+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Does updating Phone firmware void warrenty? in General; I've got a problem with my phone which has come to light because I can't send or recieve picture messages ...

Thank Post

Does updating Phone firmware void warrenty?

I've got a problem with my phone which has come to light because I can't send or recieve picture messages and as a result I'm taking it back to the shop. I'm on contract and the phone is a few months old and I've also recently had problems connecting to our wifi which has been recently updated and from what I've read it is a know problem that some android phones have (but no clear indication why). There are no more official updates for the phone and I haven't rooted it as the existing ROM seemed to work well. I'm currently running 4.0.3 which from what I've read can have some "issues"

I have read there is an official firmware update which I can install on my phone, but if I install it and still have the problem with sending & recieiving picture messages, I assume they will want to look at the phone at which point if I have installed an updated firmware will they try and say I have voided the warrenty? I assume not as it's official but I just wanted to check.

Thank Post
    I would say that if you are in doubt, take it back to the shop. If they want to send it away and update the firmware then let them.

3. Thanks to Danp from:

penfold (8th March 2013)

Thank Post
    This is what I will most likely do, but as it means I'll be without a phone I had hoped that I could solve the problem myself. The picture messaging problem came with en error "service not actibated on network" which as far as I can see means the network operator need to allow the service. Although they have told me it is activated, I'm not sure as my SIM didn't work on another phone either. I was hoping to upgrade the android version and wondered about the warrently if I chose upgrade firmware etc. I assume so long as any updates are official & from the manufacturer the phone should still be covered by the warrenty.

Thank Post
    I've had my phone (Galaxy SII) repaired under warranty with updated firmware before, in fact the tech asked if I'd tried updating the firmware before bringing it to them is it may resolve the issue. I suspect this only applies to manufacturer released firmware updates though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    I can't send or recieve picture messages
    Obviously you have checked you have the right APN settings, right?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Manufacter or Operator supplied firmware updates are fine (Either OTA or via iTunes, Samsung KIES, etc). 3rd party firmware will void your warranty (Custom ROMs, Jailbreaking iPhones,etc). If you can remove the custom rom and restore the phone back to stock before returning it for warranty repair there shouldn't be any arguments though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Obviously you have checked you have the right APN settings, right?
    I went into the shop at the weekend and they checked my account which showed there was a bar on the service required for sending/recieving picture messages. They were supposed to have re-activated it but it could take up to 24 hours. I still cant access the service so I will need to go in again now

I also asked about updating firmware and they said it was fine for me to do so. If I get time today I'm going to look at updating the firmware as I think it is supposed to fix a couple of other issues.

Thank Post
    I ran a firmware update on my HTC and it boned the phone over. Contacted HTC and got it fixed under warranty - so I'd say yes, but that depends on the manufacturer of your phone.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    @penfold vodafone?

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    @penfold vodafone?

Ben
    Yes, do you know of problems?

Thank Post
    @plexer how did you know it was vodafone? I spoke to 1 person on via their chat facility who told me my account wasn't the problem, but when I went into the shop I was told there was a bar on the service. If you could share any experience of a similar problem it would be good so I can go and see them with more information than I did last time. I don't really want to walk away from there with the same problem.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    When I got my Galaxy S on vodafone I had no end of issues receiving picture messages, it would tell me there was one available and it would try to download but the vast majority of the time would fail to d/l it.

I once got fed up and rang them only to be told their system was down at the time.

I had a Nokia 5800 on the same contract/sim before and never had this issue.

Since moving to Orange and a Galaxy Note I've not had this problem.

Ben

Thank Post
    I've got 2 phones with vodafone (1 mine 1 is the wifes) taken out at the same time and she hasn't had a problem. For some reason it just looks like they have barred the service on my phone. While it wasn't a big deal (as I've had the phone 4 months without really noticing it) I'm getting a few picture messages sent to me and I can't see them now, it's starting to get a tad annoying.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread