+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Car problems in General; Anyone in here know enough about cars to give me some advice? Just turned up at work and lots of ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Car problems

Anyone in here know enough about cars to give me some advice?

Just turned up at work and lots of steam coming out of the front grill. Didn't pop the bonnet to see where it was coming from (I know, I know). Went back 5 min later and it had stopped. I'm guessing overheating, something to do with the radiator? But there was no warning lights in the car and temp gauge was fine. Far to much to be caused by a "wet day".

It's an '03 plate Rover 45 deseil. Only had it 3 weeks, done nigh on 1000 miles already. Problem is it's a 15mi drive home and this is a very rural area. What do I do?

Check the water in the rad, and drive it straight to the garage (two turnings from where I live)?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Definitely check the water level could be a split hose rather than overheating especially as guage was okay unless it's a faulty guage.

Ben

3. Thanks to plexer from:

tmcd35 (26th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Here's my question - since I'm useless at these things and have no Idea whats wrong - what's the likelihood of me driving it 15mi to the garage without causing any damage? (or causing damage that isn't beyond economical repair?)

Thank Post
    I had this happen in the summer (on the driver over to a family I was going to Devon with... grr) and my car did the same.
    Had the "smell" of coolant steaming as I drove over, saw the temp rising above its normal happy point until fan kicked in.

In my case, the radiator was broken, but not the expected way of a hole due to a stone strike, but was bleeding out the top.
    Replaced rad after holiday (used fathers car for the holiday thankfully), and its been fine since.

Did find for a while, I was checking alot, I was worried about an other issues due to the v short period of "Red" on gauge.

With mine, when engine was warm (as in water was hot in rad), I could hear a slight hiss.

6. Thanks to Hawkeyez from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,729 Times in 2,308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wait till it cools, check the water levels, look for a green puddle under it, if so check where it looks to be comming from. If it is leaking quickly it might be better to get it towed. If its not bad fill it up and drive to the garage carefully at low rpms to keep the temp down.

It could be a split or blowen hose which is generally a quicker leak but a cheaper fix than a cracked radiator. If you have a torch you may be able to examine the hoses to and from the radiator better for damage. If you see some you may be able to patch it with tape and zip ties for the quick run back.

Thermometers in cars can be rubbish and fuse at a set temp or only show massive extremes. At any rate a garage in its near future is the best bet. Did it have anything mechanical done just beforehand? Once there was some oil left on my engine block which was fine till it heated up and burnt off with massive amounts of smoke from under the bonnet.

8. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Check under the oil cap for a mayo type gunge too.

10. Thanks to Danp from:

Thank Post
    Personally i would just call to get it towed... i had this on my rover 200 and the bottom of the rad had cracked open not a single drop of water left in it but they are very prone to head gaskets going only had mine 6 months before it went to the gods of the scrap heap

12. Thanks to mdench from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    Check under the oil cap for a mayo type gunge too.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdench View Post
    Personally i would just call to get it towed... i had this on my rover 200 and the bottom of the rad had cracked open not a single drop of water left in it but they are very prone to head gaskets going only had mine 6 months before it went to the gods of the scrap heap
    Okay, now you are frightening me! Just paid £1500 for this! Had the headgasket blow on my very first car so that's always at the back of my mind when I see steam.

@SYNACK, I didn't notice any odd smells and no obvious puddles under car (will double check when I go back). It looked a lot like steam - water vapor - pouring out the front grill and front sides of the bonnet.

I've scared my self before with rain until a noticed it was evaporating off the lights and top of the bonnet - this isn't that

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 817 Posts
    Blog Entries
    DON'T worry about head gasket too much - it's a Rover yes but it's also a diesel, meaning it's not a Rover engine. (not knocking them - without the K series Rover engines, cars wouldn't be as they are now). Check all hoses first but I strongly suggest getting it towed rather than risk further damage driving it anywhere.

Thank Post
    My engine management light is on on mine

Has been for 2 weeks now, I'm assuming it means its managing the engine well?

Apparently its the CAM sensor, obviously not sensing the CAM..(?) anymore. As I spent all my life so far on computers, cars unfortunately are beyond me. All I know is that if the car steams or overheats I usually stop, as keeping on going can be a lot worse for you in the long run (or not too short run depending on how far you drive with it overheating!)

Check and mark levels before and after you head home tonight, and keep and eye on the temp gauge, check the oil for mayo and check oil level. Also if you make it home tonight take out an AA membership!

Thank Post
    Ex mechanic- I'd leave the car to cool and then go and have a look to see if you can see anything obvious. Check the water level, top up and run with the bonnet up, check for any obvious leaks
    Steam coming out of the front grille doesn't suggest the head gasket has gone and as previously stated it doesn't have the dreaded K series engines where the headgasket will fail.

17. Thanks to difinity from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    My engine management light is on on mine
    Has been for 2 weeks now, I'm assuming it means its managing the engine well?
    Apparently its the CAM sensor, obviously not sensing the CAM..(?) anymore. As I spent all my life so far on computers, cars unfortunately are beyond me.
    Do you have a laptop and software to be able to plug in? I do with mine, saves me so much money, £40 a time just to have errors checked at my local garage.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 817 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by difinity View Post
    it doesn't have the dreaded K series engines where the headgasket will fail.

Dreaded my arse! Great engines with a couple of small "bugs" (Stretch head bolts, underrated gasket). Damn near an age-perfect engine when it's done properly!

Thank Post
    If you've only had it three weeks and you bought it from a dealer, speak to them. It's probably going to be their responsibility to put it right so ask them how they want you to proceed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    Do you have a laptop and software to be able to plug in? I do with mine, saves me so much money, £40 a time just to have errors checked at my local garage.
    Nope the AA told me it was the CAM sensor, where do you get the software / interface from?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast