+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Laptops or IPads for KS1 in General; One of my schools "might" have a few quid spare for IT and since the ICT CO-ordinator is a KS1 ...

Thank Post

Laptops or IPads for KS1

One of my schools "might" have a few quid spare for IT and since the ICT CO-ordinator is a KS1 teacher, they would like the new toys for them

(No problem with that - Juniors are within few feet of a 20 PC suite and we have 15 netbooks in the school as well)

KS1 currently have a couple of old laptops/class so we are looking at either a 15 Win7 Laptops or 15 IPads in a trolley (as price is similar)

What do you reckon - give the IPads a go and see what we can get out of them (Obviously some nice apps that are fun/cheap and easy to use) or stick with tradition (2Simple/Tizzy's Toy Box type software) on PCs.

If you work in a primary - what do you think?

Or if you have young kids, which one would you want your childs school to go for?

regards
    Simon

Thank Post
    Spare few quid for 15 ipads - wish i had a spare few quid LOL

Have they or the school ever used ipads before anywhere else in school? Could require someone to drive the ipads otherwise they could stand to become expensive internet browsers.

Personally i'm all for trying new things with staff if they are on board.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    If you work in a primary - what do you think?
    Don't get the iPads unless you know what you're using them for.

If they can come up with a plan on how to use the iPads, then consider them. Also, why iPads? Why not android? [Or Windows?]

Or if you have young kids, which one would you want your childs school to go for?
    I don't... But, if I did, I'd rather they spent the money on something useful rather than something that is just going to be unused [or not used to the full extent] and become a new toy for the teachers.

Thank Post
    No ipads in school at moment

Every teacher I meet with an Ipad shows me wonderful apps and wishes they could have a load in their school

As I said the ICT Co-ord is KS1 so it would be driven.

This is a a pure - there is X grand to be spent - so do we buy Ipads (as that's the tablet with all the lovely edu apps) or buy some laptops and use exisiting 2Simple type stuff.

Simon

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    so do we buy Ipads (as that's the tablet with all the lovely edu apps) or buy some laptops and use exisiting 2Simple type stuff.
    Why not do both?

That is, if you're using the web based 2Simple stuff and not the desktop version.

You could also look at setting up RDP connections for the iPads to continue using desktop software. [New project?]

As I said, if you have a good idea of how you're going to use them, go for it. Although, I would look at whether it HAS to be iPads. [I've had the conversation recently... "Why does it have to be android?" "Because we want $expensive_app..."]

Thank Post
    Can you see what other KS1 schools are doing in your area and get some ideas from them.

Thank Post
    Why not do both?

That is, if you're using the web based 2Simple stuff and not the desktop version.
    No - we've got the desktop stuff

You could also look at setting up RDP connections for the iPads to continue using desktop software. [New project?]

The idea is that ipads are easy to use but we don't have same apps so learning curve - not going to going to get KS1 pupils/staff RDPing into the suite

One of those threads that's not going the way I intended

Simon

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The idea is that ipads are easy to use but we don't have same apps so learning curve - not going to going to get KS1 pupils/staff RDPing into the suite
    Our Foundation stage know more about how to use the system than some of the staff...

One of those threads that's not going the way I intended
    X-13 : Never knowingly helpful.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The Joy of iPads is the versatility of being able to switch apps and essentially turn it into a whole new tablet. The learning curve isn't steep as the interface is intuitive and you can lock them down to whatever restrictive configuration you so desire.

The price these days is comparable to laptops too which is nice. I would say if you have netbooks and desktops already, why not try out a few iPads?

I can PM you some prices too if you like (for iPads or Laptops) I also have some excellent 3 year Accidental damage packages at a very reasonable price which should give you peace of mind if they're being used with KS1.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Why not do both?

Did Windows for Workgroups and DOS an 98 support MSTSC and Remote Apps.... This is SimpleSi we are talking about who still thinks that XP is scarily modern and has no place in his systems.....

Thank Post
    Hey - I'm into Hyper-V now

However, it is just to run a WFWG3.11 VM

Simon

Thank Post
    If there's something you actually need to keep your current infrastructure running the way you'd like, put up a fight to do that. If you've got money for a trial, I'd be tempted to give the iPads a go. Despite everything I've said about needing to know what problem you're solving before spending any money on ICT, there is a point where someone has to find out what is possible so that everyone else can work out whether it's something they want to do once you've found out, you can report back so that I can decide whether to part with my money!

A year ago, they looked difficult to manage, but things have moved on quite a lot - still quite a lot to get to grips with, but I reckon quite doable now.

Some things that I think work particularly well in schools / KS1:

They are instantly on and the battery lasts all day. This means ad hoc use is much more possible - getting 15 netbooks booted up and ready to use needs to be planned. If you use netbooks in the morning, you need to make sure they get charged at lunch time to make sure they'll last the afternoon.

App lock on iOS 6 makes it easy to keep the kids on task (I know you can do similar in Windows, but it seems to be easier and is free with iOS)

There are lots of great educational apps for the iPad and plenty free or low cost for you to try.

The touch interface seems much less of a barrier to accessing the purpose of the lesson than keyboard and mouse, especially for the younger kids. Also if we're supposed to keep up with current technology, at some point, we need to start introducing touch interface devices into our portfolio.

They're really portable, so taking them outside can work really well. Think about the iPad minis - they might work better than the full size ones for KS1 size kids and you'd be able to get more of them.

Couple of notes:

The 2Simple / purple mash web stuff is flash based, so will never work on iOS devices - they do have some apps for iOS but they're separate.

As lots of people have mentioned, make sure your wifi can hack it.

They won't do what windows machines do - if you try to use them the same way, everyone will be frustrated.

You need someone to drive the project or you'll end up with expensive web browsers.

I'm not saying they're must have items or a panacea to everything ICT and you can find endless lists of reasons why you shouldn't get ipads. I'm just trying to give some ideas of things where they offer something different.

Thank Post
    The primary I help out at recently got a batch of iPad's in for their kiddies, and they've been received quite well. I've not had to do anything with them save hook them into the wireless and the proxy. Although, two weeks in, we did have a smashed screen. In the hands of kids they can be quite easy to damage. Laptops are more robust, however I've noticed the kiddies have little patience with trackpads, so if you follow the laptop route, be prepared to chuck in some USB mice, too.

The app selection seems fairly decent. Although the ones they have are rented (big uh-oh's with that smashed screen, I should expect..) so there isn't any immediate scope to add apps as-and-when, and there's also a few apps on there the head's got on to the company about because she wants them removed. I honestly haven't seen a single staff member using one as an expensive web browser yet. They don't really get used in conjunction with the windows side of the network, and I'm pretty sure they're aware of the fact that they can't. They consider them 'standalone' as far as I'm aware, and that's fine by me.

The touch-screen is very easy for the kids to pick up and they're much less likely to try and abuse them than high school kids. Honestly I wouldn't even consider them for the kids at my main school (high school) but things aren't going quite as bad as I'd expected at the primary.

The same question has already come up in this thread as usual. If tablets, fine. But why iPads? What's wrong with Windows tablets or Android?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    The same question has already come up in this thread as usual. If tablets, fine. But why iPads? What's wrong with Windows tablets or Android?
    Personal opinion, but my impression from what I saw at BETT was that the windows 8 tablets don't have the edu apps yet - they can run conventional windows stuff, but I wouldn't buy a tablet to run those. My main issue with Android is also related to one of its strengths: it's forever being updated (great) but not all hardware manufacturers support all the updates. After 3 years, I reckon you'd end up with tablets that wouldn't be able to run half the Apps in the store. iPads seem least bad tablet option at the minute.

Thank Post
    Valid points, but in that case, are you not just going for the 'shiniest turd'? Is that really what you want to be doing?

I'm not trying to sway you one-way-or-the-other (as much as I am a grumble-grumble-apple-grumble, I still admit they're working quite well in the primary) but are you sure there's no better option that's actually 'good' and not just 'least bad'?
    Last edited by Garacesh; 28th February 2013 at 10:35 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast