+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Which Android Phone? in General; ...
    Thank Post
    Nexus 4 for me as well. IPhone 4 and me have parted ways.

LG Nexus 4 Black on T-mobile T Mobile £26 Full Monty 24 months with Delivery <-- I got mine from here. Delivered in three days and came in on Saturday before 09:00.
    500 mins, unlimited text and data and free LG Nexus 4 @ £26pm. If you do Quidco you can also get a potentional £40 back as well.

Thank Post
    That's a good deal. Best I have found is the HTC One for £79.99 and a £26 a month deal with same as yours. The more I see leaked stuff about the G4 the more I am edging towards that.

Thank Post
    Why buy a Nexus 4 on a contract?

£279 outright, Giffgaff sim card at £12 a month, go.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rickjames View Post

In my case, contract was cheaper.

(12 * 24) + 280 = £568 TCO; (15.50 * 24) + 105 on o2 = £477 TCO. That only worked because of the offer, mind, but you can't just assume buying it from Google and sticking a SIM in is cheapest (it's certainly not quickest)

Thank Post
    Been well and truly put off Samsung by the Galaxy S2 that I still have until contract is up in Dec. Even on power saving mode with all 3g, wireless, bluetooth turned off its still dead by the time I get home. I am not on it all day or anything like it but barely getting 9hrs out of a full charge!

I quite fancy an HTC Win8 phone next.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 828 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil-Millgate View Post
    Been well and truly put off Samsung by the Galaxy S2 that I still have until contract is up in Dec. Even on power saving mode with all 3g, wireless, bluetooth turned off its still dead by the time I get home. I am not on it all day or anything like it but barely getting 9hrs out of a full charge!

I quite fancy an HTC Win8 phone next.....
    That's a shame, the S3 is great! Battery quite happily lasts me all day and half way in to the next with quite heavy usage, which is good for a smartphone in my experience. I've found with all smartphones that data connections are a massive drain on the battery though - all depends how often apps update and how many of those kinds of apps you have. I only really have my email sync every 30 minutes, anything else is "on demand" (don't see the point in anything else updating itself while I'm not looking at it!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rickjames View Post

Perhaps some of us have not got £279 to spend outright. GiffNaff is pap around here as well.

Thank Post
    I just opted for a Samsung Galaxy S3. Perhaps I could get a better deal if I waited till the S4 was out, but I have seen and used an S3 and I can't say I would really need what the S4 has to offer (more power). I have an HTC Desire S at the moment. It had a few issues right from early on with just switching off randomly. Also when I received an update from HTC at one point, it made the phone very crash prone and it was constantly resetting itself. Ended up putting a custom rom on it in the end, which you shouldn't really have to do.

So I'd be unlikely to go for HTC again given the problems with this one. I just have to start stretching my hand using a house brick now, ready for the massive S3.

Thank Post
    Love my Nexus 4, would suggest it to anyone looking for a new phone. I did have battery issues with it before (would only last 12ish hours - 3hrs screen time) but since the 4.2.2 update I now regularly get 23 hours with 3-4 hours screen time. This is a mixture of wifi connected and 3G. If I am in a poor signal area with no wifi it drops to around 19hrs, with 2-3 screen time.

I got my first major dent in it last week (had it since being of December), dropped it from around 5ft onto rough tarmac, there is a little chunk missing from the bottom left of the bezel now, but no other damage to the phone or glass! This is without a case too by the way.

Mine is from the play store, so don't know deals on it just now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Modey View Post
    I just opted for a Samsung Galaxy S3. Perhaps I could get a better deal if I waited till the S4 was out, but I have seen and used an S3 and I can't say I would really need what the S4 has to offer (more power). I have an HTC Desire S at the moment. It had a few issues right from early on with just switching off randomly. Also when I received an update from HTC at one point, it made the phone very crash prone and it was constantly resetting itself. Ended up putting a custom rom on it in the end, which you shouldn't really have to do.

So I'd be unlikely to go for HTC again given the problems with this one. I just have to start stretching my hand using a house brick now, ready for the massive S3.
    how did you get on with the custom rom and which one as my pos desire s reboots randomly and has bluetooth issues (thinks its connected to my car when the cars miles away and off) ditto wouldnt have another htc and tbh when contracts up im seriously looking win8 / nokia brick as 3g never works when you need it so why not have a phone with decent battery life

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    how did you get on with the custom rom and which one as my pos desire s reboots randomly and has bluetooth issues (thinks its connected to my car when the cars miles away and off) ditto wouldnt have another htc and tbh when contracts up im seriously looking win8 / nokia brick as 3g never works when you need it so why not have a phone with decent battery life
    Hi Sted,

As far as I can tell (I did this several months ago) it's the Fallout ROM V4.3.0 which is based on ICS 4.0.3. I didn't have to root the phone as there is a way of doing this 'officially' but it does require quite a few steps and a bit of faffing.

This article describes the process I think :- Update HTC Desire S with Fallout ROM ICS 4.0.3 Android custom ROM Firmware

The only problems I had after putting it on was with the camera. A bit flakey and it will sometimes just drop back to the home screen. Everything else was fine and the phone was very stable for everything else, and doesn't ever seem to crash.

edit: There are probably better ROMS out for it now, no doubt based on Jelly Bean. Might be worth looking for those.
    Last edited by Modey; 5th March 2013 at 02:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Modey View Post
    Hi Sted,

As far as I can tell (I did this several months ago) it's the Fallout ROM V4.3.0 which is based on ICS 4.0.3. I didn't have to root the phone as there is a way of doing this 'officially' but it does require quite a few steps and a bit of faffing.

This article describes the process I think :- Update HTC Desire S with Fallout ROM ICS 4.0.3 Android custom ROM Firmware

The only problems I had after putting it on was with the camera. A bit flakey and it will sometimes just drop back to the home screen. Everything else was fine and the phone was very stable for everything else, and doesn't ever seem to crash.

edit: There are probably better ROMS out for it now, no doubt based on Jelly Bean. Might be worth looking for those.
    honestly id prefer to go back to gingerbread than up to jellybean its on ics (htc rom) now and its worse than before

Thank Post
    Looks like its going to have to be the Samsung S4 for me when it's out next month

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    Looks like its going to have to be the Samsung S4 for me when it's out next month
    yeah i'm due for new phone in May, might have to settle on an S3 though, S4 might be a bit pricey!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    yeah i'm due for new phone in May, might have to settle on an S3 though, S4 might be a bit pricey!
    Always deals to be made, as I order 2 at a time I can normally beat them up on pricing.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast