+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Ofsted vs Network Managers in General; I went to a talk before Xmas from an esafety inspector who told us that as esafety has been pushed ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I went to a talk before Xmas from an esafety inspector who told us that as esafety has been pushed up the agenda we should expect a visit from the OFSTED inspector in the future to discuss what we do to protect our kids.
    He was pretty certain that this was going to happen.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    I find it a bit insulting that OfSted don't speak to VLE or ICT support staff. In 10 yeas I've never once spoken to an inspector. Considering back in 2006 it was announced all schools had to have a VLE ( from 2008 - a requirement which was then scrapped admittedly), yet ours has never been audited.

I think it's probably because, in the nicest possible way, inspectors are former teachers who left front line teaching before the latest IT revolution. Still frustrating though not to be thought of as important enough to be inspected. But then as far as I now, the data manager isn't spoken to either. It does show the limited vision of these inspections.
    The inspectors have a very short period of time to focus on on a few specific areas of the school. The focus of the inspection will always be driven by pupil progress. Unless the IT is seen to be having a major impact on pupil progress, I cannot see why they should need to discuss anything with the network staff.

In the days of 5 day inspections, long since gone, they had time to find out more about the school. Now they only have time find out the impact of interventions on vulnerable groups and to assess the teaching.

Thank Post
    Since I started here as NM we have had 3 OFSTED inspections, the most recent in September, and i have to say it is the cushiest time i have as a NM. For 3 days the phone never rings, no-one complains and i am forbidden from making any changes to the system. In other words enjoy it, put your feet up and don't worry about it, but most of all don't leave your office. Lol.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 1,466 Posts

Thank Post
    We've spoken to them a few times and we ensure SLT are prepped regarding what we do around e-safety (and network security in general).

But mostly, we act as guides when we spot one looking lost in the labyrinth around the history dept.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Lucky you we do too.

In our last 3 inspections I've never had to speak to them.

Ben

Same here, having been in IT for a School about 10 years now I have never talked to Ofsted. I have never been asked to provide materials or any E-Safety etc.

Thank Post
    I spoke to to an Ofstead inspectector when they came to inspect my school a couple of years ago - she wanted to know where the ladies toilets were.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,458 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The only time I saw Ofsted last year was when the Head asked me, in an astonishingly transparent move, to take a laptop & speakers into their borrowed office so the recently-recorded orchestral CD could be played to them.

I imagine that the speakers were turned off within 30 seconds of me leaving the room.

Thank Post
    Pretty much what everyone else has said. A veteran of about 10 OFSTED visits in a 20 year career (used to be in a failing organization before I got here so had them in every year) and have yet to be directly involved. OFSTED is a teachers/management procedure, so apart from spending the days before a visit making sure everything is working properly and sorting out whatever they need in their base room, the actual visit is a time to watch the cricket on Sky Go and resist the urge to make any system changes....

Been in this school for 4 years now and have still to have OFSTED pay a visit, last time was 2006 apparently

Andrew

Thank Post
    I just have to confirm what the majority is saying: my impression is that they have a specific focus in active teaching and learning and a hunger for finding out results

Day 1 has passed and no direct contact whatsoever. Have been a long-hours day but extremely quiet. Me and the technicians have been most of the time in the IT office, watching the walls (and the goals of yesterday’s match Barcelona-Madrid) and only leaving to fix specific problems and come back again to our cave. They are four inspectors and they're interviewing teachers and students as they go along.

Not sure if tomorrow I’ll get a knock in the door, probably not!

Thank Post
    Pretty much the same for us.

Ben

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    But then as far as I now, the data manager isn't spoken to either. It does show the limited vision of these inspections.
    Good! I have yet to go through an OFSTED as data manager but I can foresee the data requests coming thick and fast from SLT and the Narrowing Co-Ordinator!

Thank Post
    Our data person spent all day producing various reports as requested.

Ben

Thank Post
    We had an Ofsted inspection just before half term (so around 2 weeks ago). The inspectors were here for 2 days and other than when they introduced themselves on the first day I didn't see them again

Thank Post
    We don't have ofstead but ISI, in the last inspection the inspectors wanted to see that we had backups of the schools MIS system and that we could pull a childs record up from a few years back. Was strange as we have never had contact with the inspectors in the past.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast