+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, microsoft antivirus for my domain (confused!) in General; Could some explain what I need to setup microsofts enterprise antivirus on my domain? I know that I'm entitled to ...
    Thank Post

microsoft antivirus for my domain (confused!)

Could some explain what I need to setup microsofts enterprise antivirus on my domain? I know that I'm entitled to use it for my workstations but am unclear what I download. how I deploy (wsus?) how I manage it and what my servers need? Oh and do I need a seperate exchange one? Whats the software called? forefront client security, forefront endpoint2010?

What do licences do I purchase for my servers 12x standard servers mix of 2003 to 2012 one running standard exchange 2007.

{RANT}I'm fed up of asking M$ cause all I get is cloud features in system centre 2012 and other rubbish that doesn't tell me the basics.{Double RANT!} Do I need that on every server or just one! Does it manage or actually antivirus the server?!!

Confused!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Microsoft's antivirus client is called either ForeFront Endpoint Protection or System Center Endpoint Protection. Both products are largely identical, it's just that they've moved it from the ForeFront family to the System Center one instead.

If you have an EES license with MS, you should be licensed to run FEP/SCEP. Both will run on servers and workstations. If you want an Exchange or other server production specific plugin (e.g. SharePoint), you'll have to look elsewhere as Microsoft don't provide a product to do this any more.

Officially, both products are managed and deployed through System Center Configuration Manager. However, with FEP at least, you can manage the thing using just GPOs and deploy it with a startup script, there are posts elsewhere on here on how to do this. If you do use SCCM to manage it, you will probably find it a little simpler to deploy and manage and SCCM will give you all sorts of pretty reports as to what it's doing and where it is.

They can update themselves from SCCM, WSUS or from Microsoft Update.

In my MVLS, they show up as Microsoft ForeFront Endpoint Protection with Update Rollup 1 and System Center Endpoint Protection with Service Pack 1 respectively.

3. Thanks to Norphy from:

chazzy2501 (11th March 2013)

Thank Post
    So I run system center endpoint on all my clients and servers and I need one server to manage. This server would have the SCCM service installed. My EES licence covers my workstations and servers for endpoint protection? Do I just purchase one copy of SCCM to manage everything?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just a word of warning on SCEP. I have a System Center Config Man server setup in a VM, largely sitting idle while I config and ready for eventual roll out. It's using 9Gb/16Gb ram - just idling! A Hungry beast indeed. Use Forefront 2010 unless you need/want to use all the features of SCCM.

As for licencing, so long as you subscribe to EES you are fully covered to run a SCCM server to manage this, no extra licensing required. Outside of EES you just need to purchase client management licenses for each desktop. There are no server licenses unless you want to install the client on a server.

If you want to install the forefront AV client or SCCM client on servers - then you'd need a server ML for each server you want to install the client on.
    Last edited by tmcd35; 11th March 2013 at 02:27 PM.

6. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

chazzy2501 (11th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Just a word of warning on SCEP. I have a System Center Config Man server setup in a VM, largely sitting idle while I config and ready for eventual roll out. It's using 9Gb/16Gb ram - just idling! A Hungry beast indeed. Use Forefront 2010 unless you need/want to use all the features of SCCM.
    That will be SQL doing that. My default SQL will gobble the RAM and try to store the whole database in the RAM. You can limit the amount of RAM SQL uses and it will fix the issue.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As for licencing, so long as you subscribe to EES you are fully covered to run a SCCM server to manage this, no extra licensing required. Outside of EES you just need to purchase client management licenses for each desktop. There are no server licenses unless you want to install the client on a server
    That is incorrect. You get SCCM CALs under the EES, yes but you don't get the server component automatically. You will have to buy the server component separately. It's not expensive, something like £300 for that and the SQL license but it's an extra cost to take into account.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    That is incorrect. You get SCCM CALs under the EES, yes but you don't get the server component automatically. You will have to buy the server component separately. It's not expensive, something like £300 for that and the SQL license but it's an extra cost to take into account.
    No, it's not - see repeated threads on SCCM licensing and Microsoft's own FAQ on the subject. System Center is licensed per managed end device only. The rights to run the managing server software is included in the end client device licenses. And that include the right to run the required SQL server. Server licenses are only required for servers being managed by one of the SC components.

Admittedly this is a new chance for SC2012 - so if you're licensed the old way under SC 2007/2010 then I can see where the confusion is coming from.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread