+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Beef/Horse meat & DNA testing non-meat products? in General; Our Tesco stocks sausages made from local pork and made in the processing factory down the road, pig goes in, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,449 Posts
    Our Tesco stocks sausages made from local pork and made in the processing factory down the road, pig goes in, sausages come out.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Never buy cheap sausages. They are mostly filler for one, lack any flavour for another, and aren't worth the money.

Butchers are the best source for sausages. If not there, then the finest range from Co-op are pretty good.
    as a rule baring the odd pack hotdogs i dont

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    as a rule baring the odd pack hotdogs i dont
    Yeah, there's no such thing as a high quality hot dog, but that's fine - you know what you're getting with them, lol.

Thank Post
    We buy the 'Black Farmer' range of sausages in asda. They are the best I've ever tasted and that includes the ones we bought from a local butcher. 98% meat. They are lovely.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,382 Times in 1,676 Posts
    The drug issue is a red-herring anyway - the chances of enough "bute" being in the meat to cause issues is remote. It is used on humans too - In the UK it is used to treat ankylosing spondylitis, but only when other therapies are unsuitable. It is only dangerous in large doses, and anyway, what about all the antibiotics and hormones that can be present in meat?
    The main issue is the fact that something was in the meat that shouldn't be - and I would like to know that the testing is going to be stepped up on other things such as chicken or pork ready-meals.
    Some manufacturers get away with saying "processed in the UK" but this doesn't mean it is UK meat.
    I know Irish beef may be problematic at the moment but if a company like Macdonalds can state that it only uses British and Irish beef - despite their burgers being pretty cheap - then why can't others?
    Although the supermarkets and companies are to blame, the consumer who wants ever cheaper food is also at fault. We eat entirely too much meat anyway, I'm sure others of my generation can remember our mothers managing to feed a family on a lot less meat than we use now. We should be eating less meat of better, and probably more expensive, quality.

Thank Post
    As a child in the 50s & 60s I can remember huge joints of meat on Sunday, followed by serving it cold on Monday & minced/casseroled on Tuesday...... we don't have joints like that these days.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    As a child in the 50s & 60s I can remember huge joints of meat on Sunday, followed by serving it cold on Monday & minced/casseroled on Tuesday...... we don't have joints like that these days.
    Our Sunday joint lasts a couple of days... Unless it's truly huge, it doesn't usually make it to day 3, but that's something to do with having a teenage son!

Thank Post
    I can sympathise. If I recall correctly Teenage children = bottomless food pit & bottomless money pit..... & they still cost when they are in their 30s.....

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew_91090 View Post
    Can I ask, is everyone here completely appalled by the whole horse meat scandal?

I mean hasn't it apparently been going on for nearly 14 years and no harm has come of it and it still tastes exactly the same.
    If you ask me, I couldn't really care that much, I think the only benefit from this whole thing is that supermarkets are going to start using English based companies for meat now (although that may bump the prices up a bit)

P.S - This is isn't a question to cause arguments, just asking for opinions
    For me the issue is about consent, not content. While there's nothing wrong with Horsemeat, if you order beef you should get beef. If you order pork you should get pork, and so-on.

If people start thinking a bit more about what they eat and start to wonder what's really in those burgers at 8 for £1 and so-on, that's a good thing really.
    Last edited by Roberto; 28th February 2013 at 11:30 AM.

Thank Post
    It's getting worse!

Google Translate

Thank Post
    Well it just got worse in our household.
    This morning the other half found a probably dead, maybe just in deep hibernation due to the cold, exotic looking spider and egg sac attached to a cluster of Red grapes we bought from Tesco's on Sunday.
    As the grapes are imprted from Peru I don't hold out much hope that it's a local creep.
    I would provide a picture but her survival instinct borne of EXTREME arachnaphobia kicked in and the critter was verily crushed into an unrecognisable mush by the immediate and repeated application of a big cold firm grape.
    it was about the size of a 50p piece and pale coloured, so not a black widow at least.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caffrey View Post
    It's getting worse!

Google Translate
    Their quality control really is sh..
    Last edited by LeMarchand; 5th March 2013 at 12:12 PM. Reason: typo

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCondon View Post
    This morning the other half found a probably dead, maybe just in deep hibernation due to the cold, exotic looking spider and egg sac attached to a cluster of Red grapes we bought from Tesco's on Sunday.
    Bah, that's nothing new. They call it 'natural pest control', and they say they don't want to use pesticides.
    Although there have been reports of either live black windows, or black widows that were alive at the time (due to the presence of large amounts of webbing)
    I would've thought they'd have sorted it by now. Was a good few months ago I saw a report about it for the first time.

Thank Post
    Well the event obviosuly sparked a bit of immediate research on my part this morning.

Lots of reports going back to at least 2002. One of which was a Daily Fail article about the aforementioned "natural pest control", Tesco have obviously denied it.
    It must be cheaper to buy grapes grown in southern Europe rather than Amazonian South America!! or at least, it ought to be
    Perhaps the whole Horse meat thing (which Tesco have responded too with a pledge to "buy British" more) may put all this global food distribution into a clearer light.

Offending pack of grapes has been disposed of.. They offered a refund if I could take them to the store. It'll cost £3 to get there and the grapes are only worth £4...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCondon View Post
    It must be cheaper to buy grapes grown in southern Europe rather than Amazonian South America!! or at least, it ought to be
    Ought to be. But presumably each vendor doesn't sell at the same ratio. Their South America supplier might be £2 per Kilo, as a plucked-out-of-thin-air example, whereas the EU seller might sell them at £3 per Kilo. If the transport cost is less than £1 per Kilo, they buy from SA. Which I don't like, but as a typical Brit, I just grumble a little and go about my daily business anyway.

Should we not assume profit was the driving factor, Amazonian grapes may be better quality than the EU grapes. Or the EU grapes may be unavailable because they're all sold off to cheap wine vendors that bulk-buy grapes instead of growing them themselves.
    Pretty sure it's all about the profit, though.
    Last edited by Garacesh; 5th March 2013 at 12:30 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast