+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Forces reserves. Anyone in them? in General; Are any edugeekers in the Reserves of any of the Armed Forces? I'm just wondering how the workplace would feel ...
    Thank Post

Forces reserves. Anyone in them?

Are any edugeekers in the Reserves of any of the Armed Forces?
    I'm just wondering how the workplace would feel about somebody being out for at least 15 days a year?

DT2
    Lakeville, Carleton County, New Brunswick
    Thank Post
    I was in the TA for 7 years. What I learnt was that every workplace is different in their approach. By law they have to provide provisions for "special service" in your contract. This includes Jury duty and reservist duties. They are NOT allowed to discriminate against you because you are a reservist. The agreement I had with work at first was 2 weeks unpaid leave per year, that eventually reduced to 1 week unpaid, and I had to take the other week from my holidays.
    Be honest with them. You have the armed forces act 2006 on your side, make sure you know it inside out, because I've seen cases where guys have had a hard time made for them because of their service, yet the companies always find other "reasons" to cover their a$$es. Being a reservist or TA (STAB as were are fondly known) is a very rewarding choice, and can often benefit your civvie employer due to the skills you learn as a soldier. Few people seem to realise this, but you will gain skills such as leadership, teaching, and first aid, all of which are useful in everyday life. There is a workplace support agency called Sabre, they will help as a liaison with your employer, and answer any questions you or they may have.
    I left a qualified machine gunner, .50 cal trainer, first aid trainer and team medic. Two tours of afghan, and all the hard work and trauma that goes with it, and I wouldn't change a single thing, it defines you as a person.
    I wish you all the best in your service, you'll need it. And just remember, if it was easy - everyone would be doing it!

DT
    Last edited by DT2; 21st February 2013 at 12:30 PM.

3. Thanks to DT2 from:

reggiep (21st February 2013)

Thank Post
    I'm with the RAF VR(T) - don't do much more than run a Air Cadet unit and so not liable to call up let alone receive any training (other than courses that are run within the Air Cadets).
    All the same my employer has been very supportive with it allowing me to come in wearing uniform on armed forces day and allow a week of unpaid leave while on summer camp.

Again having a constructive conversation with your line manager is the first place to start keeping in mind that you can bring in a lot to the job (First Aid, Leadership skills etc) back from your experiences.

Thank Post
    I did 13 years in the RAF and about three in the reserves. I just wondered if I felt like going back in how my workplace would feel about it!

DT2
    Lakeville, Carleton County, New Brunswick
    Thank Post
    You'll never know unless you ask

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread