+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Renting a place in General; The rent can usually be negotiated down by at least 10%. I would never pay what they ask. Every month ...
    zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The rent can usually be negotiated down by at least 10%. I would never pay what they ask.

Every month they have it empty is worth 10% to them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post

Does this seem expensive to people?
    That would be cheap to normal for Birmingham, considering its a band C property and fully furnished.
    Use Righmove or Zoopla to search the area and see what others are like for the same money.

Thank Post
    Just been to see a flat.. £525 per month. To start off with, for that price i would get washer, fridge freezer, table and chairs, sofa and chair, coffee table, 2 bedrooms, located on the second floor (top) bath/shower (seperate), builtin wardrobes, electric hob and cooker. The only thing is this place has storage heaters. I was wondering how much it would cost to run the storage heaters as there is no gas to this place and it is situated next to the railway lines.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    Just been to see a flat.. £525 per month. To start off with, for that price i would get washer, fridge freezer, table and chairs, sofa and chair, coffee table, 2 bedrooms, located on the second floor (top) bath/shower (seperate), builtin wardrobes, electric hob and cooker. The only thing is this place has storage heaters. I was wondering how much it would cost to run the storage heaters as there is no gas to this place and it is situated next to the railway lines.
    Storage heaters are a crock. Electricity is only going to get more expensive as the Renewables Directive and the shutdown of our coal-fired power stations begins to bite. The flat seems to be all-electric, which means you might see a doubling of your bill over a 10-year period. GFCH really is the only way to travel. With storage heaters you'll be cold all winter, and you living in the Northlands, I don't reckon the winters end until about June.
    Also, by the railway lines? Mmmm. I would avoid if you can. I suppose it depends on your budget. How much does the £650 a month stretch you? I think that the house is a better option because it'll be quieter and more private but it depends on your funds.
    A couple of thoughts about renting a house (which I did for nearly 8 years while saving to buy):
    What does the contract say about maintenance? Is there a specified contractor for work? Get to know your letting agent. Take a look online at other houses which have been let through that agent, and go round to the houses and take a look at the outsides. Are the gutters in good order, the window sills painted and clean, the lawns mown, the brickwork in good condition? If this is the case, then the agent probably keeps the landlord on their toes with regard to maintenance.
    Check your contract to ensure that there are response times (SLA's basically) for fixing of stuff like electrical, gas problems. Our landlord had a British Gas 3* contract. See if the landlord will include something like that in the contract because that means you are independent of them for major faults which could leave you without hot water or power.
    Never accept a verbal agreement. Written down and witnessed is the only way to go.
    It isn't always good to have a fully-furnished place. The landlord will have bought the cheapest stuff they can find and they'll charge you over the odds to replace it.

IMO, anyway.

Thank Post
    Well i guess i have biten the bullet and decided to rent a 125 year old house, made of stone which has had a complete refurb to to. Im talking, new electrics, new carpets throughout, new UPVC windows, new electric fire with new mantal piece, new kitchen with new electric hob, oven and extractor fan, new combi boiler, new bathroom with wetroom tiles, new power shower (hope thats not going to be expensive to run), mew loft ladder, loft to be boarded out with i think if we meed to, loft insulation. They are providing curtains and freezer and a drivr to be completed for 2 cars. All this for 450 a month.

Thank Post
    What's the neighbourhood like? Are you likely to find cars parked in your spaces. Does nextdoor have teenage kids with drumkits? Is it on the main route from town to the estates?

Thank Post
    The neighbourhood seems fine and quiet, its not too far from where im living now. The parking is to the rear of the house within the grounds of the house, its a patio leading down slightly to a drive way. The neighbours, to the left (if you are looking at the house) is an elderdly couple and to the right is a quite family with a couple of young kids. The route is on a quite road leading through the village with the occassional bus passing.

Thank Post
    Sounds like a bargain! A power shower shouldn't be at all bad to run - well, unless you like to spend half an hour (plus) in there.

Thank Post
    made of stone
    Good thinking. That third pig got it right.

Thank Post
    Last edited by Mullaney18; 26th March 2013 at 12:41 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the links, but im just going through the credit check stage at the moment, fingers crossed. Oh, ive found out the place has no phone line and the quickest speed providers can give me is 1mbps however on an adsl2 connection, they can up it to a whole 2.5mbps. I have the option of fibre but im against paying £35 a month for it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12