+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Companies selling details... in General; Out of the 10 new emails this morning, one has got me a bit concerned. Apparently, Becky McCartney "would like ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,902 Times in 1,315 Posts
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Companies selling details...

Out of the 10 new emails this morning, one has got me a bit concerned.

Apparently, Becky McCartney "would like to add [me] to [her] professional network on LinkedIn"

Firstly... Who the [censored] are you? and HOW THE BEJEZUS DID YOU GET MY WORK EMAIL?!

Apparently she works for Ideonic and Skull Monkey, 2 companies I've never heard of until today.

Ideonic is a game company [I think... their site looks good but has NO information] so I wouldn't have approched them for anything. Skull Monkey appears to be her freelance business... And a quick search of the BETT site for them has 0 results, meaning there's very little chance I got drive-by scanned. [Though, Edugeek isn't on there either...]

But, even if they were at BETT... Why would you randomly send LinkedIn invites to someone you don't know?

Am I right in being wary of this or am I just overthinking it?

Thank Post
    I setup a fresh email address for my BETT registration this year, it hasn't been used for anything else - I ticked all the boxes saying I didn't want to be contacted by anyone etc..

That email address gets two or three unsolicited emails a day from people I have never heard of.. mostly IT businesses trying to sell me things I don't want.

either there are clever robots out there that discover all manner of unpublished email addresses - or most likely, our addresses have been sold!

Thank Post
    Since I swapped jobs 6 months ago I've been inundated with requests on Linkedin.....the very first one I , rather foolishly, accepted the link and within 5 minutes (genuinely no exaggeration) the guy was on the phone wanting to speak to me about "following up from a previous meeting"!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread