+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Car insurance for teen in General; ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    You then discovered a whole in your wallet from the repair bills

Rob
    I think you're mistaking the Xantia and XM for some other tat :P
    Very little problems out of the ordinary, all fully galvanized properly so no show stopping rust, cheap parts, looovely comfortable suspension which just needs a bit of understanding (£25/corner for spheres, takes all of 15 mins with the right tools to replace each). Legendary French XUD diesel engines. Ended up selling the Xantia at 220,000 miles. The XM is still going strong at 200,000. They are VERY well kept secrets let me tell you!

Thank Post
    I did PassPlus back in the day when I was a new driver and it helped with the insurance but I don't think it's as effective now - it's better from a personal confidence point of view. It might be worth looking at one of these insurance policies where named drivers earn NCDs and insure your son/daughter as a named driver on a sensible family vehicle. These 'black box' schemes are good for new drivers but I wouldn't want one in my car so I'd only have one fitted if the car was specifically his/hers.

I've seen comments in other threads (possibly) saying that the more of a certain type of car there are on the road, the more accidents occur statistically where that car type is involved so the premiums are higher. Age and value of the car are key as are engine size so if you are in the position to help buy the car you might want to look at something old, small engined and cheap but not overly common. Fiat Panda perhaps lol. If the sproglets don't like it, they can fund it themselves lol. Any car is better than no car tbh.

Thank Post
    He is happy to drive the Fiat Panda we have, they are really nice to drive actually. He was looking at VW golf's but now he just wants to get mobile.

Thank Post
    Sadly it seems the whole insurance scam gets no better until, at least in my case, I hit 30!

Last year it went up, to £790 - I hit 30, £330 for the same car and mileage. I'm no better driver, seems I just hit the milestone they arbitrary set.

The black box policies do seem good and they "should" encourage better habits too

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,410 Times in 1,167 Posts
    Adding a female teacher, even unrelated used to make a big difference, but possibly not that much to a teenager, and of course you'd only do it if that person is actually going to drive it a bit.
    Not sure what will happen now with the anti-sexism rule.
    Changing job, on any named driver can make a difference, Cheap Car Insurance Job Picker: tweaking your job title can make your car insurance cheaper
    p.s. Full disclosure: sorry if i duplicated advice, i didn't read the previous posts ;P

6. Thanks to vikpaw from:

AMLightfoot (11th March 2013)

Thank Post
    As mentioned look at cars which aren't generally boy racer cars. My first car was a Calibra 2.0l and my 2nd a MR2 mk2 t-bar 2.0l. OK the calibra is a bit chav but no where near as much so as a corsa, fiesta, clio, etc - or at least not according to the insurance companies.

IME chav factor far out weights insurance group or engine size.

1st year calibra - £800
    2nd year MR2 - £750
    3rd year modified (coilovers) MR2 - £400
    4th year MR2 - £330

since then it has been steadily going up!!

Strangely the modified insurance was cheaper than I could get normal insurance.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 9th March 2013 at 11:21 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,977 Times in 1,447 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Volvo S40 - s reg or earlier...cheapest car to insure for a 17 year old (in my area). Might be worth a look.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Volvo S40 - s reg or earlier...cheapest car to insure for a 17 year old (in my area). Might be worth a look.
    My old V40 1.8 cost the same to insure as My current 3.0 V6 Jaguar s-type, and had very similar MPG

Rob

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not sure if it is MPG they look for. My friends brother is 17, he got fully comp insurance on an S Reg Volvo S40 (in one of the worst postcodes in the uk for car crime), for £1700 a year.

Thank Post
    Get an old car like a Fiesta. Admiral are good insurers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Basically all hot hatches are insurers dreams because they are chav-mobiles!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Adding a female teacher, even unrelated used to make a big difference, but possibly not that much to a teenager, and of course you'd only do it if that person is actually going to drive it a bit.
    Not sure what will happen now with the anti-sexism rule.
    Changing job, on any named driver can make a difference, Cheap Car Insurance Job Picker: tweaking your job title can make your car insurance cheaper
    p.s. Full disclosure: sorry if i duplicated advice, i didn't read the previous posts ;P
    Interesting that you mention that as LeBoyfriend works for a well known South coast car dealership, but he's in an admin/customer service role, not an active car role like a technician (mechanic) or sales but if we put him down as working in the motor industry the insurance companies aren't interested in the slightest that he has nothing whatsoever to do with cars or the fact that he's covered under the site insurance policy should he need to drive a customer car for whatever reason so we put him down as 'Customer Service'. Since he only takes my car to work when it needs work doing, it's covered under the site insurance anyway - he certainly never takes it just for commuting. It seems ludicrous to me that this should even be a consideration - especially with site and business insurance covering cars that go into dealerships. It's crazy. The whole industry is legalised fraud IMO.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    The whole industry is legalised fraud IMO.
    Its not as if you can even protest by not buying insurance........

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,410 Times in 1,167 Posts
    No but try to make a claim and they'll be passing the buck to the other insurer in a heartbeat.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123