We've just replaced my wife's N95. By the end it had become such a mess to use. Just setting up 3G on Vodafone was a half hour job. It may have been cutting edge when released, but was unusable by time we retired it. She'd on Android now and loves it!
    Part of the problem was that developers abandoned it for the iPhone and Android once their stores got up and running, and the apps that were available were not the best to begin with.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,968 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Able to access the Internet via a system other than wi-fi/bluetooth/tethering i.e WAP/3G
    I don't think anything that used WAP to access the Internet could be classed as modern.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,968 Times in 2,183 Posts

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No touchscreen or Wifi but I had a HTC SPVC500 which was rock solid hardware and did all sorts of stuff it took the iPhone years to catch up to. It even survived being dropped in a basin full of water while I was on a call.

I also had a HTC P9090 that did all those things at around the same time.

This was a looong time before the IPhone ever existed, June 29, 2007, the latter had 3G, a browser - several in fact and did MMS, had extendable memory etc. etc. Even many years later when I was just using it as a mobile media player (playing Xvid - something the iPhone still does not do) I had people asking what it was because it was doing stuff they did not think a phone could do.

When the iPhone came out and all the iSheep were bleating about how revolutionary their little false idols were I did wonder what kind of brain damage they had suffered as I had had those features for literally years.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123