+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Beef/Horse meat & DNA testing non-meat products? in General; Originally Posted by AMLightfoot I'm glad I'm not the only one not gasping and covering my mouth in horror - ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one not gasping and covering my mouth in horror - I was beginning to think I was going to have to fake it. I'm certainly not appalled - I'm not even surprised if you want the truth. A little disappointed perhaps that quality control is so poor that this was not picked up earlier, but as I cook all my food from scratch using raw ingredients and rarely buy frozen ready meals with beef in I can't say it impacts greatly on my shopping choices. I think I'd be more concerned if we started seeing contamination of fresh meat like Mince and Steak. Even the idea of having unknowingly eaten Horse doesn't even bother me that much and I think if someone served a horse steak and offered me a try I'd probably try it out of curiosity. I am more concerned that quality controls are not employed earlier in the chain to prevent ingredients getting into our food that shouldn't be there - if the horses were bred and farmed for meat and adhered to strict controls re: age of meat and health of animal then I wouldn't care, but Horses are not farmed actively for the food chain so we cannot be sure that the horse meat in our food is not from an unhealthy source.

I agree completely that the best thing to come out of this scandal is the increase in british sources - that can only be good for the economy and I'm surprised that we don't source more food 'locally' so anything that ends up supporting the british farming industry can't be a bad thing.
    Are you actually me in disguise?

I agree with all the above. I have voluntarily bought, cooked and eaten horse, but not in the UK.

I am concerned only because, if quality control is this lax, what else is in these products that shouldn't be... and was the horse meat fit for consumption? I am also concerned that the mis-representation means that those with religious objections to certain meats have probably been eating them all along if they buy processed products.

Like AMLightfoot, we buy and eat few processed meat products. I even buy sausages from my local butcher and he makes his own. I believe his ingredients list.

2. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

AMLightfoot (27th February 2013)

Thank Post
    If horse was available in Tesco I would buy it, I have eaten far worse on my travels.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Are you actually me in disguise?

I agree with all the above. I have voluntarily bought, cooked and eaten horse, but not in the UK.

I am concerned only because, if quality control is this lax, what else is in these products that shouldn't be... and was the horse meat fit for consumption? I am also concerned that the mis-representation means that those with religious objections to certain meats have probably been eating them all along if they buy processed products.

Like AMLightfoot, we buy and eat few processed meat products. I even buy sausages from my local butcher and he makes his own. I believe his ingredients list.
    Indeed. Another good thing to come out of this might be that more people might start buying the raw ingredients rather than buying 'ready prepared'. I've witnessed it myself in ASDA where women who may have previously bought an ASDA Frozen Lasagne are now buying pre-chopped onions, mince and a jar of Dolmio. Okay, so it's not ideal - ideally they would make the sauce from scratch (we do and it's lovely because if I have wine open the food gets a dose and if I don't have wine open, it's a good excuse to open a bottle) but it's a step up from poor quality ready meals and at least they know the majority of what is in it.

Thank Post
    We cultivate the bovine and the fowl as cattle. Other countries cultivate the equine, the feline, the canine and many others as cattle.

I, honestly, see no difference. Just because we domesticate an animal, that doesn't mean its meat is suddenly off-limits as a form of sustenance. Honestly, if someone plonked a horse steak down in front of me and says "Bam, that's horse. 100% horse.", I'd take a bite. The same goes for other 'unconventional' meats. I've eaten rabbit before, although rabbit meat admittedly doesn't cause as much disgust. It was alright. Quite tough, but not bad.

The fact that I may have eaten horsemeat doesn't bother me. Bit of a shame, though. I'd have liked to have known what I was paying for. The bit that bothers me is the fact that these horses might not have been cultivated as cattle. There's no way we can trace them, realistically, so we cannot know if they were reared without the use of any possibly harmful substances. But, if drugs were used on them, it's a bit late now, I've already (hypothetically) scoffed it, and as far as I'm concerned I've had no ill effects. So honestly, I'm not particularly phased by it.

I don't eat that much beef, anyway. Much more of a chicken person. On the rare occasion I do eat red meat, it's usually pork/bacon or lamb.
    Last edited by Garacesh; 27th February 2013 at 04:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ever since this story broke, there have been a proliferation of signs outside farm shops/butchers, etc, saying "100% Beek, NO Horse meat here"!

I find this rather amusing.

I do agree that it's hardly the worst thing that could happen. The drugs entering the food chain are the biggest threat....but even then it is probably* negligable.

The same goes for other 'unconventional' meats. I've eaten rabbit before, although rabbit meat admittedly doesn't cause as much disgust. It was alright. Quite tough, but not bad.
    This is true. We laugh at the Korean dog kebabs, and yet it is perfectly natural to that culture. As for rabbit....skinned and cooked one in the scouts (many, many years ago!) and I enjoyed it. I would eat practically anything....as long as it wasn't an insect!

*That's my best guess, based on the info I've read.

Sent from someone who does cook stuff from scratch and rarely has a processed meal!
    Last edited by aerospacemango; 27th February 2013 at 04:39 PM.

Thank Post
    To me the Horse meat isn't the concern, its the horse tranqulisers/painkiller and other animal drugs that could be in there. Having eaten Cheval Steak twice in france, i actually like Horse meat.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HaleStorm View Post
    To me the Horse meat isn't the concern, its the horse tranqulisers/painkiller and other animal drugs that could be in there. Having eaten Cheval Steak twice in france, i actually like Horse meat.
    But if you've been eating it, you've been eating it for 14 odd years, hasn't done anyone any harm.

Fair enough, eating animal drugs doesn't exactly sound perfect, but even veg have fertilisers on them which could be considered dangerous in some cases

Thank Post
    It makes me wonder what else is in there. Animal feed used to be bulked out with such things as banana skins and even sawdust. How do we know similar isn't also happening.

Thank Post
    It doesnt suprise me hugely and that is the worrying thing, the apathy and complete lack of suprise to this stuff I find, I am a bit concerned, but not overly as I have always tried to use local butchers for mince/sausage and meat purchases, supermarket meat tends to be pretty bland and tasteless stuff I find when you buy cuts/mince from them.

Shows though if anything what goes on when they try and drive prices down, but this is what our government/mass population want rather than going to a local shops with locally sourced produce.

What I find more alarming is that these meats when slaughtered get bounced around the different countries for various parts of the cutting and processing, which to me actually introduces the chance of tampering occuring into the food chain.

I will wager not much will be done here though overall, though the government might prove me wrong and bang them all up for their involvement along with all the bankers that were jailed for bringing our country to its knees financially.

Thank Post
    I'm irritated that they are only checking "beef" products for "horse" - lets have some proper testing - who knows what other rubbish is in there? Though like others here - it doesn't affect me directly as I cook from scratch. I enjoyed one of this article

The meat scandal shows all that is rotten about our free marketeers | Will Hutton | Comment is free | The Observer

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Tesco have said they'll be passing on the costs to the consumer.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Tesco were on the news earlier saying they will now use primarily british sources for *all* of their food (the guy couldn't stress this enough) so we may actually be seeing things only when they are in season - which is how I personally eat.

I do not eat strawberries anytime out of summer, and I buy fruit and veg from my greengrocer (if I cannot grow the items myself). It is fine for me like this.

As for horse, well, I have eaten the following (in the UK) with no ill effect.

Zebra, Kudu, Ox, Yak, Horse, Camel, Alligator, Snake, Lizard, Squirrel, Rabbit, Pigeon, as well as the "offal" from all of these creatures. Only thing I do not recommend eating out of all of these are horse and zebra kidneys, they are incredibly bitter.

Thank Post
    id honestly be more worried about whats in cheap sausages. ive eaten horse before and cant remember hating it. it is imo more a trust issue if it says beef on the box thats what should be on it. i do eat mainly frozen meals as im lazy and not a great cook and cooking for 1 i find depressing

Thank Post
    It thought with this crisis as well that it cant be a surprise to a lot of people, because when you look at the packet in things like sausages from the "big four" and see things like 45% meat content, people cannot honestly think that it isn't all of those by-products and rubbish anyway to make up that other 55%. I have gone very "Anti-eating" sh*t the last couple of years here myself and look at a lot of the stuff I buy contents wise.

A lot of people are content though it seems to "believe the illusion" when it comes to products and actually blindly follow a brand/supermarket rather than read the contents, which is why I am glad in a way this thing has happened, because at last people can see the illusion isn't there anymore when it comes to their £1 lasagne having beef in it, over spending an hour and cooking a meal together. Convenience always comes at a cost.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    id honestly be more worried about whats in cheap sausages. ive eaten horse before and cant remember hating it. it is imo more a trust issue if it says beef on the box thats what should be on it. i do eat mainly frozen meals as im lazy and not a great cook and cooking for 1 i find depressing
    Never buy cheap sausages. They are mostly filler for one, lack any flavour for another, and aren't worth the money.

Butchers are the best source for sausages. If not there, then the finest range from Co-op are pretty good.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast