+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Jobs for the Girls: Encouraging girls to consider qualifications and careers in IT in General; Meh, I only mention it because there was this one woman whom I managed to somehow offend by saying something ...

Thank Post
    Meh, I only mention it because there was this one woman whom I managed to somehow offend by saying something like the above... maybe I just phrased it wrong (or was drunk, or both).

Besides, you've got nearly 10 times my post thanks so I doubt you're not getting anywhere =]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Haha! I think that's more cus i talk utter rubbish and amuse people. If my rep worked in real life, my plans of world domination wouldn't be just plans..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    I think that's more cus i talk utter rubbish and amuse people.
    Key to life! =]

4. Thanks to Ephelyon from:

Little-Miss (21st February 2013)

Thank Post
    How long have you been working in IT?
    I have been on the field of IT for 14 years

Is this your first, second, third, etc career?
    This is my first career from leaving school

What other jobs / roles have you done previously?
    None

How many interviews did it take to get your first job in IT?
    My first IT role I got after my first interview

Have you ever felt that being female is a help or a hindrance to gaining a job in IT?
    I have felt both. For instance in the school environment it has helped as there seem to be more female teachers and they like to talk more to other tech femaleís. I have also found that because I can explain things in a non-technical way compared to other males I know this has also helped (sorry to the males that are very good at this). I have found being a female more of a hindrance in business. Many a time I have gone to a customerís site to fix a problem to be welcomed with the oh youíre a female! They soon change their tune once I have fixed their issue

If you were considering IT (or other engineering / programming careers) whilst at school what support did you receive?
    Didnít consider this as a career at school itís just something I feel into

6. Thanks to itgeek2008 from:

GrumbleDook (22nd February 2013)

Thank Post
    3 years

I worked as an IT technician for a year along side being a TA. This is my first full time roll.

Teaching Assistant

I was very lucky just the 1

Have you ever felt that being female is a help or a hindrance to gaining a job in IT?

8. Thanks to purpleoakley from:

Thank Post
    15 years

Is this your first, second, third, etc career? What other jobs / roles have you done previously?
    Not really had what I'd call a career before. Left school and ended up working in a bank for a few years, loading tape into "state of the art (or should that be ark!)" computers. Loads of part time jobs while my boys were little/at school. Never really knew what I wanted to do when I grew up and as I haven't grown up yet.......
    Ended up in IT after a European funded scheme to get women back to work after work break to raise children (their words not mine!), I ended up with a NVQ in ICT.

1. think my honesty shocked them! I knew very little about IT and told the network manager who was interviewing me that he had to ask me what a LAN was as it was the only bit of techie talk I knew!!!! Once he'd stopped laughing I think he realized I'd be honest about my abilities and was and still am willing to learn.

Yes and no. Back in the day it was a case of spot the techie, they were the ones that had their keys on their waistband and Im afraid I was a little too loud for most of them. (I am pretty loud but its just something to hide behind!) IT was a male stronghold but the world has changed thankfully. I think there are still some people that are shocked to find a woman doing the jobs that they expect to be geared towards men, but I think thats more of a generation thing. for example my father in law knows that I work in IT but was surprised to find me installing a projector, he thought I just "typed a bit" I don't think being a woman is a hindrance but I am beginning to wonder if being an older woman in IT is going to cause me issues. Not my abilities but other peoples perceptions.

If you were considering IT (or other engineering / programming careers) whilst at school what support did you receive?
    When i was at school there wasn't any computers (yep Im that old!!) I left school just before I was 16 and the closest thing my school offered to anything technical for girls was an electric typewriter.

sorry if I've waffled on a bit (no comments about my age ;p) Im still learning, I still enjoy what I do and I hope I'm still able to support my schools.

10. Thanks to Smee from:

Thank Post

5 years in 2 different jobs.

My career path is convoluted. I graduated with a degree in Geology but wasn't able to pursue my real interest due to lack of money (I couldn't afford to go to London to do my masters) so I ended up bumming around working in a well known high street newsagent for 2 years while I applied for various graduate management schemes I wasn't massively interested in but didn't know what else to do. In the end I was so bored of the Sales assistant role that I took a job as a Merchandising rep for a computer games supplier. When the company went into liquidation and we were looking at redundancy I took the opportunity to do my PGCE. I reached the end of it knowing that I would LOVE to teach IT and was advised by the head of IT in a school I wanted to work in that I should get a years experience in first line support and apply for an NQT role (there was more to it than that but basically he didnt have a position at that time but he had plans to increase the department the following year except he ended up leaving and nothing happened). Long story short, my Best Friend worked as a 2nd line tech in an IT company and told me they were recruiting so he got me an interview (there was a referral bonus involved here too) and I got the job. I worked there for nearly 2 years and got some experience and qualifications out of it. They made my friend redundant and he ended up working for Smoothwall and when I was looking to leave my previous job (I decided that teaching really wasn't for me after all) I had several interviews with all sorts of companies but no job offers so half jokingly he sent my CV to Smoothwall, I got an interview and the Support Manager at the time liked me and took me on. But I'm under no illusions that both of my roles in IT have largely come about because Jason has recommended me and vouched for my skill.

So technically, this is really my 5th career - Geologist > Sales Assistant > Rep > Teacher > IT Support Engineer.

My interest and skill in IT started really early though - in my early teens and took off when I met my best friend as he encouraged and shared knowledge with me and I learned from him. By the time I was 18 I was able to build my own hardware but never thought to pursue it as a career because I had other interests I wanted to pursue. It doesn't help that we didn't do IT properly at school - it was a 'short course' worth half a GCSE and I was on track for an A* until someone stole my coursework and resubmitted it as their own. I couldn't prove it because they'd stolen the disk with it on as the school wouldn't let us keep backups of our own (some weird coursework rule) so even though 50% of my grade was stolen, I STILL managed to get a C which just goes to show how well I must have done in the exam...

Geologist > Sales Assistant > Rep > Teacher > IT Support Engineer

Just one, but when I left my first IT job I had 5 or 6 interviews at other places.

I've never felt that, although it really does take a certain type of woman to do this job. It IS a heavily male dominated environment and I don't think every female personality type is suited to that. I've always got on better with men than with other women so I've never found it a problem - in fact I'm happier in an all male environment. I went to an all-girls school and I was miserable - I struggled to make friends because other girls find me quite intimidating. Men don't seem to have this problem so the majority of my friends are male. I do think there can be a lot of underestimation and assumption around women in IT though - I frequently answer the phone (both now and in my previous role) to customers and they ask to be put through to an Engineer. If I visit a customer site (and I don't currently do this but have before in my previous role) they are expecting a man and are visibly taken aback when I introduce myself. Some people have also had a tendancy not to trust my diagnosis and ask for a second opinion from a 'proper engineer'. This sort of attitude is becoming less and less prevailant but it still exists in places. I certainly encounter it a lot less now then I did in my first IT job.

Very little, but then IT wasn't a 'mainstream' subject when I was doing my GCSEs - the school only had one Windows machine with a 28.8kbps internet connection and MS Encarta! All the rest were non-networked Acorns (Wow, I really feel old when I remember that and it's my big 30 this year too!). When I was at school the IT teachers WERE the technicians - infrastructure was not sufficiently advanced to require separate management. I had a good relationship with them and they often afforded me additional priviledges. The Coursework situation really stung especially when they said they couldn't do anything. My teacher said to my face that he KNEW Zahra had stolen it because her coursework was 'too good' to be hers but he couldn't prove it and there was no actual evidence.

When I chose my A-levels at college our deputy head advised me to take Maths as it would support me in technical careers but that was about it. My 6th Form College didn't offer an IT A-level and I didn't have the proper GCSEs to do it at college so I did A-levels in Geography, Chemistry and Physics instead.

You're welcome to use this information for the discussion. I'm sure my observations that certain female personality types are not suited to the IT environment would be a source of great debate, but I honestly believe it's true - all the women in IT I've worked with have been analytical with strong personalities and a tendancy towards being quite no-nonsense. I'm so much happier in a nerdy, techy environment - even when I was teaching I used to escape over to the IT department. I find other women very difficult to work with.

That is not to say that I'm a 'tomboy' type - I'm totally the opposite. I adore Cats and have a Disney Princess obscession. I sew and crochet and make cute felt christmas decorations. I love looking at home furnishings and planning colour schemes and decor, I have minimal interest in cars and loathe sports. But I play World of Warcraft, tinker with computer hardware and have a technical screwdriver kit in the bottom of my handbag next to the lip balms, Kindle and pink cupcake diary!
    Last edited by AMLightfoot; 22nd February 2013 at 09:48 AM.

12. Thanks to AMLightfoot from:

Thank Post
    About 6 years (in a roundabout way)

Third. Before this job I was an IT training adviser for Apprenticeships and the only person qualified in the company to be able to assess the technical NVQs.

Mainly administration positions.

Quite a few, but I think this may be down to my unrelated career experiences.

I studied software engineering at university and I think it was a definite hindrance being female during my year in work for my course. The company took 6 of us and I was the only female, the manager we had just didn't have a clue what to do with me and I ended up getting all the pointless jobs. It totally knocked my confidence and when I graduated I just fell into administration.

I don’t remember getting any advice at school, there weren’t many computers there by the time I left so it was not really seen as a career. My parents advised me to look at what the IT courses at university required for A levels which at the time was Maths and Physics so I took those instead of an IT A level.

14. Thanks to Blackcatowner from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephelyon View Post
    I know this thread is for the ladies but I'm bored so thought I'd throw in a musing.

I also wanted to ask the ladies if what I'm about to say sounds sexist. Advance tip: it's really, really not meant to.

I tend to find that the women in IT are damn good. My musing is that, sexism aside and just looking at the statistics, it's pretty much a male-dominated field. I'm inferring from that that if you want to make it in IT as a woman, you have to be really good, so the ones who do make it, are. I've seen a fair few guys who make me wonder why they're in IT... but I've never actually had cause to think that about a woman.

Am I about to get roasted? :P
    You're not going to get roasted at all - I agree completely.

You see a lot of sub-standard male applicants for roles who have stumbled into IT because they didn't have anything better to do and it seemed better to do IT than nothing but some of the applicants I've seen can't even tell you what a Default Gateway is and claim to know about hardware but what they really mean is that they can connect their iPod to iTunes and know the difference between HDMI and VGA although struggle a bit with DVI and VGA! But usually when you see a female applicant she really has an interest and passion - you don't tend to see women in IT unless they really want to be there and have made the effort. I think it partly goes back to what I was saying about how not every female personality type is suitable for the environment and you'll probably find that a lot of women may have done IT but don't have the right personality and end up moving sideways into another type of role - administrative or training perhaps so the ones that are left are the ones that 'fit in'.

16. Thanks to AMLightfoot from:

Ephelyon (22nd February 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have to admit to having heated arguments with folk in RL about believing in meritocracy, and some of the fiercest ones have been with those striving for equal status for females ... who have actually been pushing for positive discrimination against males to allow more females into key roles ... I can understand why something needs to be done to force the change of status quo, but is this really the right way?

Oh ... and thanks for those who have added their details too.

Keep them coming folks.

Thank Post
    Cheers. 'Tis true, the BTEC ND in IT group that some of my friends were in years ago was, shall we say, very diverse. A few people who really wanted to get into IT as a career, but the rest were just dossing or couldn't decide what to do yet. Having said that, I did recommend a course like the BTEC to a young lad in Year 9 asking about career routes for IT the other week. I said to take Maths, Business Studies and IT for Options, then do a BTEC ND at college and progress to a BSc Applied Computing or an FdSc Enterprise Computing at uni. That's assuming he'd have to go all the way down to academic route without getting a job to kick off the experience chain in the middle.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    I have to admit to having heated arguments with folk in RL about believing in meritocracy, and some of the fiercest ones have been with those striving for equal status for females ... who have actually been pushing for positive discrimination against males to allow more females into key roles ... I can understand why something needs to be done to force the change of status quo, but is this really the right way?

Oh ... and thanks for those who have added their details too.

Keep them coming folks.
    I think this was the point behind my side note - gender specific (or ethnic or what ever else *ic) encouragement or advertising is one thing. Discrimination is discrimination is discrimination. Not giving someone a job based on their gender is wrong. Giving someone a job due to their gender is wrong. Maybe I have a weird view of the world - but surely skills, compentence and suitablility are what should get you a job - not "he is a bloke so is better" or "We havent met our quota of <<insert section of society>> they will have to have it".

It depresses me a bit that peoples solution to discrimination is more discrimination.

20. 2 Thanks to CamelMan:

AMLightfoot (22nd February 2013), GrumbleDook (25th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts
    I am sure that I am not alone in not wanting positive female discrimination. It proves nothing and devalues those of us who are good at what we do.

I would feel the same about discriminating positively for any other sector of society. It is important that nobody is discriminated against.

I think that what GD has been talking about is more about encouraging females to understand that there is no reason why they shouldn't become successful IT professionals. It is a career choice for females and not just males, in the same way that nursing is a career choice for males and not just females.

For whatever reason, it would appear that the archaic attitudes of my school in the 1970s still exist in the back of some girls minds. I was told by my headmaster that girls don't do science... girls aren't told that these days, but many of them still believe it. It's a hard nut to crack.

Thank Post
    about 7 or 8 years in total
    erm- unsure how to answer this one- as explained below
    got initial job as supply TA, the full time TA, then helped out wit ICT lessons, the tech left and got her hours while new building was being built and covered reception, moved to new building, was receptionist, and did a little ICT, then got moved to admin with a little TA support, now finally admin, with ICT Tech responsability, tho its becoming to much for me doing it part time and 1 day a week external help
    none
    not really if they think im dumb because im female, i soon put them right, also many primary techs i have met are female TA's with ICT responsabilty like i was
    not much really, was persuaded tht science was a better idea, but was more interested in the new tech coming out for special needs kids that i knew from the school i worked out, so that ended up being my path. Being a tech in a special school is a lot different froma a mainstream school because there are lots of extra equipment that you need to be aware of, luckily (or unluckily some might say) my remit also covers all communication devices within the school, and access kit, and i am supported well in that training.

23. Thanks to meadowgirl from:

GrumbleDook (25th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Iíve worked in IT since 2001. I worked in sales previously, which I juggled alongside being a full time mother. I fell into IT. During the turn of this century every job description seemed to require the use of IT skills, so I made a conscientious effort to get some. Before that I sold gas and electric, makeup, clothes and vitamins (to the health conscious) all door to door.

I must have attended roughly 50 interviews and applied for at least five times that much. I think my initial lack of success was more to do with not having a current driving licence, rather than my being a woman. I canít say whether I noticed if being a woman was a help or a hindrance in gaining a job in IT. Interestingly though, one benefit of being a woman in IT is that colleagues seem more willing to discuss their IT problems with me, I donít use a baffling array of technical lingo. A drawback to being a woman is that there are fewer opportunities to climb the career ladder, but isn't that a failing in every profession not just IT.

There were no computer lessons at my school and the only computers I remember were hidden away in the basement, converted by the resident geeks. (Strangely, that was a male only club!) However, we did have a strong science department which did have a 50/50 ratio of male to female teachers and perhaps an even larger ratio of female students. I was lucky to be part of a progressive school that encouraged feminism. (It wasn't a dirty word back then.) We had regular visits from prominent female sports, political and business personalities. So support was always at hand. Please feel free to quote me during the debate.

25. Thanks to kempa from:

GrumbleDook (25th February 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast