+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, PAT testing... in General; I was told this morning that "any device that has an earth connection needs a full PAT test", which I ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries

PAT testing...

I was told this morning that "any device that has an earth connection needs a full PAT test", which I believe is wrong.

As far as I was aware, PAT tests are not a legal requirement, only ensuring that equipment is safe.

I also thought that there were basically 4 parts to PAT testing:

Visual
    Insulation
    Continuity
    Leakage

Further, there are a pile of different classes of equipment, each one being treated slightly differently.

For example, a PC base unit would be a visual + earth bond at 100mA and an insulation test, and the power lead would be tested on its own also (as a visual check, earth bond at 25A and insulation and polarity)?

Am I also right in thinking that the Code of Practice which covers PAT testing gets updated semi-regularly? When was the last update?

The reason I ask is simply one of worrying about equipment being wrecked. As in we have borrowed some moving head lamps and the site manager wanted to do a full array of tests on them, rather than determining what class of device they are and using the correct tests for them...
    Last edited by localzuk; 27th February 2013 at 08:55 AM.

Thank Post
    Very recent indeed. So recent, that the local Tech College were persuaded to refund my PFY's training fee as they were using the old one just before xmas.

Testing Electrical Equipment CoP (4th Ed) - IET Electrical

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,597 Posts
    The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 require that any electrical equipment that has the potential to cause injury is maintained in a safe condition. However, the Regulations do not specify what needs to be done, by whom or how frequently (ie they don't make inspection or testing of electrical appliances a legal requirement, nor do they make it a legal requirement to undertake this annually).
    PAT - Portable appliance testing FAQs | HSE

Your insurers, however, may require annual testing of all earthed appliances.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Interesting that its *that* recent. As the people who do PAT testing here haven't updated their knowledge for years, at least 5 years probably more.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The reason I ask is simply one of worrying about equipment being wrecked. As in we have borrowed some moving head lamps and the site manager wanted to do a full array of tests on them, rather than determining what class of device they are and using the correct tests for them...
    All decent hire companies would normally have made sure equipment was tested before sending it out on a job. Could you not get confirmation from them about when it was last tested?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_ View Post
    All decent hire companies would normally have made sure equipment was tested before sending it out on a job. Could you not get confirmation from them about when it was last tested?
    Not hired. Borrowed from a friend of the school, who does lighting stuff in his off time. Who is also a qualified electrician. They have been tested by him, and have a full manufacturer's service history too. But that's kinda beside the point, as it appears the school still operates a policy of ignoring other peoples' tests and does its own.

Which is what has me worried - if the wrong types of tests are done and the lights get wrecked, then we end up with a 1200+ bill.
    Last edited by localzuk; 27th February 2013 at 08:58 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Take advice from the manufacturer on what tests to run and that will probably confuse him enough to leave it alone perhaps? I would guess they could be tested as a computer device myself though.

Thank Post
    Hi All,

Need some urgent advice please!

The horror that is PAT has raised its ugly head and landed with a heavy thump, fairly and squarely on my desk

I had some training about a year ago, but most of it has managed to leak out of my head since then...

Not the basics as such, more of the use of the fantastically old, expensive and complicated tester we use.

PAT testing...-seaward_supernova.jpg

Looking for a fairly cheap, plug in/green light ok type of tester.

Any one use one?

Kol.

Thank Post
    No. Because they don't tell you anything.

That said, if you want a second hand one, drop me a PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread