+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Car insurance for teen in General; Originally Posted by elsiegee40 Some insurers give benefits for pass plus, some don't. It's still worth doing for the motorway ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Some insurers give benefits for pass plus, some don't. It's still worth doing for the motorway training alone.

If insuring a teenager's own car, it's worth putting a parent on the policy too as it helps reduce the premium, I'm told.
    It certainly did with me, the car was in my own name and I was the main driver but my mum and dad were on the policy and it brought it down, and ironically it had that positive until I was about 23 and then it makes no difference so I put them on then they are fully covered rather than reliant on 3rd party coverage from there own insurance policy.
    Last edited by john; 11th March 2013 at 07:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    For my first year I was a named driver on a policy. I think they're more strict on that now though...
    now illegal - I would make sure you put it in your sons name as it then reduces massivly. My first year i was paying £160 a month and then the second year it dropped a lot.

Also look at Admira/Elephant (they are the same company) they do 10 month policys which although you pay a little premium you build NCB quicker.

Thank Post
    for myself im 21 a learner own my own car Nissan pixo and my insurance is 65 a month with me as named driver mum and dad on aswell but as its a small car that's only a 1lt engine (hit a ton on the motorway the other day :P) and the tax is only 20 for the year

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,529 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As others have said cheap slow car doesn't mean cheap insurance. I used to have a 1.2 Corsa SXI. I have since changed that for a new VW 2.0 GT TDI Golf for 6 times the value of the Corsa and my insurance are down a good amount.

Thank Post
    I am 19 and drive a 2010 2.0 Scirocco. I pay £2000 for 10 months. I paid even more with my previous car which was a MINI Cooper S. Gotta ... stop .... buying ... fast ... cars.

Thank Post
    I passed 11 years ago and have never paid more than £850 a year. I took the Pass Plus test within a month of getting my full licence, at the time it cost me £125 but knocked £350 off the cost of my first years insurance.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    I passed 11 years ago and have never paid more than £850 a year. I took the Pass Plus test within a month of getting my full licence, at the time it cost me £125 but knocked £350 off the cost of my first years insurance.
    When I passed, 7 years ago I did pass plus, it knocked £12 off a £2000 quote (which was the cheapest offer I got)... Not worth it nowadays!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bushby View Post
    (hit a ton on the motorway the other day
    Well blow me; I wonder why kids have to pay the earth for insurance?

9. 2 Thanks to Andrew_C:

mats (8th March 2013), Tech1 (12th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,297 Times in 1,696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom_ View Post
    When I passed, 7 years ago I did pass plus, it knocked £12 off a £2000 quote (which was the cheapest offer I got)... Not worth it nowadays!
    Like I said, Pass Plus is worth it for the motorway training alone. It's valuable post-test experience. You don't do it straight after your test, the instructor should do it about 3 months after passing so the new driver has had chance to drive independently first.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Like I said, Pass Plus is worth it for the motorway training alone. It's valuable post-test experience. You don't do it straight after your test, the instructor should do it about 3 months after passing so the new driver has had chance to drive independently first.
    Missed your comment - I didn't mean it wasn't worth doing, I just meant if you're doing it to knock a lump off your insurance it isn't worth it. The motorway training was handy!

Thank Post
    Unless you go for the blackbox option, 'cheap insurance' doesn't exist for us teenies

Try out of the ordinary cars as well as small tortoise-engine cars, you'll find that some bigger/less common cars can sometimes be cheaper to insure. It's just a case of having a lonnnng shop around have you tried LV? They've always been the best deal for my insurance quotes.
    Last edited by Fleetwood; 8th March 2013 at 09:30 AM.

Thank Post
    I sold my 2000 1ltr Corsa to buy a 1997 Citroen Xantia 1.9 Turbo Diesel when I was 18, I bought the Xantia for less than I sold the Corsa for and had extra luxuries such as air con, electric windows, ABS, hydraulic suspension, heated electric mirrors, better crash protection, towbar, 5 doors, big boot...the list goes on and it was a bit cheaper than the Corsa to insure!
    It wasn't long after than I discovered I could insure a the daddy executive Citroen of the 90s for an extra £100/year so I bought a Citroen XM too!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by samba_man View Post
    I sold my 2000 1ltr Corsa to buy a 1997 Citroen Xantia 1.9 Turbo Diesel when I was 18, I bought the Xantia for less than I sold the Corsa for and had extra luxuries such as air con, electric windows, ABS, hydraulic suspension, heated electric mirrors, better crash protection, towbar, 5 doors, big boot...the list goes on and it was a bit cheaper than the Corsa to insure!
    It wasn't long after than I discovered I could insure a the daddy executive Citroen of the 90s for an extra £100/year so I bought a Citroen XM too!
    You then discovered a whole in your wallet from the repair bills

Rob

Thank Post
    Interesting, I didn't realize you could reduce it by having a parent as a named driver. We were thinking of putting him through the pass plus too for several reasons but it would seem only some insurers give lower premiums for that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Firstly, make sure you and your partner are added, that will help reduce the cost
    We found the company we were already with - Admiral - the most helpful and the cheapest but things have changed in the insurance industry, I know.

*Found this: Top 10 Car Insurance for Teenagers UK - Cheap Teenage & First Time Quotes
    +1 for Admiral, especially with the multi-car policy, if you have him/her as only named driver and either yourself or the other half as main driver, it will reduce it massively

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast