+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, New home build PC - Windows 7 or 8? in General; My new rig will be complete by next weekend but I'm in two minds regarding sticking with Windows 7, or ...

Thank Post

New home build PC - Windows 7 or 8?

My new rig will be complete by next weekend but I'm in two minds regarding sticking with Windows 7, or upgrading to Windows 8. From what I hear, Windows 8 is better in most ways around performance, memory/CPU usage and disk writing, but the crappy Metro interface puts me right off!

If you were in my position, what OS would you go for?

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've grown very used to using [avoiding] Metro so I've no regrets about using Win 8 so far. You'll find yourself quickly seeking third party stuff like FoxIt and Irfanview to ditch the Metro apps.

I'd say go for whatever is cheaper but have a look at some tips and tricks videos to brace yourself for Win 8 if you choose it and remember the holy mantra of WinKey+X.

3. Thanks to CAM from:

Rawns (23rd February 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    If you were in my position, what OS would you go for?
    Being one of the few people who bothered buying a touch-screen Windows 7 machine a couple of years ago, I upgraded to Windows 8 Pro a month or so ago and haven't had any problems with it. I don't quite get all the fuss about the start menu - instead of the Start menu you now get the start screen, it all seems to work reasonably enough. My Windows 8 machine is joined to my Samba 4 domain and, again, seems to work just fine.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,679 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8 is way quicker, go with that. It's easy enough to get used to 8 and if not just use one of the start menu replacements as above. If you pin most stuff to the taskbar anyway you probably won't notice a difference apart from the speed and reliability improvements.

Have been running 8 on my user facing home gear for a while now and its good.

Thank Post
    Windows 8, like as said above if you can't get on with the Start Screen after trying for a while, install a start menu replacement (Start8 I would go with)

Thank Post
    Windows 8 I would say as well, the start menu change at the beginning is a LOOOT to get used to(I hated it at first and ended up downgrading initially, before biting back and trying it kickin and screaming), but after a bit of perseverance you will see how much better that OS is, it has some truly lovely features and works largely flawlessly, images also seem a lot sharper to me than previous versions of windows.

The change to begin with is the worst thing, but its worth it when you get over it I feel.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would personally go for Windows 8, The Metro UI seems to be putting off a lot of people but in all honesty it's not even a problem! I hardly use it myself because there is no need to use it how they want you to use it on a Touch Device. When you have a non-touch device then just get used to pressing the windows key, and then using the power of search you can get what you want quicker than using the start menu! :-)

Windows 8 Integration with the new Cloud Offerings for Home Users is perfect, and ticks all of the boxes!

Great Operating System, and I don't think I would go back to Windows 7 although as I have no hate against that either if i were to have to use it I would have no problems what so ever, and the fact you get used to pressing windows key for start menu access well that is the same because you have had the ability to do that since the early windows releases.. in windows 7 though you can still search for the applications.

:-)

James.

Thank Post
    What are you using the PC is being used if you plan on playing games then Windows 7 deals with DirectX 11 and fps better and steam doesn't support windows 8. So if games then 7 if high processing programs then 8.

10. Thanks to thesk8rjesus from:

Rawns (25th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,679 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thesk8rjesus View Post
    What are you using the PC is being used if you plan on playing games then Windows 7 deals with DirectX 11 and fps better and steam doesn't support windows 8. So if games then 7 if high processing programs then 8.
    I thought steam still worked in desktop mode.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I thought steam still worked in desktop mode.
    Still works but is unsupported but of course the forums will probably help out

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Steam does, they just don't support metro.
    W8 here with no issues.
    Value took ages to add jump lists with w7 as well.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 24th February 2013 at 04:32 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,940 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thesk8rjesus View Post
    Steam doesn't support Windows 8.
    Considering that the percentage of people using Windows 8 on Steam will shortly surpass those with XP, I don't think most gamers care what Valve thinks.

Thank Post
    Interesting to Know steam is happy on Windows 8 considering how anti-Windows 8 Valve actually are. If it did not work, that would be the decider for me.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,444 Times in 1,892 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Interesting to Know steam is happy on Windows 8 considering how anti-Windows 8 Valve actually are. If it did not work, that would be the decider for me.
    Steam is happy, but a fair few games aren't. (And oddly, some games play better on Windows 8 than on Windows 7 - SimCity 4 for example).

Personally, if you're happy to lose some older games (you can always dual boot), I would say go Windows 8. As much as I dislike 'Modern UI', the performance gain in using Windows 8 over 7 is considerable.

Thank Post
    I'd go (and have gone) for W8, as it seems to perform much better than W7 IMHO. (Plus you can probably get it at a better price!)

Can't see why the fuss about the ModernUI but, as many have said, that can be changed if you can't get on. You can also mount ISOs in the OS rather than using a 3rd party application.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast