+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Decent CPU Cooler in General; Hi guys, Im looking at getting a new CPU cooler as my current one (Asus Royal Knight) is getting a ...
    Thank Post

Decent CPU Cooler

Hi guys,

Im looking at getting a new CPU cooler as my current one (Asus Royal Knight) is getting a bit old and to be honest, takes up to much space in the PC Case.
    I have been looking at the Corsair and Thermaltake sealed liquid cooling solutions

ThermalTake

Corsair

Any one use either of these? Any recommendations? Suggestions on decent quiet aircooled?

Cheers guys

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I use the H60 in my PC and have installed a H80i (new model) in a couple. They're cracking units and do save a hell of a lot of space. Performance is excellent too.

Thank Post
    +1 for the Corsair H60. Only had it a few weeks but not had a single problem so far. Real quiet, too!

Plus, that sweet, sweet 5-year warranty.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,968 Posts
    I have a Corsair H50 which used to be attached to a Q6600. IIRC, temps were around 4-6°C better than the Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme I had previously and it was great at keeping my overclocked processor cool during the summer.

However, the fans supplied with the H50 were far too noisy so I quickly replaced these with a couple of much quieter Scythe Slipstream fans (more expense!) and every so often I could hear gurgling noises from inside the cooler as the liquid moved around. This was slightly annoying at night when I was trying to go to sleep, although obviously not an issue if you keep your PC somewhere other than your bedroom or shut it down. Corsair also recommend attaching the fans to the radiator so they suck air into your case, which does make everything else hotter, but you can choose to ignore this advice if you wish (I did ).

The sealed coolers are fantastic if you move your PC around a lot, have a small case or want to save space (as @synaesthesia said), but given that newer processors don't get as hot as they used to, I think spending £90-£100 on one is a bit excessive, especially if you are not overclocking and don't need the Corsair Link stuff.

Since upgrading my PC to a Core i5-2500k, I decided to switch back to an air cooler and currently have a Thermalright HR-02 Macho. Despite its size, it was easy to fit, doesn't block my RAM slots and the cooling performance is great. It is also really light at 140 grams so won't snap the motherboard in half like the 900-1240 gram Noctua NH-D14 might.

Unless I had a small case like the Silverstone SG10, I would probably buy another air cooler again like the Thermalright Macho 120 (£29.99) or Noctua NH-U12P SE2 (£46.66).
    Last edited by Arthur; 15th February 2013 at 03:05 PM.

Thank Post
    I dont have a tiny case, its a Zalman Z9+ so its mid tower but by the time the 2 GPUs are in place and the CPU cooler there is very little space

As you can see from the attached pic(sorry the cabling isn't great, im waiting for my new PSU before i do any full on cable tidying)
    Decent CPU Cooler-img_20130215_163003-1-.jpg

The on a H100i/Water 2.0 extreme would fit in the roof of the case with no problem and I might actually be able to do things like swap out RAM without taking the cooler out

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,968 Posts
    The Swiftech H220 looks very interesting since you have the option of adding your graphics card into the loop in the future (among other things). It might be overkill though?

Because so many closed loop cooler vendors have been basing their designs off the same basic products from Asetek and CoolIT (and inheriting the quality control problems from CoolIT in some cases), they've been forced to differentiate through features and fans. Corsair's "i" series coolers get to enjoy the Corsair Link ecosystem with sophisticated fan controls, while NZXT's Krakens have decent software-based fan controls of their own.

Swiftech changes things. Since they're already established in the liquid cooling market, the H220 is positioned less as a closed loop cooler to just be marketed to the public and more as an entry into the world of liquid cooling. Swiftech wanted to make the H220 as easy as humanly possible to install while offering enough of a performance reserve that if someone wanted to open the loop and start tinkering, they could. At CES, the H220's pump was demonstrated keeping a pair of GTX 680s and an i7 cool.

... the radiator itself has a larger reservoir than the competition, is user accessible and serviceable, and is produced from higher quality materials. Instead of just using aluminum, the H220 has copper fins and brass tubing, which theoretically will allow it to both dissipate heat more effectively and last longer. That also means it's much heavier in the hand; when you hold the radiator you can feel the difference in a big way. (Source)
    We tested the excellent Noctua DH14 against the H220 cooler; using a 3930K @4.5G and 1.448v under 100% CPU stress (CPU-burn), we measured delta T (above ambient) of 51.3°C @ 1,300 rpm & 23 dBA (fan rating) for DH14 vs. 48.4°C for H220 @ same fan speed and 22 dBA (fan rating). (Source)

Thank Post
    thanks for that one @Arthur I would have probably replaced the stock fans with those silent typhoons like the swiftech ones anyway, as I use them in the rest of the case, they make pretty much 0 noise.
    Ill keep my eye on that on as it looks very well build along side the others

I also like the fact you can convert the radiator to use with a full water cooling system too
    Last edited by HaleStorm; 16th February 2013 at 08:58 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread